Will I hate not having a winch for Overland?

• HTML tutorial

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I think there is a right way to overland. Which I can assume most will agree on is "the safe way" no reason to put yourself in unnecessary danger. You choose what makes your overlanding the safest and most enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
What are you actually saying?

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

What are you actually saying?
If you think your gonna go in places alone that are more questionable that might require a winch you should get one. I am a believer in have it and not need it then need and not have it. But that is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: gandrimp

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Our current plan is to take both vehicles as much as we can, which gives us the winch, hi lift, and snatch straps as great recovery options. Occasionally we might take just one or the other, but we will only take the 5th gen (wih no winch or skids, and for a while no sliders) on milder trips like going skiing or whatever.

Mvan49

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

Our main use for our 4Runner TRD Pro is as the wife's DD and our camping / adventuring vehicle. So, most of the planned upgrades are centered around increasing basic offroad capability (aggressive tires and probably a mild lift) and longevity (planning full skids and sliders, for example). So far, all of our offroading has been alone and unafraid, and I expect that will continue into the future.

That said, I am pretty sure we will always carry the 60" hi-lift when off pavement to any unknown location, and winching with one is certainly feasible with a good kit, if not obviously a bit tedious. However, the intent of all the planned recovery gear is, for us, more for emergency self recovery, rather than to enable us to actively seek overly-challenging trails and obstacles for 'wheelin's own sake. (Not knocking wheeling for fun, but we didn't buy this particular vehicle for that).

Given the winch might get used once or twice per year for self recovery, and would save maybe maybe an hour each time over using the Hi-Lift to winch out of a real bind (assuming jacking and packing wasn't the better solution), would you guys say the extra 150lbs and $1,500 (winch + hidden mount) to $3,000 (winch + Al bumper) is worth it? (Of course, I could buy a $300 HF winch and $500 mount, but I am not going to publicly admit that I have cobsidered such a blasphemous option :P ).

Honestly, the only time I can imagine a winch would be truly valuable to us is if we underestimate and try to pass through a long, muddied section of trail and get stuck in the middle with trees or embankments that prevent us from turning out. In that case, being able to winch 50+ feet without taking a long time would be pretty nice. Otherwise, I can imagine wanting to recover backwards just as often as forwards, where a front-mounted winch may or may not be helpful.

Thanks!
I've been giving this a ton of thought as well. I have a Titan that I'm converting to an overland vehicle. Im strongly leaning to putting a front hitch on my truck and mounting the winch toon a cradle with receiver. I know this will reduce my approach angle a bit over rougher terrain but I see a big upside. I can mount the winch only when I need it so no worries with it being stolen because it's not a peminant and I can use it on the front or rear by simply moving it to the rear hitch.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Well, I WILL have a winch, but as BillyBadly has stated, when I have the money. I am one that believes having everything and not using it is better than, getting in a situation and needing something. However, I also believe that most of us do not have the money to get everything at the first go. So, I believe there is an order to which we buy and will get us overlanding quickly and confidently. First, tires, then roof rack, then suspension, then maxxtraxx, hi-jack lift, shovel/axe, then bullbar w/ winch then rear bumper with swingout and gas can addition.

This is how I am going, missing a few things I know, but I can feel good taking my family out right now, but will just feel safer and more confident in the future. Anyone with 15k laying around, let me know please, I will gladly take it off your hands

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

As far as having "everything," I apply the same thing to my hiking and "survival" gear. When I was in peak shape, I could hump a ruck just fine. But, it freaking sucks no matter how strong you are. Even in that physical condition, I hiked for 3 days in the mountains of the Philippines with a pack deliberately pared down to about 17lbs, including water and changes of clothes.

In the same vein, you can, quite literally, have a whole truck full of "useful" gear. But, at some point, you start hitting points of diminishing returns as detriments in cost, function (weight or drag), aesthetics (for a DD), and even security (not worrying having your winch stolen, etc) start to become more and more of a factor.

There are lots of Aussie articles talking about how you can literally get your rig out of any situation with a Hi-lift, the right accessories, and enough time. Of course, recoveries degrade a good bit in both time and safety with "just" those tools, but those negatives are neither insurmountable nor unmitigateable.

All that said, I am still adding a winch to my personal rig, just to have. If for nothing else, I know my wife would not likely enjoy standing around while I take 30-60 minutes to hand-winch out of some situation when I could do it in 5-10 mins with a bunper winch. But, I do think they are highly over-prioritized relative to other stuff that would actually go further to increase a rig's capability or utility for its owners actual or planned uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and NotGumby

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

This is from another thread, but I thought its placement of a winch was interesting.

Admittedly, it probably applies more to wheeling in groups, and definitely seems to be more geared toward wheeling itself rather than long-distance exploring. But, still interesting!

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

In overlanding, a winch is an insurance policy. At some point you will make a poor decision and not turn around when you really do know better.

I have had a Warn winch on the front of my personal JKU for 4 years and havent used it for myself... yet. I have had to stop and pull out others I have found on the trail who ventured a bit too far.

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I think of it as an energy saver...I got stuck one time...mud hole. It was super hot out, no one would answer cell that could help. I ended up using my hi-lift chains etc. I was a wet pissed tired and damn near dead getting it out. Its not as easy as it sounds. As I get older saving energy and not getting myself hurt is important. That being said ..I bought a 12k smittybuilt...

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Its a basic 9500. I went back and forth on the steel vs synthetic, and ultimately settled on the longevity of steel. If I did more hard wheeling, Id have gone synthetic, but Id be extremely surprised if I use this thing more than once a year.

Can't wait to start on my bumper builds! I am very tempted to start with a winch mounting plate, since a heavy piece of similar is going to cost $20-30 in scrap alone!

Though, we just decided to move to a nicer house (as in, hopefully put our house up for sale in a couple weeks!), so it might be a bit longer :( .

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Winching with the Hi-Lift is very strenuous. I'd only want to do it to reverse the truck out, maybe 2 lengths of the standard, depending on the stuck/mire factor.

The hitch receiver winch is good choice if you think it'll be used in both locations. After watching the video of that guy floating his truck with the kids inside, and mounting the hitch winch on the rear in freezing water, you'd want to plan ahead for that. If you think there's a good chance of getting stuck I would mount that thing before moving forward.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Sorry, by winch mounting plate I mean the large plates that have all the holes, meant for bolting or welding to the frame rails to serve as the basis for the bumper. I will be welding mine to the frame rails, and building the bumper around it.

Indeed, on trips where I expet I might actually get stuck, I'll still have the winching chains for winching with the hi-lift in reverse. Though, referencing the chart above, most of my wheeling is going to be in the "2 to 4" range, so Id be surprised if I use the winch more than once a year.

Reactions: caleath

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sorry, by winch mounting plate I mean the large plates that have all the holes, meant for bolting or welding to the frame rails to serve as the basis for the bumper. I will be welding mine to the frame rails, and building the bumper around it.

Indeed, on trips where I expet I might actually get stuck, I'll still have the winching chains for winching with the hi-lift in reverse. Though, referencing the chart above, most of my wheeling is going to be in the "2 to 4" range, so Id be surprised if I use the winch more than once a year.
Thanks for sharing this...I was just going to make a plate..this will be faster

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

We decided to move 3 days ago, and are prepping and packing our house. She found my winch stashed in a corner of my office and was complaining how heavy it was as she wheeled it into the garage on the dolly...

Ssshhh :P

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Moving sucks..thought I would share a picture though. Its not finish welded yet..and I am going to add another hitch mount on the drivers side.

20170410_080801.jpg

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Our main use for our 4Runner TRD Pro is as the wife's DD and our camping / adventuring vehicle. So, most of the planned upgrades are centered around increasing basic offroad capability (aggressive tires and probably a mild lift) and longevity (planning full skids and sliders, for example). So far, all of our offroading has been alone and unafraid, and I expect that will continue into the future.

That said, I am pretty sure we will always carry the 60" hi-lift when off pavement to any unknown location, and winching with one is certainly feasible with a good kit, if not obviously a bit tedious. However, the intent of all the planned recovery gear is, for us, more for emergency self recovery, rather than to enable us to actively seek overly-challenging trails and obstacles for 'wheelin's own sake. (Not knocking wheeling for fun, but we didn't buy this particular vehicle for that).

Given the winch might get used once or twice per year for self recovery, and would save maybe maybe an hour each time over using the Hi-Lift to winch out of a real bind (assuming jacking and packing wasn't the better solution), would you guys say the extra 150lbs and $1,500 (winch + hidden mount) to $3,000 (winch + Al bumper) is worth it? (Of course, I could buy a $300 HF winch and $500 mount, but I am not going to publicly admit that I have cobsidered such a blasphemous option :P ).

Honestly, the only time I can imagine a winch would be truly valuable to us is if we underestimate and try to pass through a long, muddied section of trail and get stuck in the middle with trees or embankments that prevent us from turning out. In that case, being able to winch 50+ feet without taking a long time would be pretty nice. Otherwise, I can imagine wanting to recover backwards just as often as forwards, where a front-mounted winch may or may not be helpful.

Thanks!
Here is my 2 cents.

For Long Distance Overlanding it is a nice to have but not a necessity IMHO. I base this on 32 years of off reading on every continent except South America. when you are a long ways from home like across the country, or on another continent on a multi month expedition with your wife and dog....Generally you don't go wheelin' and run the risk of destroying something, getting in an accident, ruining your trip etc.
Pretty much 99.9% of the time you are travelling as a solo vehicle and a long way from home. Also On those trips weight is paramount because it affects gas mileage and weight adds stress to your drive train, engine and other components.
IMHO Road side assistance in North America is a money saver when on the other side of the continent, just saying.
With all that said, if during trip planning for our trip to South America I figure we will require a winch plus land anchors etc then yes it will be bought and installed. But we are still going to be alone.

For going on a Overland Bound trail run or weekend trail fest, 4wheeling or off-roading, Jeeping, rock crawling, exploring where goats fear to tread.....you should have another vehicle with you, tow points, shackles, tow straps, etc and a winch and I'll say it again, don't go alone.

Here is the thing, we just bought a 2017 Taco TRD Off Road. The build starts this week. Because it is going to be our long distance overland vehicle the winch and front bumper are near the bottom of the list.
We overland alone. The kids are all grown up and married. Now it's us and our dog. After our last cross country trip in our jeep we decided to buy a Tacoma for the long trips. The off-road capability of the Tacoma TRD Off Road package is great. It will get us into BLM or Crown Land to set up camp, we can effectively go anywhere we want to go stock.
As a result I want to be careful what mods I do to keep the weight down for other things like, we will tow a trailer behind us etc.

You need to decide, are you rock crawling? Are you muddling? Are you trail running? Or are you on a long distance adventure living out of your rig crossing the equator or arctic circle?
Then do your build.
Just my thoughts as we are kind of in the same boat.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk