Why does every winch bumper for new trucks look like optimus prime's helmet?

• HTML tutorial

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Because hydro-forming costs a metric shit ton of money, and every chucklehead in the world can find something to weld with?

I agree with you though, and irrespective of function I find most of the aftermarket bumpers to be tragically ugly.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Because hydro-forming costs a metric shit ton of money, and every chucklehead in the world can find something to weld with?

I agree with you though, and irrespective of function I find most of the aftermarket bumpers to be tragically ugly.
I would tend to agree with you, but you would think ARB could do it since they make them for lesser models. There are millions of modified F150s out there.

Reactions: MOAK and bgenlvtex

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I have been shopping for a winch bumper that looks like this, for our 2015 F150 crew....

But all I can find is crap that looks like this....

Anyone know of anything like the ARB for a 2015 F150 or am I having to have it custom built?
This thread is so true! Even some of ARB's new stuff looks a little plump in size as compared to their old products.
I wish you could still find the look of the LC ARB style bumpers for all new vehicles.

Even this looks a little much as compared to.....

... to this!

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with bumper regulations now but there has to be a way to trip it down.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
So I always wanted the ARB but just can't justify the money. So, I bought a Westin brush guard and built my own bumper. Love it. I'll make some changes later but it works great for me.
Zim
DSC05395.JPG

Reactions: Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Look at hammerheadarmor.com American made, Plus I know the People in charge over There

View attachment 246181
Leaning toward Hammerhead myself when I get around to bumpers and a winch. I like the look of the ARB bumper but they don't put recovery points on it and they don't make a rear bumper for my RAM.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

It took me forever to find a bumper that wasn’t so bulky and eventually found a RPG one. The CX is terrible but I am very happy with the bumper.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Buckstop Bumpers made in Oregon, not a budget bumper by any means, but super well built and will stand up to a large animal strike. They only make this version for the 2015 F150, but they do offer a few options and can finish in a bunch of different colors. We have their Outback bumper which has a beefier grill guard on our Ram and they color matched the bumper to the factory trim color, and did an aluminum powder coat finish for the grill guard. We had the front receiver deleted and added in the two outer fog light holes (comes with just the 6 inch driving light holes stock) Love that the winch is fully hidden under a removable hatch so sunlight does not get to the synthetic line. As we live close by in Washington we had them supply the winch and lights and we drove down and they did the install in a couple of hours rather than shipping it.

1670442480917.pngRam.jpg

Reactions: Sylvester

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Part of it is that winch bumpers and eco boosts don’t work, add in adaptive cruise and you’ve removed a huge chunk of F150s in the market.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would tend to agree with you, but you would think ARB could do it since they make them for lesser models. There are millions of modified F150s out there.
Lesser models than a 150? Don’t get me wrong, as I am a lifetime Ford pickup guy, but in the world wide market the 150 is scraping the bottom of the barrel and ARB is interested in maintaining a world market share.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
You’re probably already aware but you’ll need to relocate your intercooler to mount a winch. Eventually I’d like to do that and mount a winch but with a more Baja’ish style bumper to give more approach angle especially at the tires.