Why Did You Become a Member of Overland Bound?

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Personally I'm a huge fan of Overland Bound and this site. In the short time I've been a member, it has given me the opportunity to meet other like-minded folks on the trails and learn about the lifestyle from those with more experience than I have.

But I'm curious as to what is YOUR favorite thing about being a member of Overland Bound? I want to make sure I'm not missing any of the features of the site and membership.

There are no right or wrong answers, but if you have any thoughts on Overland Bound in general, or how you best use this site, I'd love to hear them.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Pretty much the same as you, to meet people with similar interests.

However, along the way, I have found the forums, map and rally point are great tools to learn and assist in meeting these new people. Many members were a huge help planning my trip to Maine this summer with tips on where to eat, great scenic spots and I even ended up having a meetup in Maine while I was there.

Another thing I would like to point out is the wealth of knowledge that is combined in the forums with anything from info about GPS systems, rig setup, mechanical advice to DIY builds.

OB is great people doing what they love and sharing what they know!

35972426_10212008175708959_7866442312992161792_o.jpg

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I lurked with no account for quite a while before I actually signed up for the forums and then became a member. At the time, the main reason for me becoming a member was because i had found enough value in the posts i was reading that i wanted to kick a little back to the site. I was encouraged by @Michael on Instagram to post an intro on the forums, so i put up a "hi, i'm me" thread and was welcomed so warmly by members that i just naturally became a more active poster.

Now the thing I love the most about being a member is the community feel and the camaraderie. I love meeting OB members, and especially love showing OB members from out of the area parts of my home state that we love to explore. Whenever I find out somebody is going to be in AZ from, especially from far away, i do everything i can to give them advice, information, routes and sometimes will even join up with them and lead them around some lesser traveled areas.

As with most clubs and communities, it's often the situation that the more you put into it, the more you get out, and that's absolutely been my experience here as well. I try to be as helpful as I can for people, and in turn, I get so much help, support, routes, trip invites, etc, that come right back to me. It's wonderful. This community has connected me with so many awesome people.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I lurked with no account for quite a while before I actually signed up for the forums and then became a member. At the time, the main reason for me becoming a member was because i had found enough value in the posts i was reading that i wanted to kick a little back to the site. I was encouraged by @Michael on Instagram to post an intro on the forums, so i put up a "hi, i'm me" thread and was welcomed so warmly by members that i just naturally became a more active poster.

Now the thing I love the most about being a member is the community feel and the camaraderie. I love meeting OB members, and especially love showing OB members from out of the area parts of my home state that we love to explore. Whenever I find out somebody is going to be in AZ from, especially from far away, i do everything i can to give them advice, information, routes and sometimes will even join up with them and lead them around some lesser traveled areas.

As with most clubs and communities, it's often the situation that the more you put into it, the more you get out, and that's absolutely been my experience here as well. I try to be as helpful as I can for people, and in turn, I get so much help, support, routes, trip invites, etc, that come right back to me. It's wonderful. This community has connected me with so many awesome people.
WELL SAID!

Reactions: sabjku

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I was a lurker for a bit, I had seen various youtube channels that kind of got me interested in this, as well as seeing how it could mesh with my main hobby, mountainbkiking.

Once I decided I wanted to purchase a vehicle I registered to ask some questions. Got some great advice, and am now settled on a vehicle, I just need to find the right one in particular.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the build threads, technical discussions, and gear reviews/discussions. I also enjoy being able to contribute here and there on general automotive knowledge, or firsthand experiences I had as a Jeep owner for ten+ years.

Also, this gives me something to do when bored at work :)

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I initially joined the Overland Bound forums as a non-paid member when I was looking for information on preparing my Jeep for a trip to Alaska that I wanted to take with my wife. At the time, I was home recovering from surgery and a heart attack, so I was able to spend a lot of time reading on the forum and watching videos. Oddly enough in that first month of reading and watching I never read Michael's core principles. The day that I finally read them is the same day that I purchased a membership.

Since that day I have utilized the Rally Point system to set up meetings with local OB members and gotten to meet a number of incredible people.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Pretty much the same as you, to meet people with similar interests.

However, along the way, I have found the forums, map and rally point are great tools to learn and assist in meeting these new people. Many members were a huge help planning my trip to Maine this summer with tips on where to eat, great scenic spots and I even ended up having a meetup in Maine while I was there.

Another thing I would like to point out is the wealth of knowledge that is combined in the forums with anything from info about GPS systems, rig setup, mechanical advice to DIY builds.

OB is great people doing what they love and sharing what they know!

View attachment 74345
Love that quote "OB is great people doing what they love and sharing what they know!" I may just quote you on this.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

"The more you put into it, the more you get out." So true Brien and I may quote you on this as well. Thank you for being an early friend of mine here on the forums, you are true to your word in extending information and assistance as I've personally been the recipient of it.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We joined because we were fairly new to the offroad aspect of overlanding, and we like their videos. We have learned so much thanks to the folks here. Also connected with local members for trail runs and events.
We have never regretted joining OB.
I haven't regretted it either. I think everyone has something to contribute that is helpful to others. Thanks for the comment Chuck!

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I was a lurker for a bit, I had seen various youtube channels that kind of got me interested in this, as well as seeing how it could mesh with my main hobby, mountainbkiking.

Once I decided I wanted to purchase a vehicle I registered to ask some questions. Got some great advice, and am now settled on a vehicle, I just need to find the right one in particular.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the build threads, technical discussions, and gear reviews/discussions. I also enjoy being able to contribute here and there on general automotive knowledge, or firsthand experiences I had as a Jeep owner for ten+ years.

Also, this gives me something to do when bored at work :)
Haha, I think we all need your job brother. Get paid to hang out on the forums? Sign me up!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I initially joined the Overland Bound forums as a non-paid member when I was looking for information on preparing my Jeep for a trip to Alaska that I wanted to take with my wife. At the time, I was home recovering from surgery and a heart attack, so I was able to spend a lot of time reading on the forum and watching videos. Oddly enough in that first month of reading and watching I never read Michael's core principles. The day that I finally read them is the same day that I purchased a membership.

Since that day I have utilized the Rally Point system to set up meetings with local OB members and gotten to meet a number of incredible people.
Semper Paratus shipmate! Glad you became a member. I wonder how many USCG members there are here?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I joined because there's no ads that slow the site down!:tonguewink:

All joking aside.......and I've said this multiple times in other threads here as well.

I joined after I discovered the definition of "Overlanding", realized it represented everything I stood for and had an interest in, and then I decided to lurk for a bit. Right off the bat the thing that stuck out more than anything else on OB was how awesome the members and contributors are towards each other, vs. almost all other forums that I've ever contributed in, especially in the automotive world. No rudeness, no putting down others rigs and gear, and no real attitude. The people on this site rock!

Everyone treats each other with the utmost respect, which is unfortunately, a rarity in the online world these days. Everyone is so helpful and informative.

I LOVE the community aspect of how OB is set up, and after paying to join and discovering the member map, I've met some AWESOME people, right here in my own neighborhood! We've swapped some great ideas on vehicle builds, equipment, etc. We've done trips together, and have learned a lot from each other, and I definitely look forward to meeting a lot more folks and doing a lot more trips! I'm sure a lot of us will be meeting in just a couple of weeks at Expo!

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I joined because there's no ads that slow the site down!:tonguewink:

All joking aside.......and I've said this multiple times in other threads here as well.

I joined after I discovered the definition of "Overlanding", realized it represented everything I stood for and had an interest in, and then I decided to lurk for a bit. Right off the bat the thing that stuck out more than anything else on OB was how awesome the members and contributors are towards each other, vs. almost all other forums that I've ever contributed in, especially in the automotive world. No rudeness, no putting down others rigs and gear, and no real attitude. The people on this site rock!

Everyone treats each other with the utmost respect, which is unfortunately, a rarity in the online world these days. Everyone is so helpful and informative.

I LOVE the community aspect of how OB is set up, and after paying to join and discovering the member map, I've met some AWESOME people, right here in my own neighborhood! We've swapped some great ideas on vehicle builds, equipment, etc. We've done trips together, and have learned a lot from each other, and I definitely look forward to meeting a lot more folks and doing a lot more trips! I'm sure a lot of us will be meeting in just a couple of weeks at Expo!
Looking forward to the Expo! See you there sabjku!

IMG_20180730_165709_644.jpg

Reactions: Big G and sabjku

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

But I'm curious as to what is YOUR favorite thing about being a member of Overland Bound? I want to make sure I'm not missing any of the features of the site and membership.
I have literally been a member of OB for 24 hours. I researched the forums quite a bit before joining. I have always loved the outdoors.. Fishing, hunting, off roading, backpacking, etc.. I would consider myself a serious backpacker and I often love to get as far out in the middle of nowhere as my body will allow. I also have friends that share that same love that will often go with me. I suffered a pretty rough ankle injury this year and am still recovering which is keeping me from getting far back in the wilderness the way I would like, so I thought why not look into some Jeep trails that would get me off the beaten path and allow me to camp. I started researching and I found OB. Soon after that I purchased a rack for my JK and a RTT and became a member so that I could get ideas for my rig as well as ideas on places to go. This site has far exceeded my expectations thus far. I have already gotten wonderful feedback and everyone I have encountered so far has been great! I can't wait to meet more like minded people, continue to learn, and experience everything else that overlanding and OB has to offer.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I grew up camping like this out in the Mojave Desert & the Serrias. Mom & Dad (I really miss him) bought a new Apache Chief tent trailer the had it set up to where Mom or Dad would pull the old green Colman ice chest out Mom would pack it the day of the trip. Dad would get home from work & we would set the Apache on Dad Volkswagen Beetle & we would go. I miss those days!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I have literally been a member of OB for 24 hours. I researched the forums quite a bit before joining. I have always loved the outdoors.. Fishing, hunting, off roading, backpacking, etc.. I would consider myself a serious backpacker and I often love to get as far out in the middle of nowhere as my body will allow. I also have friends that share that same love that will often go with me. I suffered a pretty rough ankle injury this year and am still recovering which is keeping me from getting far back in the wilderness the way I would like, so I thought why not look into some Jeep trails that would get me off the beaten path and allow me to camp. I started researching and I found OB. Soon after that I purchased a rack for my JK and a RTT and became a member so that I could get ideas for my rig as well as ideas on places to go. This site has far exceeded my expectations thus far. I have already gotten wonderful feedback and everyone I have encountered so far has been great! I can't wait to meet more like minded people, continue to learn, and experience everything else that overlanding and OB has to offer.
That's really interesting. I'm a disabled veteran myself who loves the outdoors which is why I got a Jeep so that I could continue to do things that my body wouldn't take anymore. Thanks for the comment. Glad you made it here to OB jasgwoods.

Eric