Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Single cab long bed, is short enough though.

Single cab short bed, sucks to tow and haul with. A short bed slide in camper? Nope, no way. Do not want, for sure.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

You can always walk into a dealer and order one built to spec you just have to wait for it

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Single cab long bed, is short enough though.

Single cab short bed, sucks to tow and haul with. A short bed slide in camper? Nope, no way. Do not want, for sure.
Oh, sure. I agree a short bed is no good for a slide in. Then again, a half ton isnt really good enough for a slide in anyway. Really those single cab short beds are very good for residential and commercial plowing. Short and stubby enough to make smaller turns and not get slowed down quite as much as you clear out spaces between fows of cars and such.

They may not be great for overlanding, but I sure enjoyed mine while I had it. It was a 90 or 91 K1500 Chevy Cheyenne with a 3 speed manual transmission on the floor, another shifter for 4x4, crank windows, slider rear window, bench seat. I think the only option in it was tilt wheel. Had to put in an aftermarket radio as it didnt even come with that.

Loved that truck

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hilarious! I've never seen one in person.
Flightline/ airport use. Notice the 10 lug wheels/F-450 drive-train. A specialized rig for sure. Used I believe in place of specialized 'tug'(plane movers) in light duty applications. At one time I was involved with airport overnight delivery operations, and we used a open seat tug for moving DC-9 aircraft. Very heavy steel construction for traction issues (super low geared). Later when we had Boeing 767's make periodic stops at the airport, we had to borrow a big-boy tug, capable of pushing a DC 10 aircraft or bigger.

Reactions: Sparksalot

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Ours is only a 2wd, half-ton truck, but I've had some friends blow up G80's and my partner has a heavy foot so its on the list to get replaced with a truetrac or a Detroit locker sooner rather than later.
I have a Detroit True Trac in my Nissan Titan 4x4. I highly recommend it!

Just came back from an off-roading trip in Arizona, one trail we went on is a 12 mile long Jeep/ATV "Moderate" trail and pretty much did 75% of it in 2WD. Only needed 4LO to smooth out the climbs steep stuff, I probably could have done most of it in 2WD but the low-range reduces the drama. Keeps the wife happier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
To be honest I'm kind of bummed we can't buy a 2 door, regular cab truck anymore. If we could have I'm pretty sure we'd have a 2020, 4x4 in our driveway right now...
I've been looking at either a F-150 or Nissan Frontier. The availability of off-road stuff is ridiculous.
Yes, you can get a "single cab". But neither truck really offers the GOOD stuff from the factory in single cab.
On the F-150 the "Tremor" caught my eye. Problem is, it is only available in Crew Cab short bed. I would love a Extended Cab 6.5' bed Tremor, but nope.
On the Frontier, I want the "Pro-4X" package. Again, same as Ford, you can only get it as a Crew Cab short bed. IF I really want an Extended Cab Frontier Pro-4X, I need to go to Canada to buy it. And, supposedly there'd be no warranty on it. But yeah, it's available in Canada.

We currently have a full size 4x4 Crew Cab short bed. Bought it 13-14 years ago. Served us well, our son is getting old enough we no longer will be needing that big back seat when he moves out. An extended cab would be best, and a 6.5' bed ideal since we sleep in the bed.
Does everyone really want a 4 door truck these days still? I would guess people would start outgrowing them eventually, like we did.

Reactions: MazeVX

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've been looking at either a F-150 or Nissan Frontier. The availability of off-road stuff is ridiculous.
Yes, you can get a "single cab". But neither truck really offers the GOOD stuff from the factory in single cab.
On the F-150 the "Tremor" caught my eye. Problem is, it is only available in Crew Cab short bed. I would love a Extended Cab 6.5' bed Tremor, but nope.
On the Frontier, I want the "Pro-4X" package. Again, same as Ford, you can only get it as a Crew Cab short bed. IF I really want an Extended Cab Frontier Pro-4X, I need to go to Canada to buy it. And, supposedly there'd be no warranty on it. But yeah, it's available in Canada.

We currently have a full size 4x4 Crew Cab short bed. Bought it 13-14 years ago. Served us well, our son is getting old enough we no longer will be needing that big back seat when he moves out. An extended cab would be best, and a 6.5' bed ideal since we sleep in the bed.
Does everyone really want a 4 door truck these days still? I would guess people would start outgrowing them eventually, like we did.
I have a 14 GMC "double" cab a/k/a extended cab. People sometimes marvel at how big the truck is, UNTIL they get in the back seat. A mid size sedan seems to have more leg room.

So, as much as I can romanticize the idea of a regular cab, I sure am glad I have the extended, and sometimes wish I had a crew. FWIW

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

The F250/350 Tremor aren't anything too crazy. You can order the extra cab, Fx4, short bed, with black wheels. Then add 35" tires and a front locker yourself.

Although, I'd reconsider. The CC short bed is the perfect overlanding wheelbase for that type of truck. The extra cab room is priceless. I've even slept in mine. I'd also recommend a lower trim package. The new Ford Vinyl seats and Rubber floors are better suited to overlanding. I try to stay under XLT.

I've been asking Ford for an XL trim 5.0 Raptor with Fx4 for years. No stickers, no turbos, no leather, no carpet. Just good engine, e locker, wide fenders, Raptor wheels, tires, and running boards. I think it doesn't exist, because it would be way too close to the Raptors cost. Those fenders are expensive, the leather and doodads only costs them $0.75 extra.

Last edited:

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
The F250/350 Tremor aren't anything too crazy. You can order the extra cab, Fx4, short bed, with black wheels. Then add 35" tires and a front locker yourself.

Although, I'd reconsider. The CC short bed is the perfect overlanding wheelbase for that type of truck. The extra cab room is priceless. I've even slept in mine. I'd also recommend a lower trim package. The new Ford Vinyl seats and Rubber floors are better suited to overlanding. I try to stay under XLT.

I've been asking Ford for an XL trim 5.0 Raptor with Fx4 for years. No stickers, no turbos, no leather, no carpet. Just good engine, e locker, wide fenders, Raptor wheels, tires, and running boards. I think it doesn't exist, because it would be way too close to the Raptors cost. Those fenders are expensive, the leather and doodads only costs them $0.75 extra.
The F250 Tremor is a great option for those who want a big truck that is also capable. The Tremor package for that truck is very configurable.

Unfortunately, for those of us who prefer a moderate sized truck like an F150, the Tremor is locked to only one body style and one engine option.
You can buy a base F150 in multiple styles with 5-6 engine choices. But, if you want a Tremor F150 there's only one choice. Such a weird marketing move from Ford. I guess it's like Taco Bell killing off the Mexican Pizza or Popeyes killing off the Cajun Rice...less choices=more profit.

I would LOVE a "base" style vehicle with the higher level running gear options. I don't want leather, sunroof, seat massagers, self-driving aids, fancy paint, chrome, etc. I DO want a rear locker and an AWD/4H/4L system like the Raptor/Tremor has.
I don't see what is the problem at Ford? The Tremor package could easily be applied to any cab/bed config, it's not like any of the Tremor running gear can't fit into any chassis! I mean, MAYBE the rear door panels and the bed stickers would be different? But the running gear and everything else would fit in a standard cab, extended cab, crew cab, short bed, long bed...it doesn't matter.

I can't see how you sleep in your CC! Ours is 62" wide from door panel to door panel. My son is currently 63" tall, meaning he can with a slight bend of the knee.
In our 13+ years of owning our truck, over time we tinkered with how to overland/camp in it. We tried many options over those years and ended up liking sleeping in the back of the bed (even though it's only 67", 4" shorter than myself) the most of all. We ended up adding Detroit True Trac, Bilstein 5100's, KO2 tires, skid plates, and a LEER cap. This journey with our current truck has lead us to really know how we would want our next truck from the factory. Unfortunately, not offered by anyone anymore! The CC has come in handy a few times, but once our son moves on an extended cab would be more than suitable.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'll bet it's a safety or liability cost issue. The extra height of the truck made them thoroughly test it in the most popular configuration only.

Lifting all of the trucks might upset the safety engineers.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB

My partner is hella tall, so half ton fullsizes are pretty much the smallest we can go. TBH a lot of the reasons yall have laid out in here so far are why we're going to be keeping our standard cab/shortbed truck for as long as we can, I just wish it was possible to get higher performance out of the front suspension without doing a full long-travel, prerunner type setup on it. The availability for performance off-road stuff for the NBS GM trucks is sad...

Wheel base is such a huge factor in off-roading, the shorter wheel base on ours has let it get all kinds of places that longer/taller trucks have had issues, but the trade off is that it doesn't tow as well (we don't tow so not an issue). That said a regular cab long bed kinda looks tempting, but the shorty bed on ours is great. Its a very manageable size on desert trips...

Personally I'd be ok with a 4door truck but I wouldn't be the one driving it and honestly I wouldn't want anything much larger than my JKU.

Now... if I could just talk my partner into a shell of kind...

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My partner is hella tall, so half ton fullsizes are pretty much the smallest we can go. TBH a lot of the reasons yall have laid out in here so far are why we're going to be keeping our standard cab/shortbed truck for as long as we can, I just wish it was possible to get higher performance out of the front suspension without doing a full long-travel, prerunner type setup on it. The availability for performance off-road stuff for the NBS GM trucks is sad...

Wheel base is such a huge factor in off-roading, the shorter wheel base on ours has let it get all kinds of places that longer/taller trucks have had issues, but the trade off is that it doesn't tow as well (we don't tow so not an issue). That said a regular cab long bed kinda looks tempting, but the shorty bed on ours is great. Its a very manageable size on desert trips...

Personally I'd be ok with a 4door truck but I wouldn't be the one driving it and honestly I wouldn't want anything much larger than my JKU.

Now... if I could just talk my partner into a shell of kind...
Well if we are ever on the same trip maybe seeing my big truck do it all will help you decide

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Well if we are ever on the same trip maybe seeing my big truck do it all will help you decide
I've seen yours a couple times, I love it! It tends to be a bit on the larger than I'd like side... My partner would be an easy sell though. We both tend to side more on the low COG desert truck builds however...

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I've seen yours a couple times, I love it! It tends to be a bit on the larger than I'd like side... My partner would be an easy sell though. We both tend to side more on the low COG desert truck builds however...
Oh I know you see it at the meetup but not in the wild hahaha

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I definitely understand the whole wheelbase thing, and it makes me scratch my head at Wrangler 4 doors and Gladiators, or being forced to get a 4 door truck just to get the best off-road kit (Toyota just released a Tacoma lift kit that specifically excludes the long bed 4x4! Toyota Tacoma TRD Lift Kit Maintains Truck's Active Safety Functions ). I know it stems from people over-extending themselves on a truck/Jeep purchase and they need a vehicle that wears many hats.

However, I was shocked at how well my relatively long-wheelbase big 4 door truck did in some serious off-road stuff. I have pretty funny dash cam video of me saying several times "ain't gonna make it" or "definitely going to drag frame" or "looks like a Jeep only obstacle" only to prove myself wrong going over each and every obstacle easily with no issues at all, and no frame dragging.
Honestly, I thought I'd break my truck or get stuck, but it didn't happen. I don't think I'd have the cajones to really push a proper 2 door Jeep as hard as it can go as I scared myself and surprised myself plenty with a long wheelbase truck!

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I definitely understand the whole wheelbase thing, and it makes me scratch my head at Wrangler 4 doors and Gladiators, or being forced to get a 4 door truck just to get the best off-road kit (Toyota just released a Tacoma lift kit that specifically excludes the long bed 4x4! Toyota Tacoma TRD Lift Kit Maintains Truck's Active Safety Functions ). I know it stems from people over-extending themselves on a truck/Jeep purchase and they need a vehicle that wears many hats.

However, I was shocked at how well my relatively long-wheelbase big 4 door truck did in some serious off-road stuff. I have pretty funny dash cam video of me saying several times "ain't gonna make it" or "definitely going to drag frame" or "looks like a Jeep only obstacle" only to prove myself wrong going over each and every obstacle easily with no issues at all, and no frame dragging.
Honestly, I thought I'd break my truck or get stuck, but it didn't happen. I don't think I'd have the cajones to really push a proper 2 door Jeep as hard as it can go as I scared myself and surprised myself plenty with a long wheelbase truck!
That was me over the weekend I went out to the OHV and did some trails at hollister and I made my way to the top with my jeep friends and on the way to the top I got many thumbs up and comments about I got it up there hahaha

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
That was me over the weekend I went out to the OHV and did some trails at hollister and I made my way to the top with my jeep friends and on the way to the top I got many thumbs up and comments about I got it up there hahaha
Yeah! I saw some of those pics, looked awesome. The Full size trucks really do suprisingly well, but as with most things offroad... driver skill is the biggest factor. A fun note, my partner almost got her 2wd truck up there, just the steepness/looseness got the best of her in a couple places so she decided head back... Flash forward to a few months later and she's getting her truck up all kinds of crap on our Death Valley run that was way tougher than getting up to hector heights.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, I'm intrigued, and on the hook. The only splash shield metal replacements I ever found were offered by lift companies with propitiatory replacements that only fit their designed suspension lifts. The inter-cooler area is a major concern if you run in heavy brush areas, and poking a stick in that unprotected area, will cause some serious grief. I have seen a few homemade transmission shields which addressed the external fluid filter, but no real attachment points used for mounting to the frame. AKA, incomplete modification build logs. I once saw a company in Canada, that offered complete undercarriage upgrades in GM vehicles that were fleet or oil field industry aligned, but lost their info in a computer crash years ago. They had skid plate upgrades that rivaled RAM power wagon protection.

If you have some picture's of your work, it would be appreciated by many here who have lamented exactly the lack of love GM has shown, when compared to some of their rivals. During my trucks era, a Z-71 on a HD was not available,.....now they are. During that era, a Z-71 basically had 3 things that were upgraded. They were the 'Jounce Bumper's' (torsion stops), the shocks, and a rear locker. When I had my new 1997 Z-71, these were what was offered as a standard upgrade. In 1999, my new Z-71 (trade up) had the jounce bumpers (poly vs a hard foam bump stop, and the locker. The shocks were no longer Bilstien's (YELLOW), but a lower grade unit (BLUE) offered as standard equipment with that trim level.

On my truck, I did the bump-stop and Bilstien 4800 shock upgrade(Z-71 SPEC). The shocks were a big improvement on hwy driving, and the jounce bumpers helped with slow speed compression of the suspension by not allowing full bottoming out (Duramax engine wt.) , when the foam bumper stops fully compressed. I have been happy with the G-80, and only wished there was a front L/S, or better yet a locker that didn't put such a big question mark on the designed front drive-train durability if installed.
So, I completely forgot about this thread BUT here's a pic of the sort of rough draft of the front skid that's been on my partners GMC for over a year now... at some point I'm going to build it into a better built prerunner sort of front end. We've already used this thing a lot on a few trips, lol. When we rework it, the front angle piece will be removed, and some better brackets/mounts will be put in their place, we'll also be shoehorning a winch in there somehow and doing some tube work to match the lines of the stock chrome bumper.

PXL_20210304_010619951.jpg

I also got started on some rear bump-stop mounts to hold the bigger style of foamie bump-stop that's found on the 'Burbs and Tahoe's of that era. I still have to get these mounts cleaned up, weld in some bolt tabs or something and generally get them more polished, but the concept is there. Its just kind of a bummer that a ton of fab work is required to do almost anything on these trucks.

PXL_20210315_004106867.jpg

Last edited: