Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murphys, California, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Lemmons
Member #

Hello everyone. I've been search for this answer all over, even contacted Rhino Rack themselves and the vendor I bought my rack from but I can't seem to get an answer. Does anyone know if there is a wind fairing for the rhino rack platform? I purchased one off rhino rack but it is only for standard crossbars and had to return it. Maybe I need a universal wind fairing... not sure. I like the rhino rack a lot, but wind noise at high speeds it vary loud. Any input anyone might have is appreciated.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Maybe check out yakima or Thule to see if they might have a size that works for you if not maybe look online. I am located in San Diego & I have purchased from eplastic.com they are local,cut items to size & have different materials available. Maybe DIY videos on you tube. I have a smittybilt src rack & have been looking into this as well . Good luck ✌

gorilladirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murphys, California, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Lemmons
Member #

Maybe check out yakima or Thule to see if they might have a size that works for you if not maybe look online. I am located in San Diego & I have purchased from eplastic.com they are local,cut items to size & have different materials available. Maybe DIY videos on you tube. I have a smittybilt src rack & have been looking into this as well . Good luck ✌
Thanks for the reply. The biggest issue with the rhino rack platform are the slat spacings and fining a fairing that is not only the correct width, but on that mounts properly between the slats. Thanks again for the input.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Thanks for the reply. The biggest issue with the rhino rack platform are the slat spacings and fining a fairing that is not only the correct width, but on that mounts properly between the slats. Thanks again for the input.
Gotcha my bad anyway I was thing it was a rack similar to mine smittybilt src. Not just a platform. Sorry could be more help good luck.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hello everyone. I've been search for this answer all over, even contacted Rhino Rack themselves and the vendor I bought my rack from but I can't seem to get an answer. Does anyone know if there is a wind fairing for the rhino rack platform? I purchased one off rhino rack but it is only for standard crossbars and had to return it. Maybe I need a universal wind fairing... not sure. I like the rhino rack a lot, but wind noise at high speeds it vary loud. Any input anyone might have is appreciated.
Not saying this is what's happening for you, but a lot of times it is one or more of the mounting brackets, or that the rack is not loaded, or the way an item is loaded, that creates the wind noise. Sometimes it's just a matter of having all mounts tightened down to the same degree, or moving a rack back or forward a hair on your particular vehicle to avoid a harmonic vibration of sorts.

I had it happen with a roof rack on a passenger car one time near the beginning of a trip. We thought we had a wheel bearing going bad. Stopped at a repair shop, did a bunch of diagnosing, and finally found that it was the roof rack mounts just not tightened down evenly and that the difference produced a sound that transmitted down through the vehicle. That's all it was. After that, the whole trip of about 2,000 miles was sound free.

I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform now and love it, and though it's on my trailer, I've never noticed any wind noise or vibration. One of the things I like about Rhino Racks over some others is that the slats go lengthwise, not across, and though some mfgs say it make no difference in noise or mpg, too many others know that it has on theirs.

Hope you get it figured out, and if you find a wind fairing that works or that it is from something else, let us know. Others may find the info useful.

gorilladirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murphys, California, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Lemmons
Member #

Not saying this is what's happening for you, but a lot of times it is one or more of the mounting brackets, or that the rack is not loaded, or the way an item is loaded, that creates the wind noise. Sometimes it's just a matter of having all mounts tightened down to the same degree, or moving a rack back or forward a hair on your particular vehicle to avoid a harmonic vibration of sorts.

I had it happen with a roof rack on a passenger car one time near the beginning of a trip. We thought we had a wheel bearing going bad. Stopped at a repair shop, did a bunch of diagnosing, and finally found that it was the roof rack mounts just not tightened down evenly and that the difference produced a sound that transmitted down through the vehicle. That's all it was. After that, the whole trip of about 2,000 miles was sound free.

I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform now and love it, and though it's on my trailer, I've never noticed any wind noise or vibration. One of the things I like about Rhino Racks over some others is that the slats go lengthwise, not across, and though some mfgs say it make no difference in noise or mpg, too many others know that it has on theirs.

Hope you get it figured out, and if you find a wind fairing that works or that it is from something else, let us know. Others may find the info useful.

Yeah, thought of that. Went through and retightened everything, just in case. I read on another commerce site that someone was complaining about the wind noise as well on these and looking for a fairing. I think these suckers are just loud. :)

Reactions: Road

gorilladirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Murphys, California, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Lemmons
Member #

Just in case anyone else has a Rhino Rack Platform set up, I couldn't get anyone from rhinorack.com to answer my question, but decided to ask on amazon on their wind fairing product listing and wouldn't you know, they answered! Here's what they said when asked if any of their wind fairings would fit the platform...

"Hello Blake, These are all designed for crossbars only, but have no fear! A new Rhino-Rack Pioneer wind fairing is comming very soon and should be available for purchase in the USA in the next couple of months. Keep an eye on www.rhinorack.com as when these are in stock, they will appear on our website and then Amazon as well."

Reactions: 1SF4Runner and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just in case anyone else has a Rhino Rack Platform set up, I couldn't get anyone from rhinorack.com to answer my question, but decided to ask on amazon on their wind fairing product listing and wouldn't you know, they answered! Here's what they said when asked if any of their wind fairings would fit the platform...

"Hello Blake, These are all designed for crossbars only, but have no fear! A new Rhino-Rack Pioneer wind fairing is comming very soon and should be available for purchase in the USA in the next couple of months. Keep an eye on www.rhinorack.com as when these are in stock, they will appear on our website and then Amazon as well."
That's awesome, man. The power of the web. . . companies both large and small now have dedicated employees just to handle social media and user comments at places like amazon. Glad they answered and hope when the new fairing comes out it solves your howling.

1SF4Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Francisco Bay Area
Member #

Blake, do you have any pictures of your rack installed you'd care to share?

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
Did you guys every purchase one of these. I agree the Pioneer Platform even Unloaded with nothing on it is VERY LOUD. And yes I drive a Wrangler with a Hard top but it wasn't this loud until I added pioneer platform. It makes a swoosh noise all through the the top. I just want to know if this actually helps before forking out the 200 bucks.

Reactions: ROMÁN_OVERLAND_502

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
I ended up building one from a few homedepot parts plus a polycarbonate sheet - reduces the noice by 90% - rattles a little with side wind but a thicker sheet likely would fix that

IMG_7122.JPGIMG_7125.JPGIMG_8326.JPG

What is nice it is clear so the sunroof is still fully functional

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign