Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I’ve been watching a lot of Overlanding videos and it seems like when they are building their Overlanding vehicles they don’t seem to be installing any lift kits. Is it normal to have a lift on a Overlanding vehicle? People on the channels are using Toyota Land Cruisers.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
For most stock 4x4 rigs a "lift" is not gunna help. It does 2 things, 1. It raises your center of gravity. 2. it allows for larger tires.
Its the larger tires that really do the work. Tires are what provide true clearance. As an example watch some ot the ExpeditionOverland trips in alaska and overseas. They are not running big lifts. They are choosing smart lines.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Since watching these videos I’ve been wondering if I should lower my Cherokee. It came with a 4.5 lift. I had a 04 Liberty that was stock. Went a lot of places but there were a lot of places it couldn’t go to. Getting into Photography now that I’m not working due to a disability. Thought the Jeep with a lift I could go places. Not sure if I made the right move now.

Reactions: SinisterJK

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I’d guess there are far better things to spend your money on than undoing a very average lift for your particular vehicle. While the lift may not be required for what your current uses are I doubt that it will hinder you from doing those things. It may also give you the ability to go just a bit further one day than you currently would like to.

Resist the urge to build according to what others are building. Go, use, take notes and modify as your particular uses deem fit. That’s my .02 anyways for whatever it’s worth to ya.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I have no plans to go to crazy. Only things I was going to add is a winch. Jeep came with a winch bumper. Rear tire carrier and a roof top tent. Not going to crazy.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Lifts generally give you the ability to run bigger tires, as mentioned already. They also can (and do)mess with your suspension geometry. Up/down travel, center of gravity, wear and tear, etc.

That being said, my lift will have cost me a grand total of 100 bucks, and several hours of work. Mild 2" lift plus 265/75r16s will put me just shy of 12" of clearance. You generally don't need tons of clearance for overlanding, just pick the right line.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A winch is nice, knowing how to properly use it is even better.

Tire, winch, and lockers are my top three suggestions for upgrades in that order. I seldom recommend lifts. I have had three lifted rigs, and only one of those three handled as well as stock.
larger tires is going to lift your differential and transfer case more than a lift kit. The lift kit does nothing for raising the differentials at all without adding larger tires.
The winch second for recovering others along with the ability to recover your self. I personally have used my winch far more to recover other people than recovering my self or clearing a trail.
Lockers last, because with lockers you will make you feel over qualified to go places you probably shouldn’t and will need the larger tires and winch you already installed.

now, since your rig already has a lift, larger tires, and a rtt, adding a winch for a piece of mind might be an option. Ask yourself how many times you have actually gotten stuck so bad a winch was required vs a tug from someone else.

I have been doing this quite some time, and have gotten stuck more times than I care to admit. I have only been stuck twice where a winch was the only option. Both times having my own winch wouldn’t have made the situation any less sticky. Both times the best method of pulling me out was by pulling backwards. Both times I was high centered by my front and rear bumpers blocking the path for a frontal recovery, think creek crossing, and being pulled frontwards would have destroyed the creek bed.
I mention this because even though I have a winch now, only once it was used for self recovery, and even then there were other things I could have done to get unstuck. The rest of the time I have used it to safely recover other rigs and to clear trails.
The one piece of recovery gear I always felt missing in my kit was the farm jack. I don’t want to get into that debate, but it was a tool in my grandparents kit, my dads kit, and my first kit that got stolen. It is a tool that my brother and I learned how to safely use as young kids, learned to respect, and most important how useful it is as a tool other than just a jack... although the jack part of it is nice too.
@Dave K and @PNW EXPLR great advice

Reactions: Big G and RoarinRow

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Those LC's/ 4runners/etc allow for a larger tire (about a 32" from what I can find) with a stock suspension than your XJ would.
The XJ can fit a 245/75/16 (metric 30" tire, a more true 30" tire than an SAE 30") with slight rubbing on the fenders, and then you load it down with gear and the clearance issues won't get any better.
If you are ok with running smaller tires or cutting fenders then it's your call on lowering the XJ.
To me the stock XJ was too low and had limited suspension travel, not to mention little tires.
I run 4.5" lift and 265/75/16s (32x10.5) as I wanted to keep the stock flares, I still rub a bit when turning and cycling the suspension but now I sit up as high as a stock JK Wrangler. :unamused:
You add heavier bumpers, a winch, gear and the height will come down a bit as well.
I don't think the lift is either needed or excessive, it's up to you and how you want your vehicle to be equipped.
I like the way it looks and performs and since I am still using stock wheels and AT tires it has a very stock look to it.
camp2019d.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
You can go a lot of places, see a lot of things, have a lot of fun, and do it all without a lift.
Yup! This right here. I did exactly this in my 04 Colorado, which is stock. It already has a rear locker (g80), and I added skid plates. That's it. Went all over the place. Got stuck once (high centered). No lift, 31's, skids, rear locker. You don't really need much else.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Since watching these videos I’ve been wondering if I should lower my Cherokee. It came with a 4.5 lift. I had a 04 Liberty that was stock. Went a lot of places but there were a lot of places it couldn’t go to. Getting into Photography now that I’m not working due to a disability. Thought the Jeep with a lift I could go places. Not sure if I made the right move now.
I would totally keep the lift, Regardless of anything a lifted vehicle is a good thing when your going off road weather your Gona overland, camp or go on trails. It's already an added bonus, keep it and upgrade accordingly not just what everyone did.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've took previously installed lifts off of one of my previous XJs and took it back down to UpCountry height. It's what I run on my current XJ as well. And 235 sized tires. It's taken me everywhere I want to go, places where Wranglers with tires 5 inches larger than mine were worried about going. There's something to be said for a lower center of gravity, good highway manners and low cost tires :D all in a package that can still get you to the vast majority of places people take vehicles for a lot less money and headache.

The Expedition Overland guys mentioned earlier run a LOT of equipment. Their vehicles are quite heavy, not to mention they're towing heavy trailers over a lot of what they do.

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
[QUOTEI’ve been watching a lot of Overlanding videos and it seems like when they are building their Overlanding vehicles they don’t seem to be installing any lift kits. Is it normal to have a lift on a Overlanding vehicle? People on the channels are using Toyota Land Cruisers. ][/QUOTE]

You need the lift keep it. Forget the u tube people, your travelling overland ,lift, tires, winch, and spare parts, extra gas, all needed. Your using your truck to go from one place to another and you don't know what you will encounter. All of us who has wheeled southern Ontario and just Ontario in general understand this.
Don't substitute U tube for common sense. If you want to travel overland, travel over the land.

oh and btw, Hi there nice thread as many of us are inspired by those wonderful videos.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Mil T

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

payson Az.
First Name
Mil
Last Name
thornton
A lift is not always just for clearance. A full suspension modification also allows Wheel travel, articulation, smoother ride and more. I think your 4.5 inch lift should be fine as long as all the other components are correct for the lift. Like Trailing arms, Shocks, Sway bar disconnects, etc. I used to wheel Cherokees for a long time. They are a great vehicle for overlanding and even hardcore wheeling. I would take inventory on what make a lift you XJ has and go from there. Log into a Cherokee site like NAXJA. there is a wealth of knowledge out there for the XJ.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

For me I have a RC 3.5 knuckle lift and did fine with 33's but recently I just swapped out to 35's because I got a little high centered before I want to go with a 6in lift so I less likely to high center so easily. Full size trucks come at a price but im willing to pay that and not have to strugle of fitting it all in a small truck

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I would use it for a season before you do anything. I think you will find 4.5" lift with 31s-33's is the sweet spot for over landing a xj. Like someone else posted. Take inventory of how it was done. 4.5" lift is pushing the geometry of stock components so you want to be sure it is upgraded properly. Things like steering, sye,gearing, front frame rail stiffeners or steering brace to prevent fatigue on the steering section of the frame. You will figure it all out in time.

The thing I like about my Xj is it is very affordable entry level 4x4 that you can personalize to your liking. Mine came with a 4.5" lift and 33s'. A very budget lift at that.It still had 307 gearing and 33"s made it inadequate for anything other than a dirt road. But I took it up and enjoyed myself despite that. I immediately traded my 33s for 31"s and ran it that way for quite a while.

I hope you enjoy your rig as much as I do mine. I have it set up so my wife and I can sleep in it and don't have to have a tent. Just a roof top bag for our clothing, sleeping bags the light stuff.

Hey post some pictures! Have fun!

Last edited:

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

As others have said lift to get bigger tires. Occasionally it helps to get through things like water without it getting into the vehicle. Remember typically the lowest part hanging is the differential. Lifts raise the body. Tires raise the differential. On the subject of lockers I partially disagree with previous comments. I have run some really gnarly terrain without lockers. They are something you turn on get over an obstacle and turn off. Learning how to drive, chose the right line are more important IMO. Lockers are very expensive and don't let not having them stop you from getting out there. Certainly there are situation that lockers are necessary but normally you can go a different route and avoid something you are not equipped or trained to do. Here is a video of me without lockers. I have a 3" lift, 32 5/8" AT tires tires. This week I added a True track LSD for giving me better traction where I'm trying to do some muddy trails without going sideways when only one wheel spun.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

As others have said lift to get bigger tires. Occasionally it helps to get through things like water without it getting into the vehicle. Remember typically the lowest part hanging is the differential. Lifts raise the body. Tires raise the differential. On the subject of lockers I partially disagree with previous comments. I have run some really gnarly terrain without lockers. They are something you turn on get over an obstacle and turn off. Learning how to drive, chose the right line are more important IMO. Lockers are very expensive and don't let not having them stop you from getting out there. Certainly there are situation that lockers are necessary but normally you can go a different route and avoid something you are not equipped or trained to do. Here is a video of me without lockers. I have a 3" lift, 32 5/8" AT tires tires. This week I added a True track LSD for giving me better traction where I'm trying to do some muddy trails without going sideways when only one wheel spun.
Nice driving