Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

SO my WJ's front drive shaft has a CV on it and everyone is saying that I will need to upgrade it so I don't have drive shaft shimmy. Did you guys do this drive shaft upgrade?

You have what's called a rezeppa joint on your drive shaft those don't take kindly to lifts... Ditch it and find a driveshaft from another jeep with a conventional double cardon joint the stock driveshaft will work up to 6 inch lifts after and even with 6" lift it would be wise to get a lengthened driveshaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Great WJs!!!

I have been working on mine for about a year. I don't want a mudtruck or competition crawler. I just want to be able to get over the mountain and still drive the highway.

Improvements so far...

3 in IRO suspension lift
32 in Kenda Klever MTs
HF VHF UHF ham radios, CB, and all band scanner
Highlander roof rack
40 in 240 watt light bar
2 45 watt spotties

Sent from my A1X PLUS using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman

Turbo Tara & Jalopy Jake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

Speaking of adventuring we did some of the ORV trails today. Was pretty muddy out in a few areas.. Fun stuff to explore..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLO Rob

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Thanks all.

Forgot to mention...

Changed front drive shaft to double card and added 1 in wheel spacers to improve the stance with the stock wheels (which I like)...

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I need to figure out how to turn off auto correct in this app....

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I'm running a 2.5" lift on my WJ and have no drive shaft issues. I've heard you only run into drive shaft issues at 4" or higher. I have a buddy with a 4" on his WJ and went a few month without issues until he went wheeling pretty hard with disconnected sway bars and really flexed the suspension. Now he has a vibration.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Every time I stretch her out I get some new pops and rattles until I snug up the control arm bolts. One of my projects is to replace all of the bushings and some of the arms. The rear upper is a known weak point and I have a spacer to add to correct for the lift. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage and have to work on it when the weather is good.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I saw your link and was just looking at that. It is nice, but I really want to get rid of the factory bumper for clearance and approach angle reasons. Still looking at their other versions. Thanks!!!

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Oh wow you got that to fit a lot better then I did. I didn't get the tire carrier one tho.
Looks good and yea gary is a good guy indeed.

What hitch do you have btw? Is it the stock through bumper one or an aftermarket one?

Turbo Tara & Jalopy Jake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake ann, MI
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Hurlin
Member #

Fits ok .. It doesn't tuck in as much as I would want .. If I spent more time and modified the mounts it would have but I'm happy with it and the gaps help with mud and dirt clean out... Had to relocate the Evap stuff.. And I retained the stock hitch . I do need to relocate my back up camera.. Down a inch or two.. And I'm going to cut the tire mount and angle it more so the top of the 5th tire tilts towards the rear glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk