Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
So, I completely forgot about this thread BUT here's a pic of the sort of rough draft of the front skid that's been on my partners GMC for over a year now... at some point I'm going to build it into a better built prerunner sort of front end. We've already used this thing a lot on a few trips, lol. When we rework it, the front angle piece will be removed, and some better brackets/mounts will be put in their place, we'll also be shoehorning a winch in there somehow and doing some tube work to match the lines of the stock chrome bumper.

View attachment 195607

I also got started on some rear bump-stop mounts to hold the bigger style of foamie bump-stop that's found on the 'Burbs and Tahoe's of that era. I still have to get these mounts cleaned up, weld in some bolt tabs or something and generally get them more polished, but the concept is there. Its just kind of a bummer that a ton of fab work is required to almost anything on these trucks.
Let me see if I can find pics of my front bumper build on my gmc.. same Concept but different

Reactions: dp454so

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

erg20210208_130417.jpg20210212_135607.jpg20210212_080723.jpg20210226_192025.jpg20210226_192033.jpg20210227_155614.jpg
little bit different now since my last few pics almost a year ago. ive moved to a xl tent and am very happy i did. added an extension to the rack for our clothing boxes to be accessible from the back door of the tent. also love the annex cause with the soft topper i have access to the dry box and fridge from inside it so we keep heat in or hot out. awning added. shortened the roof rack. gained 1.5-2 mpg with the 200w of solar at angle to move air over the tent and rack. on a full standalone battery setup. A full slide out kitchen with fridge stove dry storage even an illuminated spice rack. lighting for the kitchen, bed, and outside. a diesel heater! kept us nice and warm in 0 degree weather on out trip to the moore overland expo in Missouri. weve been on a few small trips and have many more to come. rear bumper, front bumper, and sliders in the works. i would not trade this truck for any other smaller rig at this time. fully loaded with all gear, gas, water, food, 2 people and 2 dogs for about a two week trip and we still have 950lbs to spare on our load capacity!!!!!! and i avg 14.5-15.5mpg fully loaded. this is why i go full size! more to come guys.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
ergView attachment 195629View attachment 195630View attachment 195631View attachment 195632View attachment 195633View attachment 195634
little bit different now since my last few pics almost a year ago. ive moved to a xl tent and am very happy i did. added an extension to the rack for our clothing boxes to be accessible from the back door of the tent. also love the annex cause with the soft topper i have access to the dry box and fridge from inside it so we keep heat in or hot out. awning added. shortened the roof rack. gained 1.5-2 mpg with the 200w of solar at angle to move air over the tent and rack. on a full standalone battery setup. A full slide out kitchen with fridge stove dry storage even an illuminated spice rack. lighting for the kitchen, bed, and outside. a diesel heater! kept us nice and warm in 0 degree weather on out trip to the moore overland expo in Missouri. weve been on a few small trips and have many more to come. rear bumper, front bumper, and sliders in the works. i would not trade this truck for any other smaller rig at this time. fully loaded with all gear, gas, water, food, 2 people and 2 dogs for about a two week trip and we still have 950lbs to spare on our load capacity!!!!!! and i avg 14.5-15.5mpg fully loaded. this is why i go full size! more to come guys.
Awesome build. I like that you fully utilized the top of your rig!

Reactions: cary holt

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

Awesome build. I like that you fully utilized the top of your rig!
thanks man. its actually about to get a few changes up top again. going to a different awning, relocating some lights so there not as blinding, moving the rack to the roof of the truck so i can lower the tent rack closer to the softopper and see if i can get another mpg or 2 out of it. have to fix a few wiring things inside the bed. but ill be heading out to moab hopefully sometime in late may

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
thanks man. its actually about to get a few changes up top again. going to a different awning, relocating some lights so there not as blinding, moving the rack to the roof of the truck so i can lower the tent rack closer to the softopper and see if i can get another mpg or 2 out of it. have to fix a few wiring things inside the bed. but ill be heading out to moab hopefully sometime in late may
Yeah I can how those changes would help. Good luck and looking forward to your updates.

Reactions: cary holt

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Just out of curiosity why is the bed rail on the outside of the bed and not the inside?

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

Just out of curiosity why is the bed rail on the outside of the bed and not the inside?
thats a great question.
so theres a full rail on the inside with two bars that drop inside the bed rail and have 6 bolt points per side the two that are on the outside are for strength for the rack its self since its spaced out so i can still use the softopper and will have a little platform between them about 5 or 6" in depth that will be for standing on to access roof stuff or eat a meal on set you beverage on while airing down/up also will tie in a ladder on the front to access the tent or front roof rack. im just not quite done building yet. coming soon.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Passing this along. One of several reasons there are so few of these IFS overland rigs is the front CVs are a weak link. Below is a cut sheet from NAPA, which now carries the CV shafts Trakmotive used to offer (briefly). I'm running a pair now in my 2001 Tahoe, and have one less thing to worry about.

1619023637698.png

Other weak links have also been addressed, such as ditching the front torsion bars for Atomic Fabrication coil overs, replacing the front plastic brush guard with a thick diamond plate skid (fabricated), moog heavy duty rear springs and full auto ride delete, and so on.
Still to address- serpentine does not like water of any kind, or the belt squeal from the water pump immediately starts, the horns need to be relocated as water takes them out as well, and dust constantly clogs the air injection system inlet and evap purge valve.
My opinion is GM is catering to the money, which is high optioned driveway queen 4x4s. To make these rigs work day after day in harsh environments it takes work....

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Passing this along. One of several reasons there are so few of these IFS overland rigs is the front CVs are a weak link. Below is a cut sheet from NAPA, which now carries the CV shafts Trakmotive used to offer (briefly). I'm running a pair now in my 2001 Tahoe, and have one less thing to worry about.

View attachment 195727

Other weak links have also been addressed, such as ditching the front torsion bars for Atomic Fabrication coil overs, replacing the front plastic brush guard with a thick diamond plate skid (fabricated), moog heavy duty rear springs and full auto ride delete, and so on.
Still to address- serpentine does not like water of any kind, or the belt squeal from the water pump immediately starts, the horns need to be relocated as water takes them out as well, and dust constantly clogs the air injection system inlet and evap purge valve.
My opinion is GM is catering to the money, which is high optioned driveway queen 4x4s. To make these rigs work day after day in harsh environments it takes work....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excellent post,........I bookmarked it. Good info to have, past a specialty aftermarket part that might be difficult to get. NAPA stores are everywhere and their warehouse should be able to get them quick.:grin:

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excellent post,........I bookmarked it. Good info to have, past a specialty aftermarket part that might be difficult to get. NAPA stores are everywhere and their warehouse should be able to get them quick.:grin:
Not wide distribution yet, the transition from Trakmotive to NAPA is not fully up to speed. Bought first one at Rock Auto months ago, last one in stock, then the listing disappeared. Found the second out of NAPA warehouse in LA and had it shipped. Bring cut sheet to store and make them dig.

Reactions: Desert Runner

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I dont what CV's to get for the front so i carry a OEM replacement for now, in a few yrs I hope to switch to a solid front axle

Reactions: dp454so

MrTheKiller

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I'm building a 1998 Z71 extended cab... I planned on ordering the CV's noted above in the next month or so and want to experiment with relocating the control arm droop bump stops to provide more articulation. I just ordered larger wheels and tires (305/70/16's) to help with ground clearance. I really dont want to add a lift kit as I hate the torsion bar suspension relocation thing. I want to keep my IFS but and am actively researching coil over options but have not really found any information on coil over conversions. I would guess the 99-06 stuff may work with a little work but I would need to see the parts side by side to better evaluate. My truck has the Heavy Half ton 14 bolt rear and heavy rear springs.... it's towing beast. I just wish the rear suspension would articulate better. I installed plus 3 inch shocks front and rear, now I need to get the suspension to utilize them....

Attachments

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

View attachment 195727

Doing a atomic fab coilover swap and a 9.25 front diff swap soon and these axles are great news !!!!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

View attachment 195727

Gotta love how the picture is of a '14 -18 K2 model, while the applications listed end at the 13 GMT900.

Bummer. Anyone know if the 13's fit the '14's?

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
Was once a hard core GM fan. Both trucks and cars. After swinging wrenches for many years and seeing all makes/models I found more and more that the GM products are just lacking basic reliability. All makes have they're own issues. The manufactures will fix many of the things that pop up as time goes by but GM just seems to ignore these complaints. They will eventually change the model and leave the owners of the previous models stranded with their issues. I have a long list of complaints with GM and it products and won't go into it here but I will say that it will take a major shift in business practices before GM is a consideration for me again.

Reactions: BCMoto and MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's my experience as well, as a master tech.

Only the most decrepit awful vehicles they sell are reliable. And that's because we desperately want our Express vans to blow up. ( Irony or Murphys law? )

We really needed to let GM go out of business in 2008. All of those car people would have started a new company, and hopefully not hired the same damn evil CEO's, engineers, and stock holders. It's obvious that they don't actually drive the vehicles that they design and produce.

The guy who designed the Express van interior, has no left leg.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

View attachment 195727

Keep in mind GM is not the only one to cater to "high optioned driveway queen 4x4s". Ram, Ford, Toyota, Nissan are all doing it. Because that is where the money is. Offroaders are very very small percentage of the buy public. They all make a lot more money selling high optioned soccer mom SUVs than anything we would really want. Its all about the money.
As a side note, I just saw that the 2021 Cadillac Escalade with the right options is now just over $100,000!!!!! That will never go off road. CRAZY

Reactions: JimBill

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

There is no perfect vehicle. I love in Colorado. There are absolutely switchback trails I'll never be able to do. Yes it sucks, but I have to weigh other factors. Towing, I overland with a pop up camper. I dont want to go 35 mph up the mountain. In my diesel I can blast up to 12,000 feet like nothing. Gear, I have a picky wife and dog. I bring a decent amount of gear for 2 or 3 week overlanding trips. Try jamming all that in a Jeep. Payload/leaf springs. I love not having to worry about payload. I occasionally have to haul an elk back to Denver. Again, try getting an elk out inside a JK. Not happening. When I go solo I sometimes sleep on the back of the truck, nice having that option. Not saying GM is perfect but my wife has a Jeep WJ and it has had nothing but problems. Even most Jeep mechanics tell us Chrysler vehicles are crap.