WK2 Grand Cherokee leveling kit install (Rocky Road Outfitters)

• HTML tutorial

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Thanks for checking in! I’ve been busy with Chief undercarriage stuff and getting new wheels, so I put it on the back burner. I blew a disc in my neck and just got it replaced last Wednesday, so I called a shop to see if they could do it; I won’t have the strength or mobility for a couple months. $783 quote. Woof.
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll be back on your feet soon! What wheels did you get? I'm thinking about just plastidipping my stockers gloss black since I've yet to find wheels that I actually like.

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

04DA8121-B2B0-436B-8D28-F0C5856E767B.jpeg
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll be back on your feet soon! What wheels did you get? I'm thinking about just plastidipping my stockers gloss black since I've yet to find wheels that I actually like.
Thanks brotha. My bad, new tires, should’ve specified. I stayed with factory limited 18”, but I put on the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s at 275/65/18 and they fit pretty well. Trimmed and folded the pinch welds, but I don’t think it was necessary.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

View attachment 57769
Thanks brotha. My bad, new tires, should’ve specified. I stayed with factory limited 18”, but I put on the Nitto Terra Grappler G2s at 275/65/18 and they fit pretty well. Trimmed and folded the pinch welds, but I don’t think it was necessary.
Meaty! Thats the size that I'm looking to move to, but in a KO2. Did you take a big hit in gas mileage?

Reactions: Leclerc.27

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Meaty! Thats the size that I'm looking to move to, but in a KO2. Did you take a big hit in gas mileage?
Those are nice as well. Not really, couple tenths, but I’ve also been primarily city driving as opposed to my city/highway combo, so that’s definitely a factor into my average mpg as well. Not a big hit at all, in summation.

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

E60C46C8-756D-4E3D-97D9-1D8E264E3101.jpeg
I might add, if you’re looking to head to that size, a fair amount of people pull the front fascia. I don’t know if it is necessary, but throw the Chief lower front guard in there and it looks cool (biased opinion). I have both that guard and the sump protector in. Good protection, easy install if you’re going that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCannUSA

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

View attachment 57889
I might add, if you’re looking to head to that size, a fair amount of people pull the front fascia. I don’t know if it is necessary, but throw the Chief lower front guard in there and it looks cool (biased opinion). I have both that guard and the sump protector in. Good protection, easy install if you’re going that route.
Nice, looking good!

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I'm actually looking to get either an ARB front bumper with a winch, or a 4.0 XJ since its about the same price lol. I've learned my lesson using my daily driver as a toy not too long ago. I had a 500HP Mustang that I used to hot rod until she got sideways on the 2-3 shift. She did not drive away from that one haha

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Hey - on further review and testing, I am down almost a full MPG. That may be partially attributable to my tires being in the car for a bit, but it's not like I'm lugging a trailer. The ride is smooth, I don't recognize a change in noise and there is no wobble. My friend has the KO2's on his Tacoma and reported that he lost around 1mpg as well.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Hey - on further review and testing, I am down almost a full MPG. That may be partially attributable to my tires being in the car for a bit, but it's not like I'm lugging a trailer. The ride is smooth, I don't recognize a change in noise and there is no wobble. My friend has the KO2's on his Tacoma and reported that he lost around 1mpg as well.
Is that with the speedometer corrected? If not, you may not have even lost a full MPG since the vehicle is traveling farther than it thinks it is per tire rev.

Also, I just bit the bullet and ordered the Protune kit since I had a large amount of Amazon points. I'll be the guinea pig on this company since there aren't really any reviews of their stuff. I'll post up a separate thread when it comes time to do the install.

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Is that with the speedometer corrected? If not, you may not have even lost a full MPG since the vehicle is traveling farther than it thinks it is per tire rev.

Also, I just bit the bullet and ordered the Protune kit since I had a large amount of Amazon points. I'll be the guinea pig on this company since there aren't really any reviews of their stuff. I'll post up a separate thread when it comes time to do the install.
Excellent point - I'm not sure how to go about the correction; I'm pretty sure you can do it through a Diablo tune, or maybe the dealer would? Though, I've heard some say they won't and some say that that's an expensive process, I guess I'll call into my dealer and ask. That Protune kit looks veryyy similar to the RRO one. Let me know how it goes, good luck! I am in the same boat with trying to fin a 1" spacer - there's an Amazon option, but there are no reviews, so I'm loathe to order it - bad thing to break. Guess it'll probably end up being BORA. Likewise, I will update.

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Here are the pictures with the lift in, at long last. Rides just like stock (feel), which is nice. Great ground clearance. IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0672.jpg

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Here are the pictures with the lift in, at long last. Rides just like stock (feel), which is nice. Great ground clearance. View attachment 58566 View attachment 58567
Man that looks great! Definitely seems like it would be much more off road worthy to me!

So fun story about the Protune kit: apparently the seller I bought it from didn't know that the kit was on back order. They canceled my order and sent back my money without saying a word to me, so I'm not too happy with their customer service already. They did send me the instructions in an email before that, though. It was verbatim the RRO instructions. It still had their logo printed on the top of the page! If they were that lazy to completely plagiarize their instructions, that leads me to question how lazy they were with the suspension parts. I decided to instead just get a 2" front lift from Rough Country and maybe get a rear lift later down the road.

As for the wheel spacers, I've got a set of 1" FAS Motorsports hubcentric spacers that I've had for about a month now and haven't had any issues. I think they were like $65 on Amazon, and well worth it. I've got a minor vibration in the front end at highway speeds, but nothing too concerning. It brought my stock tires to right at flush with the factory fender flares and really improved the stance of the car.

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Man that looks great! Definitely seems like it would be much more off road worthy to me!

So fun story about the Protune kit: apparently the seller I bought it from didn't know that the kit was on back order. They canceled my order and sent back my money without saying a word to me, so I'm not too happy with their customer service already. They did send me the instructions in an email before that, though. It was verbatim the RRO instructions. It still had their logo printed on the top of the page! If they were that lazy to completely plagiarize their instructions, that leads me to question how lazy they were with the suspension parts. I decided to instead just get a 2" front lift from Rough Country and maybe get a rear lift later down the road.

As for the wheel spacers, I've got a set of 1" FAS Motorsports hubcentric spacers that I've had for about a month now and haven't had any issues. I think they were like $65 on Amazon, and well worth it. I've got a minor vibration in the front end at highway speeds, but nothing too concerning. It brought my stock tires to right at flush with the factory fender flares and really improved the stance of the car.
That...sucks. RRO didn't tell me they were on backorder until I called a while after not receiving them. It's definitely a good kit, but it took a long time to get and the customer service was miserable. At least people seem to value their instructions! I just ordered those FAS 1'' spacers - they seem reasonable being hubcentric and the 10.9 grade bolts are really all you need. I'm going to hopefully be throwing them on tomorrow, but I've got a 3-4 hour drive the next day, so I'm not sure. Did you torque and re-torque them all after 100km or so? I'm getting the specs at 100ft/lb, so maybe if there's a little vibration check the torque. Or the alignment, if you haven't had it looked at in a while - the spacer would further that off-kilter geometry. Thanks for the good word on FAS!

Reactions: PicNick

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

That...sucks. RRO didn't tell me they were on backorder until I called a while after not receiving them. It's definitely a good kit, but it took a long time to get and the customer service was miserable. At least people seem to value their instructions! I just ordered those FAS 1'' spacers - they seem reasonable being hubcentric and the 10.9 grade bolts are really all you need. I'm going to hopefully be throwing them on tomorrow, but I've got a 3-4 hour drive the next day, so I'm not sure. Did you torque and re-torque them all after 100km or so? I'm getting the specs at 100ft/lb, so maybe if there's a little vibration check the torque. Or the alignment, if you haven't had it looked at in a while - the spacer would further that off-kilter geometry. Thanks for the good word on FAS!
Sure thing! I haven't had the chance to re-torque them (and I kind of feel bad about it lol). I've been in the middle of moving, so pulling the tires back off haven't really been in the forefront of my mind. Its most likely all that it really needs since I don't recall a vibration when I first put them on. I'm planning on doing that this weekend when I'm hopefully installing my lift, and then I'll get an alignment the following day.

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Sure thing! I haven't had the chance to re-torque them (and I kind of feel bad about it lol). I've been in the middle of moving, so pulling the tires back off haven't really been in the forefront of my mind. Its most likely all that it really needs since I don't recall a vibration when I first put them on. I'm planning on doing that this weekend when I'm hopefully installing my lift, and then I'll get an alignment the following day.
Sick! I'd be interested to hear - again, I was reading the appropriate torque spec is 100ft/lb, not 130ft/lb, but let me know what works. Good luck with the move!

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Sick! I'd be interested to hear - again, I was reading the appropriate torque spec is 100ft/lb, not 130ft/lb, but let me know what works. Good luck with the move!
Here are a couple of pictures of how it looks with the spacers. Everything else about the car is stock, but this should give you a good idea of how it will look.

20180613_164059.jpg 20180613_164105.jpg 20180613_164125.jpg 20180614_125242.jpg

Leclerc.27

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Shore, MA
Member #

Reactions: McCannUSA

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

So I just wrapped up installing my 2" front lift last night and now I've got a minor clunking noise going over small bumps that I've got to track down. Man, that driver side strut was a major PITA! But it was all worth it for the final results, especially with my 275/70r18 Cooper AT3 mounted up. I'll post some pictures up when I get the chance. I've got to get an alignment ASAP since the steering wheel is now all wonky (45 degrees off) and its throwing an ESC fault. At least I hope that's what is causing the ESC fault and not a damaged ABS sensor

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

So I just wrapped up installing my 2" front lift last night and now I've got a minor clunking noise going over small bumps that I've got to track down. Man, that driver side strut was a major PITA! But it was all worth it for the final results, especially with my 275/70r18 Cooper AT3 mounted up. I'll post some pictures up when I get the chance. I've got to get an alignment ASAP since the steering wheel is now all wonky (45 degrees off) and its throwing an ESC fault. At least I hope that's what is causing the ESC fault and not a damaged ABS sensor
Nice! Check the anti sway bar for the noise, I thought I had mine more than tight and it would do the same thing over bumps. I checked it and torqued it down again and sure enough it was a little loose.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Nice! Check the anti sway bar for the noise, I thought I had mine more than tight and it would do the same thing over bumps. I checked it and torqued it down again and sure enough it was a little loose.
That's good to know, I'll check those out. It seems to clunk mainly when one side is more compressed than the other, so sway bar would make sense to me.

Here's a picture of it post lift with 33s. It sure doesn't look much taller in the picture, but it's definitely noticeable in person
20180629_145457.jpeg

Sent from my toaster using OB Talk mobile app