Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I..... don't think you can fit 37" tires without doing some fender modification. I've seen that most 35" tires are really 34.5 or .7, and maybe a 37" tire is a 36.5. But, I think that would be a little too much. I'm currently looking at some Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 tires that are labeled at 35 x 12.5 x 17. The actual size is 34.7" tall. Which would be 1.7" taller than my current 33" (true to size) tires, and split that size in half when mounted would be .85" that I would be concerned about with a tire hitting the rear portion of my front fender.

I think I'm just going to stick with 35" tires and call it good. These tires would be mounted on my current wheels which are
Method 310 Con 6 wheels; 17" x 8.5" wide with a 0* off-set.

The CST site states that 35" tires will fit, but only under certain conditions, with wheels that have a specific off-set. So, I think 37" would be pushing it.... Plus, at that point, a re-gear would be necessary. Currently, the 2017 Silverados with the 8-speed transmission have a lower gear that helps to get these trucks off the line, and turn these larger tires.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Ok I dont mind cutting away. im on a 3.5 rc lift and 35s but I am going to try and stuff 37s but i might end up getting a 6in lift. I like your wheel choice, those were my first choice at the time they were out of stock so i got some racelines.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’m glad a manufacturer is stepping up to offer another 35x10.50 . I think it’s a huge hole in the USA market makes fitting a larger tire so much easier and less destructive to drivetrain not having to fit all that width in there . That size has been available for quite a long time in other countries 9116774E-16F8-4B21-9BB0-DCE56F81DB5F.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow

91B/91S

I've been working on bed organization in my 2500. I made some places for the air compressor, shovel, air hose, and the drawers.

I put all of my recovery gear in the drawers. This setup is working great and allows my cooler and camping bins (food and camping gear) to fit in between them. View attachment 70642View attachment 70643View attachment 70644View attachment 70645View attachment 70646View attachment 70647View attachment 70648
Who makes the attachment to hold your shovel that is mounted in your shell?

27EastBeachComber

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Warwick
Member #

Great to see some folks are using the GMT900 out there. I switched from the "Ideal" overland vehicle to the fullsized pickup for the family, and the bed.

I'm coming out of a '16 4runner.... got out from under the bank and got this '07 Sierra Z71... great truck, just bought an entire new camp setup for it.

15000229_10207480018347718_4781694625563071494_o.jpg22219732_10210119163444696_5908968495580749440_o.jpgtruk.jpg

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
OK, have a few questions folks:

First, my usage is down here in Texas, at least for now. Wide open, sand, lots of on-beach driving and desert trips. Not a lot of rocks.
This is also my daily driver and other than the add-a-leaf, I've done nothing to the suspension or front/rear bumpers.

First question, I'd like to do a small lift...SMALL, not 10" so don't go there. Also see no reason to consider these cheap body lifts that simply use spacers.
Is there a small lift that could help me a little with my angles and is it worth doing?

Second question, bumpers. I'd really rather not replace them yet...it's a 2018! But I do a lot of solo travel and would prefer to have a winch on board. Also, the departure and recovery angles are not the best....how much better can new bumpers make it?
I'm also concerned about weight....I have a 5.3L V8 that's chipped but with the ARE cap and the decked system and gear, I'd rather not throw another 500 pounds of front/rear bumper in there.

I'll post some rig pics very soon, getting the camera out now!

Reactions: RoarinRow

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
Your making me want to install a set on my Z71.... My truck is due for a set of shocks, for the price I think I might opt for the dual reservoir shocks.
I had 5100s on my H3.. it went from rubber bandy to solid...I wouldn't say stiff but way more control. I haven't run Fox products but have friends who have...hard to tell if they're really that good or the guys are just rationalizing their expenditure....but their rides are very capable and comfy.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

OK, have a few questions folks:

First, my usage is down here in Texas, at least for now. Wide open, sand, lots of on-beach driving and desert trips. Not a lot of rocks.
This is also my daily driver and other than the add-a-leaf, I've done nothing to the suspension or front/rear bumpers.

First question, I'd like to do a small lift...SMALL, not 10" so don't go there. Also see no reason to consider these cheap body lifts that simply use spacers.
Is there a small lift that could help me a little with my angles and is it worth doing?

Second question, bumpers. I'd really rather not replace them yet...it's a 2018! But I do a lot of solo travel and would prefer to have a winch on board. Also, the departure and recovery angles are not the best....how much better can new bumpers make it?
I'm also concerned about weight....I have a 5.3L V8 that's chipped but with the ARE cap and the decked system and gear, I'd rather not throw another 500 pounds of front/rear bumper in there.

I'll post some rig pics very soon, getting the camera out now!
I have a CST 4.5 on my 2017, which I feel is just right. I'm getting some 35" shoes soon, which will be great on the Silverado. The hidden winch is waiting for the second battery (deep cycle) to actually become functional.

But to answer your question, the CST 4.5 is really the best lift out there for our trucks.... IMHO.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
I have a CST 4.5 on my 2017, which I feel is just right. I'm getting some 35" shoes soon, which will be great on the Silverado. The hidden winch is waiting for the second battery (deep cycle) to actually become functional.

But to answer your question, the CST 4.5 is really the best lift out there for our trucks.... IMHO.
Thanks...

Ouchies...with shock changes, mmm.....spendy.....but looks good.