Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

So, I rarely get "vacation" where I can get a week's worth of days with no responsibility to answer calls/emails. Further, sometimes I just like to slip off into the woods, but still be available. I was curious what methods some of my fellow OBers use when on the trial to accomplish those pesky work tasks that won't allow peace. Are there any jetpack types of devices that connect via satellite while you are in the middle of nowhere?

FYI: My truck has wireless internet via AT&T, and it typically gets better reception than my cell phone (phone has no service, truck has 2 bars).

Reactions: Jake T

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So, I rarely get "vacation" where I can get a week's worth of days with no responsibility to answer calls/emails. Further, sometimes I just like to slip off into the woods, but still be available. I was curious what methods some of my fellow OBers use when on the trial to accomplish those pesky work tasks that won't allow peace. Are there any jetpack types of devices that connect via satellite while you are in the middle of nowhere?

FYI: My truck has wireless internet via AT&T, and it typically gets better reception than my cell phone (phone has no service, truck has 2 bars).

I use a weBoost Cell Phone Signal Booster to help me stay in touch with family, clients, and daily weather reports. It does not create a wifi signal as some think, but can significantly boost your phone's cell signal by catching it through an outside mounted antenna, sending it through cable to an interior booster, then throughout the vehicle interior via inside antenna.

I've had mine since summer 2018 and have used it many hundreds of nights all over the country. Well worth it, in my opinion. I've seen my signal double and triple with weBoost on, and dwindle back down with it off. Works while driving, too, for hands off calls, nav, etc.

I've found it helpful to keep the doors closed, usually, as it will get a feedback loop of sorts if the outside and inside antennas don't have anything separating them. I also keep my interior antenna loose, not mounted, so I can move it accordingly depending on if I'm working from the driver's seat or somewhere in the back of the van. It is usually tucked into the back edge of the headliner over the front seats.

Might be interesting to see if you can hook up your built-in AT&T internet signal to the weBoost so it then broadcasts a stronger wifi within the vehicle.

It's the antenna on the back of my van in the image below:

pins_1154-900.jpg

This was on the Gulf of Mexico, where it boosted cell signals so much (it works with all carriers) that other campers were taking turns sitting in my driver's seat to get online for a bit.

Let me know if you have any questions about it or want images of how/where I installed it in my van.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Reactions: Jrodrigues1278

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

I use a weBoost Cell Phone Signal Booster to help me stay in touch with family, clients, and daily weather reports. It does not create a wifi signal as some think, but can significantly boost your phone's cell signal by catching it through an outside mounted antenna, sending it through cable to an interior booster, then throughout the vehicle interior via inside antenna.

I've had mine since summer 2018 and have used it many hundreds of nights all over the country. Well worth it, in my opinion. I've seen my signal double and triple with weBoost on, and dwindle back down with it off. Works while driving, too, for hands off calls, nav, etc.

I've found it helpful to keep the doors closed, usually, as it will get a feedback loop of sorts if the outside and inside antennas don't have anything separating them. I also keep my interior antenna loose, not mounted, so I can move it accordingly depending on if I'm working from the driver's seat or somewhere in the back of the van. It is usually tucked into the back edge of the headliner over the front seats.

Might be interesting to see if you can hook up your built-in AT&T internet signal to the weBoost so it then broadcasts a stronger wifi within the vehicle.

It's the antenna on the back of my van in the image below:

View attachment 147040

This was on the Gulf of Mexico, where it boosted cell signals so much (it works with all carriers) that other campers were taking turns sitting in my driver's seat to get online for a bit.

Let me know if you have any questions about it or want images of how/where I installed it in my van.

I will definitely check this out, and if it is able to boost the truck's built in signal, that would be a huge plus.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I will definitely check this out, and if it is able to boost the truck's built in signal, that would be a huge plus.

Yeah man, I'm interested too, in how it might work with a built-in internet source. There might be info out there somewhere, maybe even on the weBoost site or if you ask their support, about how to hook up weBoost to an existing built-in.

Good luck. Hope you post back here what you end up doing and how it works.

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

Yeah man, I'm interested too, in how it might work with a built-in internet source. There might be info out there somewhere, maybe even on the weBoost site or if you ask their support, about how to hook up weBoost to an existing built-in.

Good luck. Hope you post back here what you end up doing and how it works.

Just some initial research and questioning, and I found this. It does work with the built in wi-fi unit. and is expandable for future 5G networks. Now the pain of sending $500 out the door... It won't be today.

weBoost Drive Reach Cell Phone Signal Booster | 470154

Reactions: Road

GR8WHTE

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Verrastro
Member #

I use a Verizon jet pack and mounted an omni directional antenna on the roof(drilled hole in the roof to mount) The reason for the antenna mounted on the roof is to help promote signal better because the jet pack signal weakens being in the cab. I have mobile wifi all the time have not had issues. The antenna cable to jet pack adapter was purchased on the Verizon website.

antenna adapter

Universal Antenna Adapter Cable | Verizon Wireless

for the antenna i contacted the antenna farm and sent them the jet pack specs and they sent me one that is compatible as far as frequency etc.

I believe this is the one i got, but very low profile which is nice

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-tra6927m3nb-6167

let me know if you have anymore questions.

GhostfaceRebel35

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Olivet, KY, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
S.
Member #

I use a Verizon jet pack and mounted an omni directional antenna on the roof(drilled hole in the roof to mount) The reason for the antenna mounted on the roof is to help promote signal better because the jet pack signal weakens being in the cab. I have mobile wifi all the time have not had issues. The antenna cable to jet pack adapter was purchased on the Verizon website.

antenna adapter

Universal Antenna Adapter Cable | Verizon Wireless

for the antenna i contacted the antenna farm and sent them the jet pack specs and they sent me one that is compatible as far as frequency etc.

I believe this is the one i got, but very low profile which is nice

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-tra6927m3nb-6167

let me know if you have anymore questions.
I did see that Verizon has a “global” jet pack that gets signal from satellite to my understanding. I’ll have to do a bit more reading up on it, but it’s service seems reasonably priced. Be nice if XM would get on the comms path and adapt a in car option. You can listen to Howard Stern in BFE, why not throw a signal along with it?