Wisconsin members, check in...

• HTML tutorial
T

TD Bauer

Thought I checked in here, but I don't see a post anywhere from myself.

Live in northwest Wisconsin. I am new to overlanding. Most of my outdoor vacations are spent solo canoe tripping in wilderness settings far north in MN and Canada. I got into overlanding late 2019 as I happened upon Venture4wd on YouTube and liked the idea of remote travel that was a little more comfortable (I am getting old! Gonna be 47 this year).

Currently leasing a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, might get a Bronco next year when the lease is up. I don't do any technical stuff of course, but like driving down fire-lanes, two-tracks, forest roads...etc... nothing too crazy but enough to get me away from pavement and a little remote. It's a stock vehicle, but I did recently put some TOYO Open Country A/T III 225/65/17 on and wow what a huge difference.

N9BWA

OverlandConrad

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Madison, WI, USA
First Name
Conrad
Last Name
Keddie
Member #

Hey guys, my name is Conrad. I am moving up to Madison, WI end of this month from Marietta, GA. I have a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. So far all the mods I have done to it are an Icon Stage 4 2.5in Lift, CBI overland bar bed rack, SwitchPros 9100 and some Rigid Ditch Lights. I am pretty new to overlanding and have only done a few pretty moderate trails here in GA. Looking to do the Trans Wisconsin trail at some point before the snow comes, but also hoping to do some winter offroading. I am pretty big into road biking as well. So if anyone has any good routes for either road biking or offroading let me know!

Look forward to seeing you guys out there!

T

TD Bauer

Hey guys, my name is Conrad. I am moving up to Madison, WI end of this month from Marietta, GA. I have a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. So far all the mods I have done to it are an Icon Stage 4 2.5in Lift, CBI overland bar bed rack, SwitchPros 9100 and some Rigid Ditch Lights. I am pretty new to overlanding and have only done a few pretty moderate trails here in GA. Looking to do the Trans Wisconsin trail at some point before the snow comes, but also hoping to do some winter offroading. I am pretty big into road biking as well. So if anyone has any good routes for either road biking or offroading let me know!

Look forward to seeing you guys out there!
Welcome to Wisconsin! You should have fun in the snow with your rig... Good times.

Ravin88

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Marinette, WI, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Liesch
Member #

Hello my name is Tim. Just stumbled across overlanding and im super interested. I live in north east Wisconsin. Would love to go out but dont know where or how to find spots.
I drive an 03 tahoe and i plan to use it till its scrap.

Hope to see you out and about

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Another from Manitowoc here.
Just joined today. My wife has been loving what we call, "Truck Camping" that we did a few years ago to escape a snowstorm here. So last year I bought a dedicated Tacoma for outdoor pursuits, added a cap, sleeping platform, awning, etc.
We also use a weatherproof screen house with full sides to supplement.

Also love backpacking, wilderness paddling, canoe camping, general hiking and anything else outdoors. I've been an outdoors type person all my life.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

New guy in Germantown/Milwaukee. Currently driving a pampered '11 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. Having just discovered the overlanding phenomenon, the truck and I have been having discussions, and it tells me it needs more adventure in its life. Get a level on it to start with and see where life takes it. It's currently wearing 33s. I think it'd look mighty fine with some classy accessories and some 35s.

My other adventure vehicle is a '93 Maule MX-7-180A.

Do you keep your Maule at Hartford airport?

Firemedicc

Rank IV

Traveler III

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Sounds amazing. Anyone have any good ideas for off-grid or dispersed camping nearby or in Wisconsin?

Other than the usual haunts, being the National Forests, Campendium has a few places on their maps that point in the right direction.
Awesome, thanks so much.

I downloaded the OnX Off-road App for dispersed camping and boondocking locations. It's a good app I guess but it relies on people like us to update it so it's pretty light around here.

Just getting started so I guess I need to adopt the adventure lifestyle and just go out and find some spots.

Enthusiast I

Mount Pleasant, Racine County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9RCO
Hey guys, far SE Wisconsin here. I'm just a beginner at all this, but I'm looking forward to learning a lot and heading out as often as I can. I have a 2015 Subaru Forester. I've done a lift, wheels and tires, skid plates, few lights, new roof rack and bunch of other smaller stuff. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there!

IMG_20210411_231246_481.jpg

Hudson_Neon

Rank II

Contributor III

Jefferson, WI, USA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Pilarski
Member #

Jefferson (for now) here. I haven't found anything great down our way, but I've found some good stuff in the UP. I also plan to do some weekend trips up to Nicolet NF this summer and map out some good camping spots.

EZ Overlander

Rank III

Member III

Hudson, St. Croix County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9BWA
Hey Everybody,

Western Wisconsin just east of the Twin Cities. Only been doing overlanding for a couple years. Recently moved from a Renegade Trailhawk into a Gladiator... The Renegade was enough for me, but then the wife started tagging along, which has been a lot of fun, but of course we needed more vehicle space for some of her stuff.

We talk about overlanding fulltime... selling everything, renting out the condo, putting stuff in storage, and just hitting the road to see North America. It's not going to happen anytime soon... I'm to chicken to walk away from a regular paycheck!

Recently purchased a Jeep Gladiator Sport S, loaded, with the Max Tow.
We took it up to the MN Arrowhead region last week for a 4 nights to break it in. We both had a blast exploring up and down the Gunflint Trail.
20210522_145017.png

I was going to install some rock sliders to complete the look from the side, but my wife is short and requested step rails... so currently not seen in the above pic it now has side step bars. I didn't plan to do any rock crawling anyway or anything too technical where I need to worry much about crawl over angle, so am okay with the step assists for her. I installed a Gator hard tri-fold tonneau a couple days ago as well. Next will be tires and shocks. I don't plan to lift it, and tires will likely not be much larger than stock size.... thinking about 265/70/17 Grabber A/Tx, or TOYO A/T 3s (which I have had good experience with in the past).

Most of our excursions are long weekend trips. I mix in a few day trips by myself now and then. A couple times per year I would go off for a week and do my own thing, and now that the wife is tagging along It will be the both of us doing that.

Future trips are already planned for Wyoming and the Dakotas, a MI UP trip, and driving all the way around Lake Superior.

EZ Overlander

Rank III

Member III

Hudson, St. Croix County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9BWA
Sun Prairie, WI

Retired law enforcement (21 years) Own and operate a training company teaching important life skills.

2020 Jeep Gladiator, 3 inch lift, 37" tires and RSI Smartcap EVOa. Love camping, paddling, outdoor cooking and new adventures.
Sounds like a nice rig! And thank you for your service.

Ztachick

Rank I

Contributor III

Waukesha, WI, USA
First Name
Zack
Last Name
tachick
Hey Everyone. My name is Zack and I am out of Waukesha Co. New to this forum and overlanding. In the planning stages with the family to get up north and out west. Our plan is to get a opus or another brand camper to get our little ones out and about. Start off with scenic camp grounds then build our way up to go west out of state. Rigs for now is my 18' Tundra and the wifes 5gen Rav. Im more excited to start building the Rav since its more fun to drive. First real over landing trip I think is going to be T.W.A.T considering its close enough to home and can probably due with children. Looking forward to talking and meeting some of you in the future.

Reactions: CurtL

Firemedicc

Rank IV

Traveler III

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Hey Everyone. My name is Zack and I am out of Waukesha Co. New to this forum and overlanding. In the planning stages with the family to get up north and out west. Our plan is to get a opus or another brand camper to get our little ones out and about. Start off with scenic camp grounds then build our way up to go west out of state. Rigs for now is my 18' Tundra and the wifes 5gen Rav. Im more excited to start building the Rav since its more fun to drive. First real over landing trip I think is going to be T.W.A.T considering its close enough to home and can probably due with children. Looking forward to talking and meeting some of you in the future.
That sounds amazing!

We have a Black Series Classic Double. The Opus was a close second choice for us but the lack of a fully enclosed annex was the deal breaker although the Opus' fit and finish looks nicer.

We did our first year of camping at state parks to break in the kiddos.

Next year I anticipate at least one trip out west. I, like you, would like to do the Yooper trip next year.

Anyway, glad to see another Wisconsinite joining the ranks. It's tough here where the trails are nonexistent but the terrain is beautiful.