Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Finally got my hands on a rooftop tent and got it installed today! Did a couple of practice runs setting up and tearing down - those annex’s are no joke!
Maedge, pardon if I missed it but what type of rack is that? It is a good clean look.

Last edited:

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

I have Geolandar highway tires on my K2 right now and I admit, I have been loving the quiet, comfortable highway ride. But I am looking for something more in the AT range - something like Wrangler Trail Runners or as much as BF Goodrich AT's. Couple more options to think about
IMO, for an all terrain, it is hard to beat the BFG AT KO2's. Let us know what you end up going with.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

IMO, for an all terrain, it is hard to beat the BFG AT KO2's. Let us know what you end up going with.
Yeah, I will. My main concern with the BFG's has been so many people talking about the short treadwear life. Anyway, I've got proper Cooper snow tires on it for now, so it will be spring before I make a decision

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Yeah, I will. My main concern with the BFG's has been so many people talking about the short treadwear life. Anyway, I've got proper Cooper snow tires on it for now, so it will be spring before I make a decision
Not sure if I've mentioned it on this thread but I love the General Grabber ATX's. They're pretty quiet, have plenty of grip, very similar tread pattern to the KO2's but slightly cheaper, also they're ice stud-able if that matters. The factory size set I had on the Tahoe even had a 60k mile warranty. At 22k they were about halfway worn down though, probably because I sometimes "forget" that I'm no longer driving a small hatchback haha.

Reactions: MazeVX

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I was looking into Grabber AT (2?, 3?) but seems like they are a little lacking in 33 inchers?

I'll look into the ATX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

My main concern with the bfg Ko2 is the lack of grip in wet and cooler conditions. The grabber atx already mentioned, both are about the same except cold and wet performance where the atx should be significantly better.
My grabber X3 is actually already "okay" in cold and wet.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My main concern with the bfg Ko2 is the lack of grip in wet and cooler conditions. The grabber atx already mentioned, both are about the same except cold and wet performance where the atx should be significantly better.
My grabber X3 is actually already "okay" in cold and wet.
Thank you, Maze. I appreciate the input. Those Grabber ATX are pretty expensive but if I wont need a separate set of snow tires then it could be worth it. Half an inch deep cleats!

My first truck -a 1991 Chevy truck Cheyenne single cab short bed -had Goodyear Wrangler TD's on it and I liked those but they dont make those anymore.

My 1993 and 1994 Chevy 2 door big Blazer k1500 Silverados both had Michelin LTX. Not really offroad stuff but very very good tires overall so I never deviated from them.

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Not a build thread, but I thought I'd share my Silverado update. Put King 2.5's (EXT models) with resi's and adjusters front and rear, Dirt King UCA's, Deaver J1's in the rear. Truck was previously lowered and this lifted it 6" front and rear. It should clear 35's with some trimming.

Rides night and day differently! Kicking myself for not doing this in 2017 when I bought the truck. Losing the 22" wheels and the 285 tires will help the ride & off road as well. Definitely NOT enough rubber between the road & truck with the 22/285 combo.

I haven't had it off-road much since the upgrade aside from nighttime hooning' down several fire roads and this thing is way more capable of handling speed over terrain than before! I accidentally caught air a little air a few times but the truck is as planted as a tree and tracks amazingly well over the little washboards that would previously wiggle me off the road before. I haven't noticed a single instance of axle-hop in the rear since the upgrade. I will be playing around with the settings on the kings to see how much of a difference the settings make.

Next:
  • tires 35x1250 18's or 17"s. BFG KO2's or similar or may splurge on KM3's.
    • determine if I need to re-gear. The 6.2 L86 is great but I want it working in its comfort zone
  • wheels: the goal is "light and strong" alloy, would like beadlocks but trying to keep the runaway cost train under control. Current favorites are: Method, raceline, or fuel beadlocks. Alternate: may go cheap steel until I decide on wheels.
  • AMP side steps
  • Bed Cap or rack or rollback tonneau. Would like to find a custom tube rack to run over a RetraxProMX (or similar) so that I can still lock and secure the bed.
  • front hidden winch (rough country)
  • Added fuel capacity. Would like a small xfer tank in the bed or find an aux tank to install under the body. Cant find one anywhere.
  • Headers & CAI & tune
  • cb radio (already have HAM)
  • skids...
  • brakes...

Attachments

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Hi guys.

Random thought...but as I consider more overlanding equipement investments into my 2016 Silverado...I wonder why the universe of Silverado's being used in this capacity is so small? I've had a few trips in mine now and there are a few things that come to mind, in terms of limitations:

1. Size. Pretty sure only the Power Wagon or other larger 3/4 ton trucks are larger than my rig. Pretty sure there's alot of trails I'll never be able to do simply because I can't fit. But...this is a full size overland vehicle issue and not just a Silverado problem.
2. Turning radius. Sorta hand in hand with the first point...my ability to turn, say on a switchback, seems pretty limited.
3. 4X4 performance. Not sure this is much of an issue...my rig has never had an issue, but I lack front lockers or even the ability to lock my rear diff on command. The G80 is fine if you understand how it works, but I'd think that e-lockers will always be preferred. But...I haven't found anything my truck can't go through, so perhaps this is another issue that's more theoretical than reality. I did learn how much it sucks to not have a disconnecting sway bar since I broke mine on a recent trip to Big Bend. +1 Power Wagon.
4. Chevy reliability. The 5.3L V8 that's in mine will probably outlast us all. The rest of the truck? Well...it's not Toyota.
5. Approach/Departure angles. No issue so far...was able to do anything I needed to in Big Bend including the 'Shelf' section on Black Gap Road in the NP. But...that's one trail. Not sure how I'd fare in more boulder-ridden trails out west.
6. Lack of aftermarket support. It's no Toyota...but I think I've been able to get most everything I need or want.
7. The wheel wells. They're square. Tires are round. Thus...to properly fit my 35" KO2's I have to have a truck on a 6" lift. Impacts both visibility AND mpg.
8. Perception. This could be the main thing...there's not kick ass Overlanding series where the guys tool around in Chevy's...pretty much every single one is one giant Toyota commercial (effective ones at that). So perhaps this is more my perception than reality.

OK...so that's alot but what I've considered. I'm curious what the community thinks. Honestly thinks...so have at it and don't worry about hurting feelings. I am really hoping to make an educated decision on how to proceed and getting some brutally honest, outside perspective will be a huge help! Here's a photo of 'Black Betty' on her lastest adventure, to Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas.

Question: Sweet looking and capable rig. I'm going for a similar theme with mine. What 6" lift kit and bed cap did you go with? How much did you need to trim to clear the 35's and are the 35's 12.5 width?

Badass hood too. Any work to the engine / performance? Exhaust & intake?

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I hope the KO2s do indeed have short tread life, so I can justify going back to Toyo's sooner than later.

I really miss my Toyos!
Picking it up from here,......AT's or Muds? I switched from KO2 (BFG). to the Toyo AT's, both for price and a possible better overall mileage....50k?. The best I ever got with the BFG's was about 45K, with religious balancing/rotation/ psi checks. My average mileage top-out was around 42K. I ran them from 2001- to - 2017, before looking for alternatives. wet traction (rain--'rare in LV') was improved. It was night and day on when the tires broke loose. With the BFG's it was a sudden loss of traction.....snap loss, vs the Toyo's being more linear as they communicated slip as it was happening, causing a better ability to control the vehicle, aka save it in a slide.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Mud's. Cooper Stt Pro.

The longer tires last, the less grip they provide for their entire life. Steel train wheels would last forever, grip.......not so much.

Reactions: MazeVX

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Picking it up from here,......AT's or Muds? I switched from KO2 (BFG). to the Toyo AT's, both for price and a possible better overall mileage....50k?. The best I ever got with the BFG's was about 45K, with religious balancing/rotation/ psi checks. My average mileage top-out was around 42K. I ran them from 2001- to - 2017, before looking for alternatives. wet traction (rain--'rare in LV') was improved. It was night and day on when the tires broke loose. With the BFG's it was a sudden loss of traction.....snap loss, vs the Toyo's being more linear as they communicated slip as it was happening, causing a better ability to control the vehicle, aka save it in a slide.
I had Toyo MT's. The local Les Schwab tire chain had the Toyo brand as an exclusive until recently. Les Schwab wanted almost 2x more for new Toyo MT's as Discount Tire wanted for KO2's. These days Discount now carries Toyo.

I also had a more favorable impression of the Toyo MT's. When I first drove my truck 12 years ago (it's a Titan) it had the Toyo MT's on it, and I remember thinking to myself "holy crap it's a 350Z on stilts!"
For some odd reason, the KO2's are just all-around sloppier.
Can't tell which one is better off road, both seem good as I recall.

Reactions: Desert Runner

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
They used to be so cool. At least after you fix the fenders with some Bushwacker Cut Out Flares, or some tube fenders.

How'd we go from that, to today? 2021 sux. I've driven Chargers that had more ground clearance than this:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

They used to be so cool. At least after you fix the fenders with some Bushwacker Cut Out Flares, or some tube fenders.

How'd we go from that, to today? 2021 sux. I've driven Chargers that had more ground clearance than this:

Because fat housewives and children can't jump.

Reactions: MidOH

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I fix the transformation at the early 2000's.

By the way, the new Tahoe is only about 4 to 6 inches shorter than that light blue 70's (80's?) Suburban.

People bought them for their capability. Then the manufacturer puts out questionnaires oh, how would you improve it?"

Same thing with the Cherokee.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

To be fair the old-school you posted is lifted, not stock (and it's gorgeous!).

-TJ