Will I hate not having a winch for Overland?

• HTML tutorial

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Situation 1 definitely best describes it. Since my vehicle is my daily driver I tend to be conservative and avoid situations and obstacles that increase the chances of getting in to trouble (off camber, steep grades, boulder fields, etc.).
Aah, nice! Well, maybe I just haven't been to enough of those epic places to know what it is like to take those risks solely to get to that sweet spot!

Does anyone here run two winches, one on each end of the vehicle?

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Aah, nice! Well, maybe I just haven't been to enough of those epic places to know what it is like to take those risks solely to get to that sweet spot!
You start getting off road and the hazards can stack up pretty quickly...getting bogged down in snow, sand and mud can be that much worse out in the middle of no where no matter how careful you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: w_m_photo

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Well, you are all doing a great job of tipping me toward the winch side of things...

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Overall I agree with everything stated here, while a winch does not need to be first priority, it should be on the list, especially as you stated you do the majority of your trips alone. I didn't have on for the first 3 years of owning the FJ, and while I didn't "need" it, I did have to be helped out of situations by other vehicles that did have winches. Yes I was intentionally putting myself in challenging situations, so this was not unexpected.

Fast forward to this summer, me and the wife and dog are doing a solo trip through the mountains, so I am playing it safe as we are solo and in unknown country . The winch has been on the vehicle now for 2 years, never used to recover myself yet, I was driving along a decent trail , went across what appeared to be a slightly wet section, ground turned into soup as I drove onto it, and sunk all the way to the skid plates, front tires spinning uselessly in the air back tires spinning slowly digging down. Could I have dug out? Probably. Used the Highlift? sure. But I spooled out the winch, tied it off on a tree saver, and was out in about 5 minutes total. Went around the next corner of the trail, and BAM! slid into a rut, doing the exact same thing. I had intended to straddle the rut, but the trail had other plans.
This one took a bit longer, about 20 minutes, as I had to do 2 pulls to get out of the ditch. I would've been tired, sweaty, and angry after having to dig out of that one. Not sure how effective Maxtrax type boards would have been, I don't have any experience with them, but the winch earned my undying gratitude after this one.

14067787_10154309840246368_1977333432755925123_o.jpg

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

wishing I had a winch 2.5 hours of fun with a hi lift and a shovel. There were 2 of us stuck. Now when I get stuck like that 10 minutes and im back moving again. I put a winch on 2 weeks after this picture was taken lol.

Sent from my LGMS631 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 9Mike2

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
wishing I had a winch 2.5 hours of fun with a hi lift and a shovel. There were 2 of us stuck. Now when I get stuck like that 10 minutes and im back moving again. I put a winch on 2 weeks after this picture was taken lol.

Sent from my LGMS631 using OB Talk mobile app
I dug myself out of a similar situation last weekend. Not fun, but it's not like I was stuck forever because I didn't have a winch. Honestly, I'm more interested in Maxtrax at this point, but a winch is DEFINITELY on my list.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA

Does anyone here run two winches, one on each end of the vehicle?
Winches on both ends would be ideal. But there is a way with just one winch and 3 snatch blocks and anchors to pull yourself backwards with a front winch. I have seen videos on it, and studied the technique, but have never done it myself. It is VERY slow, but it works. As for is a winch needed when overlanding, no. You need what is between your ears. Practice using what you have for recovery gear. Understand the limits of your vehicle. Know your limits. Having said that, I own a winch. A big one. I have lockers, skid plates, sliders, bigger tires, and a lot of recovery gear. I go out alone with my wife and dog. I have 30+ years of offroad experience. I have taught military offroad courses. I will never own another vehicle without all the stuff I have now. I go as far into the boonies as I possibly can. I have had vehicles refuse to follow me. I think that if you prepare yourself mentally, and prepare your rig properly (winch), you are just fine going alone. Safe is a relative term. Carry a satellite communicator and a good first aid kit, and have fun. And if you are going alone, get a good winch from a company with a reputation. That is something you do not want to skimp on. I used to volunteer on a county search and rescue 4x4 team and as an EMT before I retired. Now when I go out I try to make sure SAR never has to come look for me. Too embarrassing... Enough rambling. Go forth and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Ideal would be to have snatch blocks built in and feed the line back out the end or two winches. But that is some work to do it.. I have seen the videos but it seems like it would only put your vehicle in a bind. The winch would want to pull forward on the vehicle and backward at the same time...

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Military trucks do just that. Works great. It does put a LOT of stress on equipment using that technique and should only be done as a last resort.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TxBlacKKat

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Marcos TX
Member #

Throwing my two pennies towards the winch.

I currently use an 8k tractor supply winch with upgraded solenoid and cable.

I have used it once to recover myself. I have used it many times to recover others. I've used it more to move big sheds or unearth very stuck tractors..

It's a tool, one that when not needed it sits patiently on the front of my bumper but when needed jumps into action in the most satisfying of ways.

I read above somewhere, someone mentioning they needed a secondary battery to use a winch. As awesome as a dual battery setup is it's not required to make a winch function.

The bottom line is do what works for you! Save for the things that you find useful!

I've only been on this forum for a very short time but I enjoy everyone's willingness to give their perspective. That's how to learn from their experiences and apply it in whatever way works best for you (:

2008 Jeep Liberty"BlacKKat", Custom bumpers by At The Helm Fabrication 2in lift 245/75/16 Mtr Kevlar.
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work"

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I run a smittybilt xrc9k with aftermarket synthetic line and have yet to use it. However I did have steel cable for about a year and used it a ton. It was as if installing the synthetic line caused me to no longer use the winch however I'm glad to have it. It has come in handy for things I never imagined.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Pete3

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I am in near the same boat as OP (first gen Taco, however). One idea I've been looking at is installing quality front and rear tow receivers, and buying a strong winch cradle. As far as the winch, I'm looking for deals (recently 4WP had a Warn Zeon 10s for $899, sad to have missed that).

If I'm certain to use good hardware all around, that should give me recovery/winch points front and rear without much added weight or cost (of aftermarket bumpers). Sure, I'll have to use my shovel a bit more, but that's always gonna come out first and get the dirtiest, followed by my MaxTrax.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Edit: 10s, not 9s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Josh

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

We realized the returning gearhead in me was getting a bit too excited about modding the 2016. So I am going to buy myself a 3rd gen 4runner! The TRDP will still be lifted 2" on 33s, but it likely won't see anything beyond sliders.

Now I can have my cake (have a vehicle with near-stock reliability and classy aesthetics) and eat it too (the 3rd gen with full armor, 4.56s or possibly 4.88s, locker(s), and, of course, a winch)!

On overland trips to more aggressive places, we will now plan to convoy in both vehicles, which will cut down a lot on the risks we have discussed. There will also be times we just take the 3rd gen by itself, which should be both a bit more capable but also a little less whiney about scratches and such haha. Of course, we will still have the hi-lift as an alternate winching option should we get the TRDP stuck somewhere by itself, but this new line of options really makes that less and less likely (especially since she will usually be driving the 2016, and won't be enticed into the "hey, skeeter, watch this!" kinds of messes that had always plagued me).

Plus, on our last offroad camping trip, we are the only ones in our group of friends with a vehicle capable of getting to the site we used. So, we ended up with 6 adults and 5 dogs packed into the 4runner. Obviously, the solution to that is to simply buy another 4runner...right? Plus, it will be an excuse to take more friends into the outdoors :D .

Win - win - win.....win?

Attachments

Last edited:

Spurs14

Rank 0

Contributor II

Uk
Hi guess I looked at this question a while ago , for me if you travel with other vehicles then no it's not a must have , it's often easier ,safer and quicker to be snatched out or towed
If you're travelling solo then yes I would go for one you need that self recovery

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Sold my civic! Goodbye 42mpg... hello sweet rig!

I've already got online carts chock full of goodies :P . Now all I need is a vehicle to put them on haha.

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

When I decided to set up the Xterra for more overland and adventure type travel, a winch was on my list of must haves. I bought a Super winch TS9500 with synthetic line for ir around $500. I consider a winch an insurance policy against what troubles I might find I get myself into. For me, budgeting for a winch and Arb bumper to mount it to was a worthwhile investment. Have I had to use it for self recovery yet? No. (Not yet) I have used it to help winch my friend up a nasty section on Mineral Creek trail in Ouray when his trailer got stuck. In that case having the winch allowed us to continue on and up to an epic overnight camping spot, and over Engineer Pass the next day. I've also helped winch a stuck work van out of the snow, and help rescue some kids we happened upon who got their truck stuck in a mud pit. We really like to travel solo and the winch is simply one more tool in our arsenal that allows for some peace of mind in our travels.

Sent from the Mountains

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Every time I think I should install a winch I remember Gunther Holtorf who drove his G wagon 560,000 miles around the world, traveling for 26 years without a winch.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Lindenwood

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

Not to be snarky, but I thought there was no "right" way to overland? In any case, whether right or wrong, I am still quite certain most of our trips will be single-vehicle for reasons both in and out of our control

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

I think there is a right way to overland. Which I can assume most will agree on is "the safe way" no reason to put yourself in unnecessary danger. You choose what makes your overlanding the safest and most enjoyable.