Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Here the rules, regulations and laws concerning Wild Camping in Scandinavia.
(please correct me if Iam wrong folks)
In order from left to right.
Norway;
Wild camping is allowed by the law from 1957 in Allemansretten.
However consider this;
1. Stay away at least 150 meters from houses or cottages when occupied/lived in.
2. Dont be on cultivated grounds, so parks, gardens, Farmland. Or ask for permission of the landowner.
2a. Except in winter, as long as the soil is frozen over. from 15 october to 30 april
2b. Dont stay longer as two days, or you need a permit from the landowner. Except the highlands and more desolated areas.
3. Be wise and careful with open fire. It is allowed but from 15 april till 15 september you arent allowed an open fire in a forest or at the border of a forest.
3a. You are not allowed to damage nature by making a fire.
4. Leaving your toilet content is only allowed on the designated spots. Everywhere else is prohibited.

Last but not least. This all is allowed as long as you use respect for nature and your fellow traveller/inhabitants.

I hope you will have a great stay in Norway.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Wild Camping in Finland.

Again the same as in Norway.
Except you aint allowed in national parks to camp with a car or motorbike. Further more or less the same.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Wild Campin in Danmark is prohibited.
However, for the Overlander by bycicle or foot there are areas in Danmark were there are natur campings areas.
Here is wild camping allowed.
See please http://udinaturen.naturstyrelsen.dk/udinaturen/
unfortunally it is in Danish which I cant translate.
I hope a Danish member can shine his or her light on it.

Advocate II

The legislation in Sweden/Denmark differs to the worse....BUT....by using common sence, show sensibility, leaving NO trace behind, it is allways possible to come by.

I have wild camped for years on end in all of Scandinavia with only one singular negative experience. (The only result then; us as a family having breakfast on a different location.)

Rule of thumb;

"out of sight - out of mind"

Mantra we live by wherever we go, whenever we can.

It's all about trust - given and respected.

Here is a ordinary resting place on a side road with a little pond to enjoy in the summer. Not out of sight, but very easy to use. Picture taken today.

J I T "Just In Time"
1992 California Syncro Seikel
1991 T4 Transporter TB Turbo

Last edited:

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

...by using common sence, show sensibility, leaving NO trace behind, it is allways possible to come by.
sounds good. it goes without saying to show respect to nature and other individuals. I'm really looking forward to our wild camping days in norway in early august ..

that doesn't sound that good however. do I really need to 'hide' not to attract any attention of bypassers?

Advocate II

sounds good. it goes without saying to show respect to nature and other individuals. I'm really looking forward to our wild camping days in norway in early august ..

that doesn't sound that good however. do I really need to 'hide' not to attract any attention of bypassers?
Rule of thumb;

Mantra we live by wherever we go, whenever we can.

Example; you do not know if it is private ground or not in, say Sweden....but the spot is sweet....by going behind a tree group not seen from the acces road you also are considerate on behalf on all parties....yourself included...

Wherever and whenever possible. Our choice and not more than a well intended general advice. [emoji3]

You will have a great vacation, rest assured[emoji106]

J I T "Just In Time"
1992 California Syncro Seikel
1991 T4 Transporter TB Turbo

Reactions: Yngve and Christian

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

Example; you do not know if it is private ground or not in, say Sweden....but the spot is sweet....by going behind a tree group not seen from the acces road you also are considerate on behalf on all parties....yourself included...
ah, ok, got ya. if I don't see a private sign at the access, but am in doubt. hope it's not that rainy in early august. to go as far from the road as possible, without damaging anything ..

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

@thorstein and @Joey83, you both should put your thoughts and experiences as locals here. as I was looking for reliable information about the right to roam and got in contact with you both, your insider input helped a lot. let's share it with others..
I have no experience in overlanding as I never attempted it, I always focused on getting to my destination as quickly as I could.

By using common sense I belive you will be fine.

Sent from my Samsung S7 using the OB app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christian

Tasgeir

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ålgård, Norway
Member #

One thing to add in here, Norwegian law on offroading is strict. The wording in the law is something along the lines of you are only allowed to use roads that "normal" cars can use, not listing what a normal car is.
But my interpretation on that as long as the road dont have a private sign, closed gate and you can drive it with out using 4low it is good to go. But I am sure other Norwegian members dont agree on that ;)

Advocate II

IMG_9551.JPG
One thing to add in here, Norwegian law on offroading is strict. The wording in the law is something along the lines of you are only allowed to use roads that "normal" cars can use, not listing what a normal car is.
But my interpretation on that as long as the road dont have a private sign, closed gate and you can drive it with out using 4low it is good to go. But I am sure other NIMG_9551.JPG orwegian members dont agree on that ;)
Going off beaten track is of no bad experience to me.....BUT....I only choose terrain where there is no signs, wheel tracks etc, left behind. I mean .....if there is no imprint at all of me "borrowing" this piece of of mother earth for one night, there is no concern in my mind. We allways leave spots more tidy than when we came, so by that we can mantain our good reputation. Picture from yesterday night....wildcamping....night time but still not dark

Last edited:
Reactions: Yngve and SLO Rob

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

But my interpretation on that as long as the road dont have a private sign, closed gate and you can drive it with out using 4low it is good to go. But I am sure other Norwegian members dont agree on that ;)
hence we're just overlanding :-)

Advocate II

IMG_2420.JPG But this front page from yesterday on the other hand will also affect the purist wildcamper negatively......I am so sad for this quite new development in Norway...

Roughly translated....main headline states that Norwegian nature gems is flooded with litter...hence suggestion for tourist tax ....if only people could bee open for education

Reactions: Yngve

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

View attachment 30137 But this front page from yesterday on the other hand will also affect the purist wildcamper negatively......I am so sad for this quite new development in Norway...

Roughly translated....main headline states that Norwegian nature gems is flooded with litter...hence suggestion for tourist tax ....if only people could bee open for education
would you mind translating? would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Advocate II

I did.....one other thing speaking of translating.

The one reason why I have avoided to translate paragraps or legislation in Norway is....and hold on to your hats....motor vehicles was not taken into account when our regulations and liberties was developed. In other words......we benefit from a regime originally intended for the walkers .

I look upon this that we are sort of a "grey area" in a positive way....thats why I state "Trust given and repected" and I sure as H..... want to keep the very liberal openings we so much love on our shores...

Sweden, Denmark, Finland is all stricter ....but we still come by with exactly the same manners of behaviour....tidy and proper.

Four days ago....wild camping ....

https://www.facebook.com/lifevwbus/posts/1645106972174443:0

would you mind translating? would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

'leave it tidier than you found it'

and go along with the general allemansretten roules. of course.

hope we're good to go with that. landing in kristiansand on august 2nd.

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

as we're heading north tomorrow morning, can ANYONE tell me please how road tolls for the tourist routes in norway, such as panoramavegen, jotunheimvegen etc. are being paid at the gates?