Wild Camping in Scandinavia.

• HTML tutorial

thorstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lier, Norway
Member #

as we're heading north tomorrow morning, can ANYONE tell me please how road tolls for the tourist routes in norway, such as panoramavegen, jotunheimvegen etc. are being paid at the gates?
As mentioned in our conversation, its mostly cash but alot of those stations also accept credit card :blush:

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Nowadays a lot of road tolls have automatic booths. you either have to buy a pre-paid subscription and mount a transceiver in you r car, or just ignore them. Especially if you have foreign number plates. You may receive a bill in the post 6-12 months after your visit.

Reactions: PeterC

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

tolls on Rv or E roads. am registered to EPC anyways. other scenic veien paid by credit card, dead easy. no on the ferry back to denmark. was an amazing trip, despite the weather :-(

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Yes the weather has been terrible this 'summer' :-( Not much that can be done about it though.

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

another note on this: all (!) wild camp sites I spotted prior to the tour using google maps/earth where on private land and only reachable via private roads. for wild camping one must go way further north it seems ..

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Our experience is that in Sweden it is much easier to find a camp spot than in Norway. In Sweden we just take any road into the forest and follow them for a few km. we try to look for roads build for forest management. They all have a turning point at the end ideal for camping.

In South to middle) Norway we hardly found any spots that were not private spots. Maybe as mentioned above more north you can find some?

And yes, going low profile when wild camping is always a must.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

A visit to you up there. that is what I meant. Iam pretty booked more or less next year. But maybe something works out. Not sure yet.
Back to topic however.

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I'm a new member to this forum and live in Sweden. I noticed that it is written that the allemänsrätt here in Sweden was 48hrs, that is incorrect, it's actually 24 hours. With that said, as mentioned several times in this thread keeping low profile and out of eyesight does help a lot if you wish to extend your stay in anyone location.

Reactions: Joey83 and MazeVX

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

I'm a new member to this forum and live in Sweden. I noticed that it is written that the allemänsrätt here in Sweden was 48hrs, that is incorrect, it's actually 24 hours. With that said, as mentioned several times in this thread keeping low profile and out of eyesight does help a lot if you wish to extend your stay in anyone location.
but as well limited to hikers and bikers right? not motorized overlanders or RVs

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Motorized overlanders or RV's have stricter guidelines as those vehicles fall also under the offroad vehicle laws. The law states "there is no right of public access for motorized vehicles" If you for example drive onto a grassy meadow and camp, you can be penalized if reported to the police. Even driving private roads is not permitted, but if its not marked with a private road sign then you can pass.

It is strict in the Nordic's and confusing sometimes but as it has been mentioned before if your unseen and leave no signs of your stay, then you'll be fine.

An example that I can give from last summer was the 7 nights that we spent on Gotland. At one beach a man walking his dog came up to us and tried to run us off "his" beach even though we were parked in an accepted parking area. Once I clearly showed him on the gps and local terrain maps where we were and rights that we had he changed his tune. BUT afterwards we felt un welcomed and uncomfortable therefore left. A half hour later we found an empty beach that we had to ourselves.

Quite and peaceful, an excellent nights camp.

2017-Gotland-1-64.1.jpg

Reactions: nickburt

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

We only use existing "roads" in the forest. These are usualy old forestery roads. At the end there is usualy a turning point witch is perfect for camping. But riding across Sweden, there are many little roads that lead to nice spots, just folow them and be suppriced.

Reactions: PeterC and nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Some interesting info here guys, thank you for sharing.

Will be considering the possibility of wild camping in our Scandinavia trip in 2020.

If we do wild camp, it'll be for one night only at at time, either because we like the look of the area and there aren't any campsites locally, or because we've been forced to stop for mechanical reasons.

Am I correct in the translation of "allemänsrätt" to mean "Freedom to Roam".

Reactions: PeterC

Advocate II

You guys.....feel welcome to our corner of the world....feel very welcome[emoji847]

I think the experience overall is that we have a somewhat more liberal attitude and that transpires well into our topic....wild camping.

I’m 52 and has been out and about for years....I do not like commercial camping sites at all and I avoid them.

So......no littering, no trace and by staying out of sight if possible....wild camping is sweet......only one encounter in Sweden over all this time...? Not bad, not bad at all...and we just left quietly before breakfast....no worries

Unspoiled nature with scenery just for you .....it’s all there for those with good maps and a curious nature ....in other words we overlanders!

The best camping in Norway is free!!

Welcome[emoji847]

Picture taken north of Aarhus/Denmark last summer....

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: PeterC and Yngve