Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
What is your primary carry jack? Floor/bottle/hi-lift?

I seen plenty of high$$ jacks and several Budget jacks, curious what you all carry and do you have a lift?

My jeep has a 2.5" lift and I got a 20ton bottle jack and a couple 2x10's I use. My Sequoia has a 3" lift and am buying another bottle jack I do believe but figured I would ask, always learning from your guys experiences.....

Jim
For simple wheel change I clearly prefer a good quality hydraulic bottle jack. This is me the safest, easy and quick to use, manageable from the pack size. My Landy is about 2.5" (maybe little more) higher than standard. On longer trips, I have a hi-lift with me, less as a jack, more as a tool in a possible recovery. Another tip from practice: Often ridiculed, but sometimes in special situations a scissor jack is really helpful. Namely, whenever there is hardly any space under the axle, e.g. torn wheel studs or the like.

Bjoern

Reactions: Jim SoG and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have a 20 ton hydraulic and a screw jack in each one of my rigs that I use for 98% of the time.

They each have a Hi-Lift for that 2% when it's the only thing that will get the job done.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAIONE

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
I prefer using a Safe Jack. The kit comes with a bunch of adpaters and things to raise it's height and fit on frame rails or other things. I kinda wish it was a double piston so it would go even higher, but it works well enough for my LR4.

View attachment 217898
Same here. The actual jack is my least favorite part of the wheole systam. I have asked them to make an adapter for the stock Toyoyta jack- they won't. I have a second Toyota Jack and am actually thinking about modifying the end of one of my jacks to work with all the parts. Otherwise I have my eye on this : https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641737_200641737?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Jacks > Bottle Jacks&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=46197&cmpid=53403372&agid=3200075881&tgtid=pla-4577473069386636&prdid=46197&msclkid=9836b236ac2d121d288dd380b8d78cf1&gclid=9836b236ac2d121d288dd380b8d78cf1&gclsrc=3p.ds

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Add one more vote for the bottle jack.

I carry a small one (3 ton?--the label is shot--it has a few miles on it) in my XJ. I have a big one for my dually.

And I have a few more that float around in my shop serving to augment my floor jacks. Bottle jacks are awesome for their all around utility.

I have wound up using the bottle jack to in my XJ change tires on other folks' rigs because they couldn't access what they had, or it wasn't going to be the right thing for the situation.

My only problem with my bottle jacks is that I never seem to be able to find the handle when I need it. I end up using a screwdriver to operate the pump and a pair of pliers to let things back down. I need to come up with some way to keep the handle attached to the jack, and yet still have the packing flexibility to keep the thing where it is accessible. Suggestions are welcome.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Add one more vote for the bottle jack.

I carry a small one (3 ton?--the label is shot--it has a few miles on it) in my XJ. I have a big one for my dually.

And I have a few more that float around in my shop serving to augment my floor jacks. Bottle jacks are awesome for their all around utility.

I have wound up using the bottle jack to in my XJ change tires on other folks' rigs because they couldn't access what they had, or it wasn't going to be the right thing for the situation.

My only problem with my bottle jacks is that I never seem to be able to find the handle when I need it. I end up using a screwdriver to operate the pump and a pair of pliers to let things back down. I need to come up with some way to keep the handle attached to the jack, and yet still have the packing flexibility to keep the thing where it is accessible. Suggestions are welcome.
For a handle… I use my 1/2” drive breaker bar, a pair of needle nose pliers works to operate the release valve.

Reactions: KAIONE

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I am curious as well. Does anyone out there have the ARB Hydraulic Jack? Pricey but pretty compact.
Yes I do carry an ARB , I also carry a safe jack (bottle) Safejacks.com the hi-lifts are not supposed to be used for changing tires. I mostly wheel alone so I have an abundance of recovery products. Including a Deadman anchor, deadmanoffroad.com a 10,000 Warn Xeon synthetic winch and a Borah recovery kit from Factor55.com and a few other odds and ends. Overkill but ,,,,,,,

ButcherShop

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Eastvale, California, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

I am curious as well. Does anyone out there have the ARB Hydraulic Jack? Pricey but pretty compact.
Yes I do carry an ARB , I also carry a safe jack (bottle) Safejacks.com the hi-lifts are not supposed to be used for changing tires. I mostly wheel alone so I have an abundance of recovery products. Including a Deadman anchor, deadmanoffroad.com a 10,000 Warn Xeon synthetic winch and a Borah recovery kit from Factor55.com and a few other odds and ends. Overkill but ,,,,,,,
Thanks for the great info! So useful. I mostly wheel by myself and need to build a better recovery kit.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I carry a 12 ton bottle jack with air assist. I just slide it under, connect it to my onboard CO2, press the button and its up. I then use the CO2 to run my impact. You would be surprised how handy an impact and air ratchet can be on the trail.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Wobbly sketcheroo scissor jack my car came with!

j/k, I chucked that pile of crap. I use a 12 ton multi directional bottle jack, similar to the one Mike W pictured.

Reactions: danbrown
D

danbrown

I use the stock jack that came with my Gladiator with the base block. The base gives it more stability and lifts it enough to work with 37s.

Attachments

Reactions: rtexpeditions

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

6 Ton SafeJack kit and a few pieces of plywood cut to fit the shape of the storage bag bottom.

1639503831709.png

Used to carry a high lift for my old full size rigs (back when bumpers were made of metal).
When I got the WJ with all plastic cladding and bumpers, the high lift was useless for anything but lifting by the towing receiver.

Quickly I came to prefer the bottle jack. The accessories make all the difference.
Essential is the axle tube saddle and any suitable base for when you are on gravel or loose dirt.
If someone is resourceful, they can piece together a comparable kit far cheaper than the Safejack kits.
And as a bonus, it is a lot lighter to lug around than a high lift.

That is what works for me anyhow.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
The one it came with.
^^ This all the time. When going to questionable locations, a 6 ton bottle jack as well. 3 ton floor jack stays in the garage for regular use.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
For me it all depends on the situation. 90% of the time when I need a jack I have the luxury of planning, as such its the old school hydraulic floor jack and jack stands. For things where I cannot plan things out (read Im not at my shop) and I need to pull a wheel I simply use the factory jack. In the case of needing to self recover by stacking things under wheels or slipping traction boards into place, I use a hi-lift with the wheel lifting attachment (since the Escape doesnt really have good lift points for the hi lift).
As for what is always in the Escape, the factory jack and a 48" hi lift.

GhostCat

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Shapera
Member #

This is the only jack I ever carry. Came with the Jeep.
This is what I'm working with as well though lookin at bottle jack upgrade in coming week or two.

Newbie question: A big ol' 20 ton seems like overkill. It is the dimensions of the respective rigs (e.g., lift heights), better-safe-than-sorry philosophy or am I missing something?

For my stock '21 JT Rubicon I need to clear ~15" (so maybe an 8 or 10 ton) but otherwise, I'm not actually intending to lift that kind of weigh. Anything else I should be considering as I explore bottle jacks?

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
This is what I'm working with as well though lookin at bottle jack upgrade in coming week or two.

Newbie question: A big ol' 20 ton seems like overkill. It is the dimensions of the respective rigs (e.g., lift heights), better-safe-than-sorry philosophy or am I missing something?

For my stock '21 JT Rubicon I need to clear ~15" (so maybe an 8 or 10 ton) but otherwise, I'm not actually intending to lift that kind of weigh. Anything else I should be considering as I explore bottle jacks?
Safejacks.com