Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

@Boostpowered - you are correct, it does seem to be that way. Heck, even in the Jeep community if you dont enjoy the slow go rock crawling highly technical stuff then you are all but shunned. Im into the scenic stuff. I get very little joy following 6 rigs crawl 3 miles in 6 hours. Ive done it, because well, "Dirt Everyday", haha. So, its not just make v make, its sometimes model v model (i.e. jeep TJ vs Jeep JK vs Jeep JL, etc). Get out, enjoy your time, "you do you" kind of thing.
wow diddnt know yall had self hate. I like the tough stuff but if someone wanted to wheel id definately pick a easier route to make them more comfortable then ask them if they wanted to step it up some.

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

I have a Tundra and most of my off roading is with the Tundra group, my friend has a Raptor and sometimes comes with us, he usually get some ribbing but it is good natured. I also do some with the OB group which is a mixed bag of vehicles. But that being said from driving a Tundra, If the Tundra in front of me can make it I should be able to make it. If there is a jeep in front of me, I might be too wide for the trail and my wheel base may be too long for obstacle etc.

Reactions: JCraig

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It's mostly about compatibility like has been said.
You won't find yourself too welcome among adventure bikes because you won't be able to go where they go. The same (or similar) can be said about various makes and models.

It sounds like you are being a bit too defensive... be happy with what you are driving, or switch it up if you aren't.

Racism? Really?

Wow.
I do wheel alone hence this post talking about how im a outsider, i can and do go where adventure bikes go, i frequently use their websites to find new trails. Vehicular racism yes because i cant think of another word for what it is. My truck has pinstripes on the sides because i make it fit

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It kind of makes my point when im told to trade in my rig for something more poular just to get someone to wheel with me. Do you not see the problem?

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

No.

I've wheeled with all makes and models....
But if someone wants to wheel with a similarly capable vehicle (perceived or otherwise) that's their prerogative.

Join a club if you are lonely. That's what I did when first getting into the hobby.

Don't blame others for your lack of companionship.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

No.

I've wheeled with all makes and models....
But if someone wants to wheel with a similarly capable vehicle (perceived or otherwise) that's their prerogative.

Join a club if you are lonely. That's what I did when first getting into the hobby.

Don't blame others for your lack of companionship.
This is the club ive joined. Your mindset seems to be the exact problem im describing

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have been a long time Jeeper (and now own a Land Cruiser too) and never have warmed up to the 'Jeep Club' mentality. It is something I simply have not and still do not understand. A few days ago a well built Jeep stopped to chat while I was gassing up at a filling station. We quizzed each other about our builds and had a nice chat. But when I declined an invitation to join a particular Jeep Club, you would have thought I insulted the guys wife.

Locally we have an group that is comprised of every kind of rig. Land Cruisers, Wranglers, Discoverys, Suburbans, Subarus, Nissans, a few Colorados and yes, even several Fords. Heck one guy has a lifted Civic. The group dynamic is strong and the good-natured ribbing is well received. Light hearted groups of people are out there who just want to share the same passion, you just have to find them.

Some of my best friendships have formed simply because we both have a passion for adventure and 4wd vehicles.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
To each their own. I am in an FJ Group, a Toyota group, and several we do not care what you drive as long as it is capable for the trail du jour. If people make it a thing or have an issue well that is their issue. I could care less and have no need to convince them otherwise. Their loss.

My two cents which are generally worthless.

Reactions: mk-Zero

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This is a funny thread.

Don't you all know you need to stick with your kind?

What would I do if I was driving my Jeep in a group of Toyota's and I got stuck. Imagine the shame. I would end up plastered on the front of every Toyota magazine and be shunned from the Jeep community.

Ok.....wait.....I don't have a Jeep any more.......

What would I do if I was driving my Toyota in a group of Jeeps and I got stuck. Imagine the shame. I would end up plastered on the front of every Jeep magazine and be shunned from the Toyota community.

There that makes more sense.
In my off road club we had Jeeps and Toyota's. Ive owned both and a Scout and a Bronco and a Blazer. We would take pictures of the Jeeps pulling Toyota and Toyota's pulling Jeeps. Everyone made fun of the scouts until they pulled everyone out.
I've been called a Jeep fan boy and a Toyota fan boy. I wish people would make up their minds.
The "snobs" wont be in the hobby long. They will sell their fully modded Jeep and move to the next fad in a few years. I'll still be here.

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

The clique mindset is an automotive thing, not an offroad thing. Years ago I caught a lot of flak when I had a Cobra and all my friends had evos, stis, and srt4s. It didn't matter how much faster my et was than theirs, I drove a Ford so naturally I was the odd man out. As years passed and I got more into offroading I've owned a couple of 79 Broncos and my old trusty F250, and my current group of friends have a couple of Jeeps and a Taco.
My point being, if you don't want to hangout with the same crowd then don't. Be prepared to become the butt of some jokes though, even if your rig can demolish theirs. No doubt there are some serious db's in every automotive circle, and they tend to be the most outspoken which unfortunately gives the entire group a bad image. Get past that though and the vast majority of auto enthusiasts will welcome all comers. Getting out there and meeting the people you want to ride with is all on you though.

Reactions: smritte

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The clique mindset is an automotive thing, not an offroad thing. Years ago I caught a lot of flak when I had a Cobra and all my friends had evos, stis, and srt4s. It didn't matter how much faster my et was than theirs, I drove a Ford so naturally I was the odd man out. As years passed and I got more into offroading I've owned a couple of 79 Broncos and my old trusty F250, and my current group of friends have a couple of Jeeps and a Taco.
My point being, if you don't want to hangout with the same crowd then don't. Be prepared to become the butt of some jokes though, even if your rig can demolish theirs. No doubt there are some serious db's in every automotive circle, and they tend to be the most outspoken which unfortunately gives the entire group a bad image. Get past that though and the vast majority of auto enthusiasts will welcome all comers. Getting out there and meeting the people you want to ride with is all on you though.
Im sure there are some ok folks hiding somewhere, but unfortunately the only time anyone even wants to talk to me is filling up at the gas station and usually thats someone alerting me that im putting diesel in my colorado and i shouldnt do that then i have to point out that its a diesel and i have a green gas cap nex to a blue def cap, ive had a few ask what it is im putting in the def tank and finally the odd 60 year old lady come up to me asking about the snorkel. That last one really suprises me because it happens alot and they are super interested.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Why, because society, that's why. Have you met today?
I have only had one common rig on all of my adventures. Only one. and it is nearly identical. This has also been due to the people I surround myself with and how much I care about what others say or think (read zero). I also stopped doing car shows and parking lot meet and greets. These events typically attract those that I want no part of....attention seekers or those unfamiliar with dirt.
Now, I just go and do what I want, and let a very select group of people know where I am going.
So, to ask a question in return......Why is it, that you let it bother you?

Reactions: Winterpeg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Why, because society, that's why. Have you met today?
I have only had one common rig on all of my adventures. Only one. and it is nearly identical. This has also been due to the people I surround myself with and how much I care about what others say or think (read zero). I also stopped doing car shows and parking lot meet and greets. These events typically attract those that I want no part of....attention seekers or those unfamiliar with dirt.
Now, I just go and do what I want, and let a very select group of people know where I am going.
So, to ask a question in return......Why is it, that you let it bother you?
Maybe it bothers me because i spend all day working by myself with the only thing to talk to is livestock and plants, my wife is gone from 6am to 8pm and asleep by 9:30 so i dont get much social interaction and id like to, but i dont go to bars or wherever the hell people meet other people. I guess its easy to be like that when your surrounded by people all the time but i dont have the luxury of friendship. On the weekends i like to have fun. are you faulting me for wanting friends or wanting to share the trails i go on?

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
are you faulting me for wanting friends or wanting to share the trails i go on?
Not at all.
Create an event, (not a pavement M&G) local if you will, or on another platform (FB).
Those that show may surprise you.
Those that show are not part of a cliche club.
Those that show have gone out of their way to meet like minded persons.

Don't be offended if people don't show, most prefer to be outdoors alone...kinda the jist of it.

Less is More.....in nearly everything in life.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Not at all.
Create an event, (not a pavement M&G) local if you will, or on another platform (FB).
Those that show may surprise you.
Those that show are not part of a cliche club.
Those that show have gone out of their way to meet like minded persons.

Don't be offended if people don't show, most prefer to be outdoors alone...kinda the jist of it.

Less is More.....in nearly everything in life.
Well that aint gonna happen only thing i do on the internet is this site and buying truck, tractor, and gun parts. Dont do facebook or insert whatever social media.

I guess its not in the cards for me for human friends, atleast my barn cats like to try and help when i work on stuff even though they dont speak english.

• Haha
Reactions: Laud

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

Well that aint gonna happen only thing i do on the internet is this site and buying truck, tractor, and gun parts. Dont do facebook or insert whatever social media.

I guess its not in the cards for me for human friends, atleast my barn cats like to try and help when i work on stuff even though they dont speak english.
Have you tried some of the Colorado forums/groups? There’s a couple online and on Facebook. I’m sure there’s some Texas folks there. There’s also a ZR2 forum and Facebook page, which are the only places I’ve seen another ZR2, lol.

I hear you, though. I’m new to this and haven’t met others at all. Part of it is my own reluctance to join a club. That, and being kind of a liberal redneck make me about as popular as a unicorn.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Another Jeep guy that doesn't really hang out with many other Jeep owners. I even went to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari and spent the week running trails with a bunch of full size rigs!

IMG_20190417_163020.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
This has literally shown up in every enthusiast group I have been part of. I guess Im used to it so it doesnt bother me so much anymore.
Honestly though, at the end of the day people who wont let you hang out because you dont have the same or right XYZ are the type of people I tend to not like spending time with.

Reactions: RDC