Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
That's a nice, simple but usable setup. I like it. I've been thinking about sleeping platform options for my WJ, and I think I tend to over-think it a LOT and let my mind run wild with crazy setups.

-TJ
They are very simple yet strong these shelves are rated at hundreds of pounds most hardware stores have them. We have a kitchen supply store in Reno that carries them in a wide range of sizes and you can buy them one shelf at a time. The only cutting is the poles and I drill holes through the mounting points and put a screw in it to keep the poles from falling out when lifted. In the Tahoe I have seat mounts on the floor and use two ratchet straps to hold it in place. You could also use turn buckles to hold it down.

I use the carpet to close up the slots to keep small things from falling through and to make it more comfortable moving around on it. I just zip tie the carpet in place.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

There is not such a thing like prioryty list if we talk off-roading. Always depends how You drive, what is Your vehicle, how long trips, where You going, are You travelling alone or... etc
first thing first ;-)
Go out as often as You can always thinking when enough is enough. Go home and make this particular modification what puts the limit higher. And again, and again.
I guess You wil have plenty of fun searching Your abilities and ugrading the car...

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I agree with just run what you have for a year and take notes then if you need any mods you will be better educated to do them...

I dropped $20,000 into mine and if I had it to do again there are things I would have done differently now. I certainly could have saved 5k. With my Tahoe a little lift is a good thing for clearance issues but I am glad I limited it to just 4 inches.

I just recently was at King suspension to order custom shocks for mine and in our conversation he pointed out all the off road race truck have very little lift it is more about travel and good suspension...

Ok doing a bed platform I love mine and it gives me a place to sleep without setting anything up... I don't take passengers in mine so, I removed all the back seats to give me a ton of storage space and all of it is very low to the floor. The fastest, lightest and easiest way to install a platform is by using wire frame shelving. Just pick the size that fits in your rig and cut the legs to the height you need some legs will be longer or shorter due to the floor of your vehicle no big deal just cut to fit. With planning you could complete a platform build in an hour...

If you want more details or ideas on setting up the inside for camping check out my build thread in my signature.

A 5 inch thick full size foam mattress fits over the platform and now I also have a 37 qt refrigerator under there too.

View attachment 136587

It is easy to make them lift up for better access too. Mine lift up in the back and in the front only the center section remains in place.

View attachment 136588
I love this idea ... talk about an effecient use of space. I will stand and stare at the back end of my truck for what seems like forever, whenever I'm packing it for a trip, always trying to figure out a better way to store everything I'm carrying. I really like the undershelf storage.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I love this idea ... talk about an effecient use of space. I will stand and stare at the back end of my truck for what seems like forever, whenever I'm packing it for a trip, always trying to figure out a better way to store everything I'm carrying. I really like the undershelf storage.
You can put all sorts of things under there. Also Molle gear can be installed on these racks too they have the same spacing.

rifle rack.jpg

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Those are MTM Ammo crates they are Exterior 19” x 15.75” x 8”(H) The case on the right is a tool box the one on the left has food water for a week and a hiking stove and water purification pump. In between is recovery gear, sleeping pad and snow chains. The PVC tube is used for holding large shooting targets. I carry sleeping bags for two also, their size is dependent on the season.