Why Did You Become a Member of Overland Bound?

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

First off, @Jeepsies THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice.

I've been a long time lurker, I think the first time here the member numbers were in the 400's. And have been checking in, off and on since. Just recently My wife and I did two meet up's or what ever they are called and had a great time and meet some really great people. We plan to do some more when they come up.

We will be joining at some point in the near future. All my free time is used building an off road teardrop camper. Once that is done maybe I'll have more time to spend on the forum.

Todd

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

First off, @Jeepsies THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice.

I've been a long time lurker, I think the first time here the member numbers were in the 400's. And have been checking in, off and on since. Just recently My wife and I did two meet up's or what ever they are called and had a great time and meet some really great people. We plan to do some more when they come up.

We will be joining at some point in the near future. All my free time is used building an off road teardrop camper. Once that is done maybe I'll have more time to spend on the forum.

Todd
Hey I appreciate that Todd. Would love to see photos of your build on the trailer. Do you have a thread up? We travel fulltime but we try and make as many meetups as we can. Maybe we'll connect someday.

Eric

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Would love to see photos of your build on the trailer. Do you have a thread up?
It's so sweet. @Todd & Meg showed me some photos during the Southern Arizona Overlanders meetup and the craftmanship is top notch. Definitely consider putting a build thread up at some point, Todd!

Reactions: Hourless Life

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

It's so sweet. @Todd & Meg showed me some photos during the Southern Arizona Overlanders meetup and the craftmanship is top notch. Definitely consider putting a build thread up at some point, Todd!
Thanks, I can start a build thread here once I get some time, I have a big push going to try to get in a trip or two in the next month or so. We'll see how it goes. We are looking forward to getting a few nights in it. Then we'll finish up the galley.

Todd

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Adventure is necessary. All the core principals.

I'm a recent transplant and find the desert just calls to you. After spending the summer camping and hiking in the mountains I realized there is an entire world out that that's just too far to walk to. I purchased an FJ Cruiser to explore the area around Las Vegas.

I started looking at information on how to do it and came across this group. I was hooked with the call to adventure and some of the knowledge here. My goal is to spend some time with some folks who know their way around and help me reach the goal of wandering the wild places. I hope to learn enough to help others do the same.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I lurked with no account for quite a while before I actually signed up for the forums and then became a member. At the time, the main reason for me becoming a member was because i had found enough value in the posts i was reading that i wanted to kick a little back to the site. I was encouraged by @Michael on Instagram to post an intro on the forums, so i put up a "hi, i'm me" thread and was welcomed so warmly by members that i just naturally became a more active poster.

Now the thing I love the most about being a member is the community feel and the camaraderie. I love meeting OB members, and especially love showing OB members from out of the area parts of my home state that we love to explore. Whenever I find out somebody is going to be in AZ from, especially from far away, i do everything i can to give them advice, information, routes and sometimes will even join up with them and lead them around some lesser traveled areas.

As with most clubs and communities, it's often the situation that the more you put into it, the more you get out, and that's absolutely been my experience here as well. I try to be as helpful as I can for people, and in turn, I get so much help, support, routes, trip invites, etc, that come right back to me. It's wonderful. This community has connected me with so many awesome people.

** jumping in here ** I've had the great fortune in fall, 2017 to have crossed paths, via this platform - sadly not face to face, with Brien. My wife and I were planning a trip out to southern AZ pre Christmas on our way out to the LA area. Then a swing back into northern AZ in early January. Brien offered suggestions, relayed accurate and timely info back when I had questions (after doing my end of the "homework" researching several routes he tipped me onto),

I'd nominate him for "Team Member of the Year" if such an award were available within the community.

I've regularly followed Brien's posts and responses. He has helped and advised not only me but many others coming into AZ for their first trips and he also organizes and hosts meetups in the Tucson area. Brien is truly a committed member for and to this group of folk.

Kudos to Brien!! I'm a fan my friend...

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Some carnt aford to travel the world and explore , The internet changed that all of a sudden we could watch and communicate world wide with people of all nationalities .
As the web grew and became more affordable the www opened Up A whole New phenomenon. Websites , web pages , on line clubs , the chance like never before to mix and communicate with people with like minded interests swap ideas and opinions
Why did i join PEOPLE all though i like solitude and open spaces i enjoy communicating with PEOPLE From other country's .
I will never probably vistit outer mongolia but people on here do and tell through this medium their experience and through the camera In its newest forms show us places and experiences we would never have seen unless on some doctored tv documentry
Ther is something raw and facinating about ordinary people exploring places that were discoverd a hundred years ago but still the human experience shines thru
Moab , alaska , yellow stone , The old telegraph road , frazier island , all popular but out of reach to many members but i know them through You tube and this site
Call it what you want over landing 4x4 , trailing , laning , what ever Keep posting
No matter how little or how often Share your knowledge , ideas , EXPERIENCE

Reactions: Steve

Mike56

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Maryland
Member #

As Susan and I have gotten older we are looking to restart our Overland travels.
It started with a 1977 VW camper moved to a 1988 Jeep 4 door to a 1990 dodge van. Trucks, jeeps onwards.
Along the way raised 3 great sons. Now we are in the beginning of down sizing, everyone has moved out, started families and living life. We still have the camp in Maine we all go to and still travel as a large or small rotating carnival group.
So the question of why; looking for updated information, equipment plus input from like minded individuals.
This is a great site. Oh... and the cool member emblem and number.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Once I started researching a truck and I started looking at options for mods. Started using the forums to get ideas. 40607981-19E6-4DA2-B267-549BB6C4D2E1.jpgIMG_2786.JPG
This is where we are at with the “mgm”meta green machine aquaponics.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Once I started researching a truck and I started looking at options for mods. Started using the forums to get ideas. View attachment 77421View attachment 77422
This is where we are at with the “mgm”meta green machine aquaponics.
My point excactly were thousands of miles apart but are yards are full of the same stuff
Trucks and junk lol lol

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Kudos to Brien!! I'm a fan my friend...
Thank you so much for the kind words. I have quite a bit of pride in my home state, so I try to jump at any chance to help people explore it!

Reactions: Todd & Meg

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I''ve been a part of many car clubs/car forums and OB is the only place I still feel just as welcome now as I did when I joined a couple years ago.

I'm in for the long run and will try to travel more internationally to meet other awesome OB members in the years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: brien

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

We knew what we would like to do and found out that there is a name for it overlanding.
Had no idea where to go and what to do (it's not that easy here...)
So I searched for a international forum and the basic principles and guidelines were exactly what I was looking for.
Most important to me was no haters, leave it better than you found it and share your knowledge!
I always shared my knowledge with people and found it, at least annoying how many guys behave in some other forums

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

To have access to, gain and share knowledge of getting away from it all; safe and smart. I work in order that I can climb in my Jeep, drive into the woods, and have peace of mind from the simplicity of sleeping in a bag and eating from an single iron skillet. I check in daily for continuance of my motivation, to not forget that whatever challenges, the open outdoors awaits.

Although basically antisocial as a rule, I feel socially accepted and encouraged for being member #14242.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
My reasons mirror many of those already mentioned but I'll tell you why I didn't join OB in the beginning. When it all started I was watching Michael and Corries videos already and later saw that a community was being created that eventually became what it is now. My thoughts in the beginning were to join but then I was thinking what's the point of joining a group based in California that I'll never be able to meet up with? Boy did i screw that up. Oh well. I obviously joined up eventually for much the same reasons as the rest of you. I also like the online community because I'm pretty introverted and not someone that's going to walk up to a bunch of strangers and start talking about camping and vehicles. On here I can join in on conversations and people are always friendly and helpful. I appreciate that and will continue to enjoy the OB community.

Reactions: M Rose and MazeVX

DawgRaider

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick Washington
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morton
Member #

To start out I was just researching and ran across the forums while searching for how to outfit my Overland ride. As I continued reading the forums for a couple of days and saw the family that was being built, I said to myself "I need to join this community and support the efforts by joining as a member." So here I am. I dont post as much as others, due to the amount of time I spend on the computer at work all day, but I really enjoy the helpful family atmosphere this community shows. I hope to chime in on trail trail more this year (The PNW area) and meet a few members in person. Thanks to all.