Winch powered by Starting or Auxiliary power? What do you recommend?

• HTML tutorial

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Please eloaborate on a ISOLATOR for the GM/Chevy trucks. I have a 2003 Duramax, and before that a 1985 F150 4x4 that i added a isolated dual battery system that allowed me to jump the starter battery from the aux. battery. There has been 2 times that my batterys went flat in my Silverado, along with a slow starter,which only manifested itself at that point.
I was not aware (electrical newbie) that a dual battery isolator system was possible without some kind of elaborate rewire! So please do a follow up on what was involved...thx
The factory battery is connected as usual, and then a separate capable powers the 2nd battery's positive terminal from the main battery's positive terminal (which comes from the alternator). The isolator ensures the two batteries are only connected when there is sufficient voltage coming from the main battery. It is a pretty easy install that requires minimal modification to the factory wiring or electronics.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have 2 batteries in my Willys. I have a Cole Hersee battery master switch, and between that and my winch I have a 400 amp Mega fuse. When I use my winch if I can I keep the engine running at 1300-1500 RPM (I've got a hand throttle) and I switch to the battery 2 position and winch away. I like using only one of my batteries with the winch because if I drain it I still have a fully charged battery to go to for starting, using lights, winching, etc.

(Edit) I used 2/0 welding cable for all my battery ground, engine ground and main power cables. I have 1/0 welding cable for my winch and winch ground, I don't have much if any voltage loss with these cables.

M750.jpg

87900_primary_225px.jpg87900_primary_225px.jpg

th-6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RichieFromBoston

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

starting battery always. I have two odyessey extremes 170AH total 100ah does lights invertor fridge etc. main battery is 70AH and it does truck and winch. I also have a hand throttle installed to keep rpms up if I ever actually had to winch, But id rive a land cruiser 80 so winch is just for others. usually.
What winch are you running that only draws 170amp? My 13k winch requires 650amp to run at full load. Even my smallest winch 8k uses 400amp to run full load.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

This is the specs for my 12k winch....

I think your numbers are a bit off....

winch amps.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Not exactly sure how me telling the AMP HOURS of my dual batteries somehow equates into winch draw. but maybe its just me

I have two odyessey extremes 170AH total 100ah does lights invertor fridge etc. main battery is 70AH and it does truck and winch
Im not sure how you are running a battery with same amp hour as my lawn mower yet running a larger winch than me i run a 13k and my battery is 1000cca. You must have some crazy huge alternator. If its working for you good but i dont see how thats gonna last if you really use the winch.

Amps are what matter for battery capacity, if it were voltage i could just put 8 aaa batteries together to make 12v and run a winch or start a car.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Im not sure how you are running a battery with same amp hour as my lawn mower yet running a larger winch than me i run a 13k and my battery is 1000cca. You must have some crazy huge alternator. If its working for you good but i dont see how thats gonna last if you really use the winch.

Amps are what matter for battery capacity, if it were voltage i could just put 8 aaa batteries together to make 12v and run a winch or start a car.
Amps drawn by winch and amp-hrs rating of battery are two different things. His 170AH battery can draw 170A for 1 hr, 340A for 1/2 hr, 680A for 15 minutes etc, under perfect conditions. So he has plenty of battery unless it is a massive winch job.