First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey everyone!

I can't tell you how many times on various social media channels I hear how awesome our forum community is.

Just one example, "Thank you for the welcome. I have been hanging around xxxxx xxxxx for a while but they seem to have gotten pretty snobby and its hard to get information. So far I love your site, everyone is so friendly and willing to help..."

People reach out to me on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and our websites thankful and surprised about how open and helpful the Overland Bound community is.

In a word, thanks. That's what it's all about! You guys are awesome!

Michael & @Corrie

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I've noticed what seems to be a upsurge of the don't buy build snobbery. Such as,You bought that bumper for how much? I can make just as good of one for 20 bucks worth of steel. So tired of haters on both sides of dollar.
That's why I dig this site so much, no pissing matches

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I've noticed what seems to be a upsurge of the don't buy build snobbery. Such as,You bought that bumper for how much? I can make just as good of one for 20 bucks worth of steel. So tired of haters on both sides of dollar.
That's why I dig this site so much, no pissing matches
LOL...I build out of necessity...I squander a third of my money on food, electricity, housing, etc...A third on toys, kayaks, backpacking gear, mountain biking, guns, photography, etc...and A third on my rig, dogs, wife, project materials for whatever the wife wants, and twice a year...a steak dinner out for me...LOL!!!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Everyone is different, with different needs. @Robert OB 33/48 fabricates just about everything. @stringtwelve can weld a mighty fine bead (with luck), but also buys (*cough cough* turtleback wtf?).

I don't fabricate, but I can ask for their advice any time, and that's the point! Share knowledge and encourage others! Get them outside!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

This is by far the best and most trouble free community I've been on. I've been on Forums since the BBS days and this place is very unique.

Thanks for being awesome.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
As I've said from the first day I was here, I'm happy to have found a community who puts the community and reason why we're here (overlanding) first. Our rigs are secondary. I'm bored with Jeep forums. Everything is about Jeeps. And yes, I'm a jeep fan. But, I really appreciate, and sometimes envy, all the rigs on this forum. I've learned a lot about overlanding from people who drive Subarus, Toyotas, etc. The snobbery has gotten quite bad on some of the Jeep forums. If your not driving a 2016 Rubicon with D60's on 6" of lift, your rig is a piece of crap. Rock Crawlers don't seem to understand the overland community.
As I've said in another thread, I don't mind a little "ribbing", joking and competition. It's all in fun. And of course, constructive criticism is important when helping someone out. But I never bash someones chosen platform. What works for me, may not work for them. So thank you. And thanks for the effort that goes into keeping this forum a positive and encouraging place for people to learn, explore and share.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think it is a unique example of why diversity is a good and powerful thing. Be happy for whatever method/gear/style people use to get out into the world. We have the mindset of someone in the middle of nowhere with friends on an adventure, rather than a troll in a basement on a computer.

The motto is OUTFIT and EXPLORE, so we obviously love to talk gear, but we should certainly watch out for snobbery of any form. People seem to just be excited for each other here without the need to justify their own purchases or make themselves feel they know everything.

I buy a lot of gear and admittedly probably come off as a pretty high budget luxolander (i made that up)... but I absolutely love to see builds of all budget levels and how people fabricate unique things. I fabricate on a smaller scale. Wiring things up, brackets, how I installed a rack or how I secure my gear and organize it... all the thousands of small jobs and choices that make a rig unique. That is fun stuff.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I'm a member of 2 other forums currently, but neither are as inviting or active as this one. This forum has the feel of a bunch of people hanging out and shooting the breeze and I like it. Everyone is welcome not matter what you drive or how you drive it. This is the finest online community I've seen. Proud to be a part of it.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Maybe it should be, Outfit, Explore & Share?
Love the site, forums have never been my thing but this one is different.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Best place on the innerwebs no doubt.

I have all the tools a man can ask for.... 2 lathes a milling machine, a big arse drill press hydraulic press a toolbox the size of a mini cooper, wire feed welder, arc welder plasma cutter, big arse cutting torch, truck lift, i can weld great, was a machinist for a long time and i can crank out parts all day long..... but i dont have all day long lol

So sometimes its just best to buy the damn thing [emoji28] because as long as they are paying overtime im not gonna be home to work on it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've learned more about myself by surrounding myself with other people from other paradigms. This sight is no exception to that. It's nice to have a positive place to connect with other people who share my love of the outdoors, but who practice that love in many different ways.

Reactions: IronPercheron

Advocate II

Been on a lot of various forums that started with good intentions and got over run by the hardcore crowds. Thats what I love about this place, its just laid back. Sharing info, asking questions, giving compliments it is exactly what it should be.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

"To me" Overlanding is about meeting new people. But more importantly its about trying to understand those new people. That can't be done if we go in with a closed mind. I think that has a lot to do with why things are different here, people are more open to learn about other people, what they do and how they do it.

The daughter and I had a conversation the other day about Overlanding. She wants to go out on her own but is nervous about what she can do with her Liberty. In my response I mentioned Steve and his little Subaru running Ocala National Forest. It wasn't "if he can do it you can", it was "look what he is doing". My message to her was she has to get out and learn what her capabilities are just as Steve has done.

By sharing we use our collective knowledge to exceed our own limitations.

Reactions: stoney126 and Steve

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I talked to 2 local 4funner owners today. One I am pretty sure will be signing up on here shortly. I agree with the no BS, chill atmosphere here.

Reactions: stoney126