Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

There is no perfect vehicle. I love in Colorado. There are absolutely switchback trails I'll never be able to do. Yes it sucks, but I have to weigh other factors. Towing, I overland with a pop up camper. I dont want to go 35 mph up the mountain. In my diesel I can blast up to 12,000 feet like nothing. Gear, I have a picky wife and dog. I bring a decent amount of gear for 2 or 3 week overlanding trips. Try jamming all that in a Jeep. Payload/leaf springs. I love not having to worry about payload. I occasionally have to haul an elk back to Denver. Again, try getting an elk out inside a JK. Not happening. When I go solo I sometimes sleep on the back of the truck, nice having that option. Not saying GM is perfect but my wife has a Jeep WJ and it has had nothing but problems. Even most Jeep mechanics tell us Chrysler vehicles are crap.
I know that many on this forum have a love affair with the Jeep JK/JKU and with the latest 4Runners. I travel every week for work and I get to rent all kinds of vehicles. I have rented several Jeeps or the JK/JKU variety and I hate them. You could not give me one. Last week I rented a 2021 4Runner. While it was OK I found that it was just too small for me. No room in the foot box for my feet. I kept hitting the gas ad the brakes at the same time. The rear deck it too high, power was just OK, not impressive, the list goes on.
Yes, no vehicle is perfect and I think it is important for anyone looking at a new rig to not be swayed by what is popular, but to drive and really look at everything that could work. With new vehicle in the $40K+ range, it is a very expensive mistake, or you are just stuck with a rig that is wrong for you because you can't afford to trade it or sell it.
I love my 2008 Suburban 2500, but it is not the right truck for everyone, it is the right truck for me n my needs.
One thing I love about all full sized rigs is that they are very capable stock. You don't need to upgrade anything to carry a fair amount of weight. The normally come with larger tires stock, heavy frames, etc. They are never perfect, but nothing is.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Was once a hard core GM fan. Both trucks and cars. After swinging wrenches for many years and seeing all makes/models I found more and more that the GM products are just lacking basic reliability. All makes have they're own issues. The manufactures will fix many of the things that pop up as time goes by but GM just seems to ignore these complaints. They will eventually change the model and leave the owners of the previous models stranded with their issues. I have a long list of complaints with GM and it products and won't go into it here but I will say that it will take a major shift in business practices before GM is a consideration for me again.
I know where your coming from but im still with GM even tho I do try others but I always comeback to GM

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

. Not saying GM is perfect but my wife has a Jeep WJ and it has had nothing but problems. Even most Jeep mechanics tell us Chrysler vehicles are crap.[/QUOTE]

yes I work on my WJ more than The Tahoe, and the Tahoe engine already has more miles on it than I expect out of the Jeep's 4.7. But the Tahoe is pre 2008, pre variable valve timing, pre cylinder deactivation. Now any of the three is a red flag for me on anything GM.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Love my 02 2500hd. It just needs a little TLC now and then because she has started to show her age. I can't see myself going with a midsize unless it was a net new rig and not a trade in for my full size. At this point all the modifications I've done to her are worth more than the rig itself. The price of my lift kit, wheels, and tires alone are worth more than the truck lol. Turning radius sucks big time, but I didn't outfit her to be an overland rig at first anyway, was just using what I already had.

Nate1369

Rank III

Member III

Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Peralta
Member #

Love my 02 2500hd. It just needs a little TLC now and then because she has started to show her age. I can't see myself going with a midsize unless it was a net new rig and not a trade in for my full size. At this point all the modifications I've done to her are worth more than the rig itself. The price of my lift kit, wheels, and tires alone are worth more than the truck lol. Turning radius sucks big time, but I didn't outfit her to be an overland rig at first anyway, was just using what I already had.
I have a 03 gmc duramax and i take everywhere she fits lol.. just gotta be mindful of the muds pits, the duramax is nose heavy and likes to sink lol... other then that, no issues at all.. will upgrade to lockers one day but as of now im happy

Nate1369

Rank III

Member III

Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Peralta
Member #

Passing this along. One of several reasons there are so few of these IFS overland rigs is the front CVs are a weak link. Below is a cut sheet from NAPA, which now carries the CV shafts Trakmotive used to offer (briefly). I'm running a pair now in my 2001 Tahoe, and have one less thing to worry about.

View attachment 195727

Other weak links have also been addressed, such as ditching the front torsion bars for Atomic Fabrication coil overs, replacing the front plastic brush guard with a thick diamond plate skid (fabricated), moog heavy duty rear springs and full auto ride delete, and so on.
Still to address- serpentine does not like water of any kind, or the belt squeal from the water pump immediately starts, the horns need to be relocated as water takes them out as well, and dust constantly clogs the air injection system inlet and evap purge valve.
My opinion is GM is catering to the money, which is high optioned driveway queen 4x4s. To make these rigs work day after day in harsh environments it takes work....
I installed a full cognito suspension on my dmax and have perfect cv angles at full lift, and I’ve had zero issues with the ifs suspension... but I don’t treat it like a rock crawler either lol

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I installed a full cognito suspension on my dmax and have perfect cv angles at full lift, and I’ve had zero issues with the ifs suspension... but I don’t treat it like a rock crawler either lol
True, you kinda have to pick and choose the type of trails to take.

Reactions: Nate1369

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

There is no perfect vehicle. I love in Colorado. There are absolutely switchback trails I'll never be able to do. Yes it sucks, but I have to weigh other factors. Towing, I overland with a pop up camper. I dont want to go 35 mph up the mountain. In my diesel I can blast up to 12,000 feet like nothing. Gear, I have a picky wife and dog. I bring a decent amount of gear for 2 or 3 week overlanding trips. Try jamming all that in a Jeep. Payload/leaf springs. I love not having to worry about payload. I occasionally have to haul an elk back to Denver. Again, try getting an elk out inside a JK. Not happening. When I go solo I sometimes sleep on the back of the truck, nice having that option. Not saying GM is perfect but my wife has a Jeep WJ and it has had nothing but problems. Even most Jeep mechanics tell us Chrysler vehicles are crap.
Yep. I have a GMC truck and an old WJ. That WJ has taken a lot of my blood, sweat and tears. But can carry a whole lot less than my Sierra, and is a lot less comfortable, too.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

When i was driving crew cabs and longboxes for wildland firefighting. And came to a switchback I couldn’t turn the truck around to get up. Id usually just back up hill to the next switchback then drive forward up the section after that. Reverse cameras these days make it even easier.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
My old ‘01 duramax diesel 4x4 Silverado hasn’t let me down yet. Even pulling a truckbed trailer from a ‘79 F250 set up as my adventure trailer. Granted, it’s only been a solid month since setting it up. It’s already played in Idaho and Montana. I feel good about the rig going anywhere I’d want to take it. No I won’t be crawling at Moab but I’m planning trips through Oregon, Northern California and Colorado before the Winter sets in. My ‘01 doesn’t even act like it knows the trailer is there. I normally get about 28mpg on the highway. I think I averaged 20mpg this past week. I added a 300lb steel contractor rack and the XL Smitty Overlander, not to mention a relatively full trailer bed of gear to play with while out.

I love my Silverado and plan on wearing it out dragging my trailer/camp rig. I would throw therack and trailer on it in a heartbeat if I didn’t use it as a daily driver and didn’t have the truck bed trailer.

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

My old ‘01 duramax diesel 4x4 Silverado hasn’t let me down yet. Even pulling a truckbed trailer from a ‘79 F250 set up as my adventure trailer. Granted, it’s only been a solid month since setting it up. It’s already played in Idaho and Montana. I feel good about the rig going anywhere I’d want to take it. No I won’t be crawling at Moab but I’m planning trips through Oregon, Northern California and Colorado before the Winter sets in. My ‘01 doesn’t even act like it knows the trailer is there. I normally get about 28mpg on the highway. I think I averaged 20mpg this past week. I added a 300lb steel contractor rack and the XL Smitty Overlander, not to mention a relatively full trailer bed of gear to play with while out.

I love my Silverado and plan on wearing it out dragging my trailer/camp rig. I would throw therack and trailer on it in a heartbeat if I didn’t use it as a daily driver and didn’t have the truck bed trailer.
Sounds like a great build. That’s awesome gas mileage, my 2015 6.0 gas gets like 12 mpg

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Sounds like a great build. That’s awesome gas mileage, my 2015 6.0 gas gets like 12 mpg
ya, I apparently lucked into it when I got it. The 2001 was the last year of the Duramax/C6 tranny combo that did NOT have all the emissions stuff installed. The 2002 mpg went way down, so I’m told.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

My 2003 gets 15.3 city uncorrected (245x75Rx16 vs 285x75R16) currant upgrade. I suspect it is closer to 17.2 mpg, so i am happy, as I once had a 3/4 ton HD 2001, with the 6.0 engine. That vehicle could never do better than 11.0 empty, or with a tailwind on the interstate. 97,400 on the Duramax with some issues. A new set of injectors under warranty (32,000) and recently a $$$$ CP3 replacement. However even with the expense of these issues, I can not replace my truck with anything comparable for less than 70,000-80,000 dollars. Besides, being a 2003 non CA truck, I have no catalytic converter(2004), no EGR valve (2004), No undersized radiator (LLY), no variable vane turbo (issues),stabilitrack, and especially no DEF concerns. Being a Western,desert truck, I also have no rust issues(18 years old). So There is no way I could replace this truck, and not have a lot of future issues to contend with. Something I also didn't mention was the DEF tanks can and will go bad over time. Also all those earlier trucks had the DEF tanks mounted in such a vulnerable place, and even with a skid plate for protection (SOME BETTER THAN OTHERS). I believe those replacement tanks are close to a grand apiece. Something us Silverado Overlanders need to keep in mind.

The only thing I wish my truck had was the upgraded tie-rod ends(2010), which can be upgrades with 'sleeves' and the beefier front diff (2010?) that would give the front better durability with either a L/S or prudent use locker. From doing some research, it is better to wait a bit on a new car/truck purchase, as dealers are upping add on pricing to MSRP, and with depreciation, buyers will be massively upside down, and never recover in future years, the trade-in offer will be crazy low because dealers will try to recover the loan on that upside down truck or car.