Will National Forest Service Offroad Trails Close with Government Shutdown?

• HTML tutorial

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I'm planning to go camping at a couple of different yellow post sites late next week and into the weekend (Southern California Area). Does anyone know if the National Forest Service will close these trails (i.e. lock gates) if there is a government shutdown?

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

FYI I called forest service. They said they will get 4 hours notice and likely the best they can do is update the website stating closure of department, but they will leave sites open but with no services (i.e. if a site has facilities the trash cans will over-flow, etc.) They will not have time to close trails.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I'm planning to go camping at a couple of different yellow post sites late next week and into the weekend (Southern California Area). Does anyone know if the National Forest Service will close these trails (i.e. lock gates) if there is a government shutdown?
Nope. They left them wide open last time. Sure hope there are no fires out here in the West.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
government shutdown? millions of acers with no rangers...no law...no order?
lets see who tells me i cant water the cactus with my gray water now! :smilingimp:

1696120635290.png

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Side note - In the process I learned that the trail I am going to had some damage from storms over the summer. But utility company has facailities near the top so they maintain the trail to a degree. Nice to know. Ranger said right after the storms trail was rough but is in much better shape after maintenance.

And it looks like shutdown is temp averted. My brother appreciates that. He is a government contractor for the military but not essential. He was furloughed 10 years or so ago on the last shutdown.

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
Shutdown plans are updated every couple of years. USFS, NPS, and BLM have their own policies. Each administration has an opportunity to take a different posture related to closure.

It is great that congress has passed a continuing resolution.

See you on the trail.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
government shutdown? millions of acers with no rangers...no law...no order?
lets see who tells me i cant water the cactus with my gray water now! :smilingimp:

View attachment 267070
Yea. That is the sort of behavior that makes us all look like responsibal adults that don't need oversight.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Gates? Many forest roads don’t have any.
Ha! You haven't spent any time then exploring the George Washington/ Jefferson/ Monongahela Nat Forests in the mid-Atlantic area, then. Not a criticism of you, so please don't take it that way. Seems like over half of the roads are gated closed except for a couple of months in the fall for certain hunting seasons. The frustrations of east coast dispersed camping...

Reactions: Nickel

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Like a fence stops me anyways.

I'll be finding all kinds of new stealth camping spots (on foot) if our parks shutdown.

Nobody really uses our free hike-in sites hardly, anyways.