Winter Gear - Must Haves and Recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

This is all tremendous.

We have a Buddy Heater on its way to our door, and I'm going base layer hunting this afternoon! I think @Michael and I have a plan!

Everyone OK if I turn this into an article on the Overland Bound main site and credit you for the awesome insights? :tonguewink:

C
I don't see why not, spread the word during the winter season!

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

We just got back from our snow trip and one thing that we didnt plan for was our propane bottles freezing. This was beyond frustrating. Couldn't get the stoves or lanterns to properly work. we would warm them up but in minutes they would freeze up again. regulators frozen. So if youre using tanks keeps that in mind. maybe a bottle warmer or hand warmers would be a good idea to keep them up and running.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

We just got back from our snow trip and one thing that we didnt plan for was our propane bottles freezing. This was beyond frustrating. Couldn't get the stoves or lanterns to properly work. we would warm them up but in minutes they would freeze up again. regulators frozen. So if youre using tanks keeps that in mind. maybe a bottle warmer or hand warmers would be a good idea to keep them up and running.
For "emergencies", like if the above happens and there is no substantial dry wood for a campfire you can carry liquid fuel stoves (such as white gas) which work below freezing but do require priming. Alternate fuel stoves such as the Biolite, are also good and can literally run on a pile of twigs. But of course, neither of these will be as efficient as the old Coleman or the Skottle.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Since we live in a camper full-time, dealing with propane issues is a common event in the winter. A few things to keep in mind is that 1) usable propane is a vapor, and 2) frozen propane is a liquid. Once a propane fired device is drawing from the tank, the propane "boils" and gives off the vapor we burn. If your tank is full, or not positioned upright, you can take on liquid propane into your regulator and cause it to freeze up.

A few ways to prevent this is to 1) warm your tanks in your vehicle to help get that first part of propane burned off (which gives it more space for the vapor) 2) make sure they stay upright and 3) use partially filled tanks instead of full ones (not always feasible, but it helps!)

Also, when using full size tank, don't turn off your stove or buddy heater at the controls, instead turn off your propane tank first and let it burn what was left in the hose. The vapor can turn into a solid and begin to give you a headache in colder weather.

Just my experience so far... if you think warming a 1 pound coleman tank is fun... try warming a 40 pounder!

P.S. Frost on a tank or regulator is normal when the humidity is right, it's not always a sign of it being "frozen".

Recon2X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Monterey, CA
Member #

Warmest layers and gear the Army ever gave me was made from polartec. They have top and bottom grid fleece thermals. I've become slightly obsessed and a huge supporter of their cold weather layers. They've kept me warm numerous times sleeping in a hole in the ground for several days in freezing temperatures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

Warmest layers and gear the Army ever gave me was made from polartec. They have top and bottom grid fleece thermals. I've become slightly obsessed and a huge supporter of their cold weather layers. They've kept me warm numerous times sleeping in a hole in the ground for several days in freezing temperatures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app
Definitely helps with perspective, when you've done stuff like that. I still wear the thermals that I got for deployment.

Reactions: Recon2X

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Hey everyone - @Michael and I are heading out to the frigid world of Moab, UT next week and we need to up our winter gear game.

Any thoughts on what's needed for 20-30 degree F weather, dry climate, no snow? Brands you love? Items you can't live without?

Items we're looking at:

1. Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Mummy Bag Liner - to give our current bags more temp range
2. Clothing - Jackets, thermals, pants, gloves, hats, etc.
3. ...anything else...?

Tell me about your winter gear, please! :)

Corrie
These guys have covered it pretty well... I am getting ready to do 3 days in central Michigan forests camping and driving the trails in my Jeep. I;d be happy for 20-30 degrees F then lol.. It will be single digits during the day. One thing I may have missed when reading through the list is Hot-Hands..those little heat packets are GREAT for tossing by your toes in the sleeping bag or in your pockets.

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

I've got these silk long johns that are awesome in the cold. Thin and light but very warm.
Also for the tent I have a Mr Heater little buddy. I turn it on when I get in the tent to sleep, in about 5 minutes it's nice and toasty. Of course your tent size will determine the time it takes.
Little Buddy View attachment 12208
I also take those mylar emergency blankets with me to put under my sleeping bag if it's really cold. Helps radiate the heat back up to your body.
I found a bulk seller on Amazon a few years ago. Blankets
Of course I also take my trusty Mexican wool blankets too. :)
Nice! Just bought one for us, haven't used it yet, but looking forward to it soon.

Reactions: TXpedition

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

I was recommending glove to my mother-in-law last night, and thought to look up who makes the gloves I got from the Marine corps. I've been wearing the gloves, beanie, and neck gaiter for over a decade now. I think the gloves are even technically liners. Outdoor research is the company, they make a lot of adventure clothing and camping gear. They even have a nifty sale section. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/sale/gear-sale-s16.html?limit=all

Reactions: Corrie

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

The only thing I can recommend has a must have for winter camping is a quality fire starter kit. You can have all the nice warm clothes, but you're still SOL if you can't get a fire going. If you can successfully get a good fire in rain and snow without exhausting yourself, you can tackle anything.

Reactions: Corrie

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

I really like wiggys sleeping bags, they are made over in Grand Junction. We have had ours for over 20 years now, and are still pleased with them. They make a lot for the military.
My home in Moab is empty since my wife hates cold weather, we are in Arizona.
But if you do need something after you arrive, Gear Trader in Walkers shopping center, usually has a good selection of gear.
They're down under the old bank building.
And if they don't have what you need, GearHeads will.

Sent from my LG-H811 using OB Talk mobile app

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

Lots of great suggestions for keeping warm. I am big believer in wool. It has been mentioned several times about it's warming properties, and I think the fact that wool will keep you warm even when wet is the deal maker for me. I like the Filson products, I have been using there stuff for years and you have to work to destroy it, and made in the USA, mostly.
The other piece of staying warm is to not get hot, as in try not to work up a sweat when you are active. I purposely try to slow my self down when out doors, for this very reason, when you stop doing whatever and sit down, you will get cold very quick. I have often found that it is best for me, to take an out layer jacket off, be cold while I am doing something and putting it back on when I am done.
I keep wool blankets in all my vehicles, even gave some to all my family for Christmas this year. Great for under sleeping bags too, if needed.
Something my father used to say "It is easier to stay warm than it is to get warm"

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm wondering if anyone has used/experience with the UCO candle lantern for use in enclosed spaces for light/heat? I know it probably can't produce much heat. But if I'm sleeping on a sleeping platform in the back of my Tacoma, I think a Mr. Buddy heater will be bit overkill.

I purchased an Enlightened Equipment 20-degree quilt which I look forward to using soon. I did lay under it for a bit last weekend, though I didn't camp overnight. I was amazed at how warm that thing was for how light it is. It's also modular in that I can use it as a quilt to pull my pup next to me easily, or I can snap it around my sleeping pad to create more of a sleeping bag type of solution.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

So much good advice. I'll just add that I have a Rumpl down blanket I use around camp to stay off the cold. At bed time, I fold it over once, tuck it into my 23 degree bag. I do the base layers, fleece apparel, wool socks, etc etc etc but once I started using the Rumpl in the sleeping bag, no evening chills whatsoever.

Reactions: dziner

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

I have a Mountain Trapper sleeping bag from Cabellas that goes down to 0F that I would not be without. Also merino wool thermals are really good. I buy mine from a company called Alpkit but not sure if they ship to US. The good thing about wool vs synthetic is wool will keep you warm even when wet so if you are camping and it’s damp from condensation etc you will still be toasty warm:)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: dziner