Why Did You Become a Member of Overland Bound?

• HTML tutorial

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I've been watching Michael's videos on youtube for a few years. Finally joined and purchased membership once the family showed interest in camping.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Jeepsies, I think it was you guys who first introduced me to this forum several years ago when I was researching living in a RV full time. I started fallowing your blog (wanderlust) and as I followed you guys on your adventures, builds, and gear reviews, I wanted to see what this “Overlanding” thing was. Back in the 90’s I read about Overlanding through exotic places like Dakar, Australia, and Alaska. The rigs were always heavy built pick ups with amazing campers on the back. I remember thinking I would love to do that. Then after reading the founding principles, I realized I have always been an Overlander.
I joined as a non paid member to give back to my community. I got my membership gifted to me even though I was getting ready to buy a paid membership because of my dedication to the community here.

I have been full timing in an RV now for 9 months strait. And a total of 24 months off and on over the past 5 years. Although unlike most full timers, I am unfortunately stuck in my valley due to my children’s education and my medical needs. I am full timing out of necessity.

I have found that there is a stereotype out there about people like me. I am looked down upon in my local community because my disabilities keep me from having a meaningful career, steady permanent housing, and I would rather be in the outdoors alone than any where else. People see me as a stereotypical disabled vet, homeless vagabond, and strangers don’t take the time to look past all of the outside appearances to see me for who I truly am.

This community allows me to be me. You see me for the creative person I truly am. You all see past my disabilities, my short comings, and allow me to express myself while sharing my love for Adventure and teaching others through my experiences.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I had no idea that there was an "overland". The wife and I travel and camp a lot and was wanting a small off road camper. I saw some videos about "overland" campers and started checking that out. I came across the Overland Bound website and started reading the posts. I soon realized that there is a thing called "overland" and that there are many people who are like minded like us and like to get out and enjoy nature with minimal gear. The more I read the different posts, the more I liked what I saw and I joined and became a member. I have been a member for less than a year and have learned a lot and met so many great folks....

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have always liked cars and trucks and also the natural world so its no surprise that I would enjoy what is essentially the melding of the two. But more specifically, I have always had a need for a community. I love talking with and meeting people through shared interests. I was essentially recruited by Sandpoint Steve who is a friend of a friend who is also here, WU7X. I met WU7X through adventure motorcycling which I started because as a young boy I was fascinated by the Dakar Rally. But as life has changed and moved on, the bikes went away, but I still feel the need to get out. So overlanding is a good fit for me, and I really dig this group because of its inclusiveness and the core principles.
Also to add: a small part of my work with the Riverkeeper has been overland-esque. We sometimes load up equipment and go driving down dirt tracks and through remote areas to get data on our local water ways. This is one of my favorite things to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

WhatThaFrig

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Dull
Member #

Always been interested in camping and being outside. When I got my Disco, looked around and discovered OB and was hooked.

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
I’ve been lurking for awhile, and decided that I should really take the plunge. I have liked what I have seen so far and can’t wait to get started on the members only stuff.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

@Jeepsies
... This community allows me to be me. You see me for the creative person I truly am. You all see past my disabilities, my short comings, and allow me to express myself while sharing my love for Adventure and teaching others through my experiences.
And you do that with excellence. (I'm a closet fan-boy of your posts, Slim <which makes me think of James Taylor/Mud Slide Slim><favorite song>. I like what you have to say & the way you say it. Many folks here are that way, it seems. Oh, and I'm a disabled vet, too. I hope you're receiving everything you've got coming to ya.)

I've only been a member for a short while, and was gifted my membership because it's what I wanted for Christmas. I had asked members from other forums I belong to about this place, I joined the forum prior to my OB membership, and kind of knew this place has a bunch of good people. I belong to a guitar forum that's almost freakishly golden. The core folks there should be running the planet (the members are global, just like here). We can be ourselves and we laugh like crazy.

This place reminds me very. much of that place. I like the forum and the OB resources.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Personally I'm a huge fan of Overland Bound and this site. In the short time I've been a member, it has given me the opportunity to meet other like-minded folks on the trails and learn about the lifestyle from those with more experience than I have.

But I'm curious as to what is YOUR favorite thing about being a member of Overland Bound? I want to make sure I'm not missing any of the features of the site and membership.

There are no right or wrong answers, but if you have any thoughts on Overland Bound in general, or how you best use this site, I'd love to hear them.

Eric AKA Jeepsies
to find like minded ppl in my area mostly and to learn do's and dont's of this hobbie

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It was a mistake!!! I thought I was joining Outward Bound...
And you do that with excellence. (I'm a closet fan-boy of your posts, Slim <which makes me think of James Taylor/Mud Slide Slim><favorite song>. I like what you have to say & the way you say it. Many folks here are that way, it seems. Oh, and I'm a disabled vet, too. I hope you're receiving everything you've got coming to ya.)

I've only been a member for a short while, and was gifted my membership because it's what I wanted for Christmas. I had asked members from other forums I belong to about this place, I joined the forum prior to my OB membership, and kind of knew this place has a bunch of good people. I belong to a guitar forum that's almost freakishly golden. The core folks there should be running the planet (the members are global, just like here). We can be ourselves and we laugh like crazy.

This place reminds me very. much of that place. I like the forum and the OB resources.
Thank you. I am lost for words.

The VA is doing the best they can for me. This year is probably going to be the hardest year for me yet when it comes to the VA. My team has finally realized what I had been trying to tell them for the past 7 years.

I hope OB can be a place for you for the years to come.

ElGuapoJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

PA
First Name
Michael
I have been feeling kind of caged lately and itching to get outside and do some camping/exploring. I am an active member on another forum that has more to do with Jeeps which I like but I really want to engage in conversation with like-minded people about overlanding and to learn about how and what other people are doing.

Reactions: TerryD

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have been feeling kind of caged lately and itching to get outside and do some camping/exploring. I am an active member on another forum that has more to do with Jeeps which I like but I really want to engage in conversation with like-minded people about overlanding and to learn about how and what other people are doing.
It’s great to have forums directly related to the rigs we drive, but also nice to have forums like OB where the focus is the destination not so much how we get there.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Indeed I did.
My wallet is going to hate me haha!

Now I just to find friends in my area that do this.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I joined as a non payer (going to change very soon!), because the other place is crazy elitist! Overland bound is everything that "the other place" is not. I got a time out over there because one of the moderators and I had a discussion for his elitist views on bicycles. Their reasoning was I said something political. Which I never. So after they did that to me I said, meh. I want somewhere where i can go and people can use what they have and enjoy the outdoors without HAVING to have a 10k bike, a 40K vehicle etc. This is that place! Thank you all!

Reactions: TerryD and M Rose