Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

Jake and Tara Hurlin here, with our (sort of) shared 2004 Jeep WJ ... (Really the wife's ride, she picked it).

We can never have a daily driver that remains stock, all our cars tend to be multi-purpose, and with getting a Jeep it was obvious that we needed to build it into an expedition rig.

Most important thing was to have the V-8 as opposed to the V-6, but then the dark grey color won Tara over. It was completely stock when purchased and was surprisingly well cared for.

Current mods include:
Rough Country 4" short arm lift kit
Quick disconnect front sway bars
32" Duratrack tires
Superchips programmer
3" exhaust
Airrade intake tube
Bushwacker fender flares
50" LED light bar and luggage rack

In progress in the garage:
*Welding together front and rear offroad bumpers, front has a winch mount and will have a small push bar, and rear has tire carrier mount.
*Roof rack extension is on the way.

Gadgets gathered for weekend expeditions:
First aide kit
Tool kit
Emergency Kit
Kitchen kit
Machete, knife, pocket knife, axe
Offroad traction boards (4)
High lift jack

Further wants:
Screened in Awning w/ hammocks for camping.
Front and rear air lockers
Rear/backup lights
Air compressor
Tire deflators
Solar power generator
Rock sliders (there's a bit of rust starting on rocker panels anyway)
Upgrade to long arm kit.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Jake and Tara Hurlin here, with our (sort of) shared 2004 Jeep WJ ... (Really the wife's ride, she picked it).

We can never have a daily driver that remains stock, all our cars tend to be multi-purpose, and with getting a Jeep it was obvious that we needed to build it into an expedition rig.

Most important thing was to have the V-8 as opposed to the V-6, but then the dark grey color won Tara over. It was completely stock when purchased and was surprisingly well cared for.

Current mods include:
Rough Country 4" short arm lift kit
Quick disconnect front sway bars
32" Duratrack tires
Superchips programmer
3" exhaust
Airrade intake tube
Bushwacker fender flares
50" LED light bar and luggage rack

In progress in the garage:
*Welding together front and rear offroad bumpers, front has a winch mount and will have a small push bar, and rear has tire carrier mount.
*Roof rack extension is on the way.

Gadgets gathered for weekend expeditions:
First aide kit
Tool kit
Emergency Kit
Kitchen kit
Machete, knife, pocket knife, axe
Offroad traction boards (4)
High lift jack

Further wants:
Screened in Awning w/ hammocks for camping.
Front and rear air lockers
Rear/backup lights
Air compressor
Tire deflators
Solar power generator
Rock sliders (there's a bit of rust starting on rocker panels anyway)
Upgrade to long arm kit.

That a great ride! What manufacturer did you go with for the light bar. I am thinking of upgrading the OB rig at some point. I like the round lights, but the incandescent is hard to justify these days with the LED options out there!

M

Turbo Tara & Jalopy Jake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

That a great ride! What manufacturer did you go with for the light bar. I am thinking of upgrading the OB rig at some point. I like the round lights, but the incandescent is hard to justify these days with the LED options out there!

M
It's a ProComp lightbar

I also love the look of the single circular flood lights, like the Hella lights... But I sacrificed looks for functionality. These suckers turn night time into day time!

Reactions: Michael

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice rig, i have a WJ also. Nice to see them gaining popularity in the build category.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I am in Indiana but i was in Traverse City last Thursday-Saturday. We drove all through T.C. and went up to Old Mission and up to Grand Traverse Lighthouse. It was a beautiful drive this time of the year! Then on the way back to Indiana we went through the Manistee National Forest and hit a few trails, that is where i took the picture above.

Turbo Tara & Jalopy Jake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

I am in Indiana but i was in Traverse City last Thursday-Saturday. We drove all through T.C. and went up to Old Mission and up to Grand Traverse Lighthouse. It was a beautiful drive this time of the year! Then on the way back to Indiana we went through the Manistee National Forest and hit a few trails, that is where i took the picture above.
Small world! Maybe it wasn't on the day that I thought it was. My days tend to run together. I think we DID see your Jeep parked in downtown Traverse City! I can't imagine anyone else having the same color jeep with the same wheels, rack and light setup around here.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Haha Yes it is a small world! We had a nice time up there. You live up that way?

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Ah gotcha, any good trails up that way? We went through Manistee on the Western side and there were some good ones there.

Turbo Tara & Jalopy Jake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

did a little wheeling at the local offroad park Twisted trails... and also some work on the new front bumper... rear bumper soon with 5th tire and swing out...

Attachments

HangryMachinist

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hollister
Member #

How is the ride with your 4" kit from Rough Country? I'm looking at that or Iron Rock OffRoad for my JGC. Like the look of your Rig very Much.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

How is the ride with your 4" kit from Rough Country? I'm looking at that or Iron Rock OffRoad for my JGC. Like the look of your Rig very Much.
If it's anything like the Rough Country lift I ad the ride is horrible. IRO is right down the road from me. They're a good bunch of guys and love their WJs.

Turbo Tara & Jalopy Jake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

Our rough country kit isn't that bad... But my last rig was a 72 scout on leaf springs so coils rid nice. I'm happy with the RC kit.. Wish we would of gone long arm is my only complaint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HangryMachinist

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hollister
Member #

SO my WJ's front drive shaft has a CV on it and everyone is saying that I will need to upgrade it so I don't have drive shaft shimmy. Did you guys do this drive shaft upgrade?

c_ema

Rank 0

Traveler I

Italy
First Name
Emanuele
Last Name
Cassani
In this moment your drive shaft work all extended and in not correct angle, especially out off t-case, it's possible in a future that it's broke rubber boot and go out grease and balls

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk