Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

They are exide batteries
(A) Brand please, as most deep cycle batteries have lower CCA numbers than that. Having a 6.6 Duramax Diesel, the recommended minimum is at 800 CCA in my application. I once had to put in a set rated at 700 CCA, as that was all they had at the time. They lasted about as long as the 800 CCA rated ones. So when I see a 900 rated battery, and it is not a...starter battery, I was wondering.....mmm

When you say truck/marine, was this a hybrid like the Optima YELLOW TOP?????(red=starter/blue=deep cycle).
(B) Price?
20190526_093630.jpg20190526_093630.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Thanks for the update. Those are big batteries, so they have a lot of plates in them. I have 2 strikes working against me. (1) GM puts a smaller size battery tray in their trucks, diesel not withstanding, which of course limits the battery power, as the case size has a affect on CCA availability. (2) GM also has side posts rather than top mounts, and I have never seen a high CCA available battery with that type of cable offering. If you put a side post vs top post case(same size) side by side, the top post will have more robust CCA numbers I believe, at least that has been my experience.

Ugh........battery envy, who would have thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoggMan1163

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thanks for the update. Those are big batteries, so they have a lot of plates in them. I have 2 strikes working against me. (1) GM puts a smaller size battery tray in their trucks, diesel not withstanding, which of course limits the battery power, as the case size has a affect on CCA. (2) GM also has side posts rather than top mounts, and I have never seen a high CCA available battery with that type of cable offering. If you put a side post vs top post case(same size) side by side, the top post will have more robust CCA numbers.

The colorado duramax comes with a 900 amp battery from the factory. So im sure some autoparts store or walmart carries it. Its a long battery for sure over the 6-700 cca i was used to.

Ohio_Sundowner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mechanicsburg Ohio
Member #

smittybilt x20 series is what I went with ….love the wireless control and I do use a 2nd battery and I also installed a CTEK D250S Dual and have never has a problem. Also I has one more Ctek 250s if someone is looking for one.

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Thanks for the update. Those are big batteries, so they have a lot of plates in them. I have 2 strikes working against me. (1) GM puts a smaller size battery tray in their trucks, diesel not withstanding, which of course limits the battery power, as the case size has a affect on CCA. (2) GM also has side posts rather than top mounts, and I have never seen a high CCA available battery with that type of cable offering. If you put a side post vs top post case(same size) side by side, the top post will have more robust CCA numbers.

I had to modify the tray area and lowered it about a inch

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You guys that are talking about replacing your steel cable with synthetic rope know you have to also replace the drum if you ever pulled with the steel cable right? The steel cable bites into the drum causing small abrasions on hard pulls. The more hard pulls the more abrasions. these abrasions can and will cut a synthetic rope.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

You guys that are talking about replacing your steel cable with synthetic rope know you have to also replace the drum if you ever pulled with the steel cable right? The steel cable bites into the drum causing small abrasions on hard pulls. The more hard pulls the more abrasions. these abrasions can and will cut a synthetic rope.
You can generally sand down any burs or corrosion on the drum down and put them right back into service with synthetic. Now I’ve pulled the line off one that wasn’t, but in that case we actually found a hairline crack in the drum due to a manufacturing defect.