Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

Not sure if this thread has been made already, but im just curious what maybe got you into overlanding in the first place and what keeps you out there?

For myself, its simply a break from the modern day. A break for the negativity, a break from social media, a break from bills and schedules. It gets me back to the true reality of life. No scrolling instagram, no facebook, no tiktok, heck i dont even take a lot of pictures when im out there cause then i end up worrying about how good the picture looks. Maybe one with the gf and a really good scenic pic and thats about it. It keeps me in touch with nature and i feel like i can breathe. I grew up camping, hiking, hunting and being raised with a love and respect for wildlife and the outdoors made getting into overlanding very natural. I've never been into rock crawling or any of that type of off roading, its always been some washed out forest service roads and simple dirt roads up and around the mountains and desert. I hope that my future children will have a love and respect for the outdoors and i will teach them that some of the most pure moments in life are spent off grid with no social media connection to the world.

Reactions: North40overland

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Honestly? I don't particularly like people. Campgrounds are full of them so I want to be somewhere else. Somewhere quiet with solitude. Probably why I never go to the popular overlanding spots and always take the road less traveled.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Certainly varies but I believe that certain people are born with the innate desire to explore, to be one of the people that drives by a dirt road and wonders "where does that go?" instead of just driving by. For me it has always been the exploration and, sometimes, personal challenge to see if I can make it there and back. The camaraderie on the road is icing on the cake.

And then again, it is another reason to buy new and exciting gear!

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I overland to be with people I like, get away from people I don’t. Test myself. Teach my son. Connect with my wife and find some of the most beautiful place on earth to share.

But mostly it is just for the food and to justify buying a bunch of cool toys to play with.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
To take my family on an adventure (and use mods and gear for the fun of it).

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Curiosity - what's the other side of that mountain? ...who lives across that river? ...what music do they play? ...what kinds of food could we find which are different? ...are there traditional textiles/weaving?

It's all about learning about the world.