Investor

Advocate III

Wind Gap, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Kerler
Member #

So I have decided to put a water tank in the bed of my pickup so I have plenty of water for drinking, showering, dishes, etc. Living in the North East my biggest concern would be if the water in the tank were to freeze and possibly crack the tank and/or hoses. Any tips or ideas on what I can do to keep the water from turning to ice would be more than appreciated!

Attachments

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

On our next trip we’ll be using a 110 qt cooler for general purpose water. And we usually use a 10 gallon igloo for drinking water. If it’ll keep the water cool in southern US heat it should keep it from freezing up there. Drain pipes when you can and foam insulation where you can’t.

DougO

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Kokomo, IN, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Obenchain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9NWN
Just winterize it like a RV water system, get as much water out as possible and then put RV Antifreeze in it. Of course you will need to flush it good in the spring. Just DO NOT put cooling ( engine ) antifreeze in it. Can usally get it at Lowes, Farm Supply places or if all else fails RV dealer.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Drain it.

Whether I'm in Maine or anywhere else, I usually leave water in mine 'til I know overnight temps may get down to 29-30ºF, then park however I need to drain as much as possible. Had to drain it in TX one cold night just to be safe, and always drain it for the winter when in Maine.

I then pull pink RV anti-freeze (safe for drinking water systems) through the system by putting a hose down into a gallon of it and opening each outlet one by (I have a hot & cold at my outdoor sink and a mixed outlet at my outdoor shower), which automatically turns on my pump and pulls it through all the lines. I run each line until I see pink coming out.

In my experience, if you have a pump connected and water lines from the tank, they will freeze and create problems before the tank will. No need to fill or leave a quantity of antifreeze in the tank itself, in my experience.

Then come warmer weather, I flush the whole system in the same way; pull clean water through everything by opening each outlet and letting the pump pull it through 'til it runs clear.

Then I thoroughly disinfect the entire system with a bleach solution, filling the whole tank and driving it around a bit so it sloshes everywhere. I let that sit overnight, then flush with fresh. Sometimes I'll disinfect it mid-summer too, especially if it's been sitting a bit.

Been doing it like this for years with no problems from freezing.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: velo47

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I like Road's procedure. One thing I did was install a marine deck plate on top of the tank so I can reach in and get the rest of the water out (which I agree is probably not necessary). It also allows me to clean out the bottom of the tank, something that was impossible before.
1633401249260.png

Reactions: KonzaLander

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I like Road's procedure. One thing I did was install a marine deck plate on top of the tank so I can reach in and get the rest of the water out (which I agree is probably not necessary). It also allows me to clean out the bottom of the tank, something that was impossible before.
View attachment 211630
Have you found the marine hatch to do a good job of keeping dust out of the water and keeping the water in the tank? I'd like the ability to gain access to the inside of the tank and this looks like a genius solution!

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
The deck plate also makes it much easier to fill the tank from a 5 gallon water jug. Previously, I had to use a funnel to pour the water into a small spigot type opening. Now I can just pour it into the hatch.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
ditto on @Road response. Drain the tank. Run RV potable antifreeze through the pump and lines (if there are any) Rinse it the next spring and run a bleach solution through the lines. Done it this way for the summer cabin and my wife's Tab camper up here in Maine. No issues.

Reactions: Road