Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
You would also find that you have a lot more in common with a lot of us than you think... In OB land it’s the adventure, not the ride.
I see so many people get in here with gear envy... I started out in 1995 with a 1981 Ford Courier 2wd lowered mini truck... I went 80% of the places Jeeps would go, and about 85% of the places I currently run in my Bronco. I run the same trails in my Bronco that I did with my Ram.
Bottom line, drive what you have, use the gear you already own, and get out there and explore...

Tomorrow I’m heading to Snoqualmie for a 3 day trip mostly solo in my Wife’s stock 4Runner. Yes it’s a Toyota, and I really would weather be taking a full-size... but it needs a couple more shake down runs so @KRose knows what she want to do to make it hers... not gear envy, but to actually put her personal touches for her style of driving. Each person is different.
Agreed Mike.

Run what ya brung. If I had gear envy I would be putting an aev 4.5 rs lift on etc, instead I'm going with my tried and true 2" teraflex spacer lift and some new shocks. A sprinkling of other doo dad's and bam, done. Our two rigs are built for us, and nobody else.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Agreed Mike.

Run what ya brung. If I had gear envy I would be putting an aev 4.5 rs lift on etc, instead I'm going with my tried and true 2" teraflex spacer lift and some new shocks. A sprinkling of other doo dad's and bam, done. Our two rigs are built for us, and nobody else.
That’s exactly it... build it for the way you use it. You drive differently than I do, and we go separate places... you might find RTTs convenient for you, while I find that only 1% of the places I go I would actually enjoy one.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
You would also find that you have a lot more in common with a lot of us than you think... In OB land it’s the adventure, not the ride.
I see so many people get in here with gear envy... I started out in 1995 with a 1981 Ford Courier 2wd lowered mini truck... I went 80% of the places Jeeps would go, and about 85% of the places I currently run in my Bronco. I run the same trails in my Bronco that I did with my Ram.
Bottom line, drive what you have, use the gear you already own, and get out there and explore...

Tomorrow I’m heading to Snoqualmie for a 3 day trip mostly solo in my Wife’s stock 4Runner. Yes it’s a Toyota, and I really would weather be taking a full-size... but it needs a couple more shake down runs so @KRose knows what she want to do to make it hers... not gear envy, but to actually put her personal touches for her style of driving. Each person is different.
@DawnChere Michael, i totally understand about your Courier. My Tahoe is a full size, but it’s also on the lowered police chassis. I still have a blast getting out.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hey I just stumbled onto this thread. Saw your truck and remembered this video I saw on YT. Pretty dope simple mods. Maybe down your alley of what you want to do. I've got a 2018 Z71 but so hard to find good aftermarket overlanding stuff for. But I see 2019 - up may have a better chance.
Dammit. I just leveled the front end of my 14 Sierra with Bil 5100's. After seeing this video, I feel the need for 4 more inches of lift and bigger tires. Oh, and to move out west somewhere.

Nice video, nice build.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner

Agree, it's easy to do.

I don't feel inadequate with a full-sized truck....I am able to store much more gear and gas and supplies, can sleep in my cap, plenty of comfortable roomy cabin to enjoy the road between trails and in town. I never intended to crawl rocks with my truck and never was a full mud-rat when on the trails. I'm not knocking that at all, just the technical climbs where never my goal - getting out into the wild to camp is my goal.

Reactions: M Rose

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Got some more work done on the Silverado. A little fender trimming to fit the 35x12.5x17 tires on the 17" wheels. Then I cranked the Coilovers up 3/4". In this short 1-min vid I was testing out the suspension flex, and ensuring I did not get any rub before my next trip. The dual-batteries are in, and the front facing camera is nearly a must when going up hill over obstacles. I've still got quite a bit of work to perform regarding a fridge, solar panels and some wiring. But, it's fully functional right now, and I'm pleased thus far. With the dual-battery setup, I've been able to get the Smittybuilt 10k winch fully functional, which is just in time for my next adventure.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Trucks looking real nice and the tire fits it nicely, I was looking at those wheels before too i think it looks great on your truck

I really want to do that front camera mod, if you wouldnt mind sending me some links that would be awesome thanks

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Trucks looking real nice and the tire fits it nicely, I was looking at those wheels before too i think it looks great on your truck

I really want to do that front camera mod, if you wouldnt mind sending me some links that would be awesome thanks
Here is a link to another forum where i posted up the info, with specs.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
She's looking good and good mods!
OK @RoarinRow - pics of my theft of your idea.....check the cap interior pics...thanks for the ideas, worked like a champ.

Anyone with a cap Yakima rail/rack install, the bolts are #10, so the coupling nuts and eye bolts are both #10. There are a couple that need cranked down to get enough thread bite, so I just left those alone for now.

I am still playing with the layout...I think the web/net in the back will be relocated, as it interfered with sleeping.

Took the beast to Ouachita Nat'l Forest last weekend...it did well.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
OK @RoarinRow - pics of my theft of your idea.....check the cap interior pics...thanks for the ideas, worked like a champ.

Anyone with a cap Yakima rail/rack install, the bolts are #10, so the coupling nuts and eye bolts are both #10. There are a couple that need cranked down to get enough thread bite, so I just left those alone for now.

I am still playing with the layout...I think the web/net in the back will be relocated, as it interfered with sleeping.

Awesome! I like the setup! Keep the mods coming. I’m sure you have more ideas after your trip!

rhuff

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Just had Bilstein 6112 installed up front and 5160's in the rear on my 2011 Silverado. She is pretty stock, but I have about a 1" rake now vs 2.5" rake and next, I'll get some 33's on it (hopefully).

Then looking to get a dual system put in (if anyone has a good schematic, that would be great).

Reactions: RoarinRow

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Just had Bilstein 6112 installed up front and 5160's in the rear on my 2011 Silverado. She is pretty stock, but I have about a 1" rake now vs 2.5" rake and next, I'll get some 33's on it (hopefully).

Then looking to get a dual system put in (if anyone has a good schematic, that would be great).
Dual batteries? What is your rig?

Prstone50

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Stone
She's looking good and good mods!

This is the setup I want on my 2011 Silverado. What topper is that ? Which Yakima rack it that ? It looks comfy and cozy in there !

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Since I cant find a nice bumper that I like with a winch, I think im going to get the hidden winch plate from RC and just rock with it

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Since I cant find a nice bumper that I like with a winch, I think im going to get the hidden winch plate from RC and just rock with it
It does work, but you have to do some modding.
I have a SmittyBuilt 10k winch in my '17 on the RC hidden winch plate.

Reactions: dp454so

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

Been working on my home built slide out kitchen and solar setup also organization into less boxes with less things. Inverter will be wired into fuse box as well! 10 day trip starts friday

Attachments

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

I had a 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71. I absolutely loved it. I have a jeep now and I would hate to think that I would have to take that large truck out on some of the trails that I do. My Jeep can get into much tighter locations. I can go very remote which is the way I like it

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
2011 Silverado 1500
if you search for the GM 2011 municipal vehicles upfitter manual, there is a schematic in there for the special service Tahoe models. That could be a good starting point.

I used it to track down and rebuild the circuiting savaged when mine was decommissioned.

Reactions: rhuff

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Been working on my home built slide out kitchen and solar setup also organization into less boxes with less things. Inverter will be wired into fuse box as well! 10 day trip starts friday
Very cool setup! Have a fun and safe trip!