Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

First post & new to the community - found you'all by googling "silverado overlander". It's good to be among full-size friends. I almost bought a JKU Rubi but after driving a loaded LTZ 4x4 Silverado with the 6.2, I was entirely smitten (I am, and will most likely always be, a "motor" guy). Even though it's "large" by JK/TJ/JKU standards, I think there is ton of potential for overlanding a silverado/sierra and building the community. My one engineering gripe with the Silverado IFS is that it sucks that we have to lower the front diff to get lift & clearance that we need in the front of the truck. (end rant). I'm researching alternatives outside of long-arm kits that extend the width of the front massively & am open to suggestions. I'm also interested if anyone has worked with Deaver to develop long-travel leafs for the rear that will support an overland load & perform regarding articulation & life-cycle, shoot me a PM.

Not trying to hijack the thread but dogpiling on ... I just ordered adjustable king 2.5's & lift for my '16 Silverado LTZ crew cab 6.2, Deaver mini-packs in the rear & shackles if needed (depending on how she settles out). I'm focusing on getting the chassis right then will add other overlanding -specific upgrades. This will very much be an evolving project. I love the truck and the ultimate goal is to make a truck that can do it all... chase truck & overlander (which may not be too different).

Cheers.

Reactions: BCMoto and Nivar3

ragnar71

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fremont, Nebraska, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

We have not tackled the RTT issue yet. The Ava has a roof rack but the Silverado does not. We also have a trailer to finish up that could hold a tent. Will most likely pick a RTT that will work on any of the three and see how we like it. The Silverados do have a lot of choices for aftermarket bed racks so I would lean that way if I put a tent on before removing the stock bed. This would avoid mounting a rack to the cab.

Nivar3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Nivardo
Last Name
Beaton
Member #

Got my rack and rrt in June. Been out enjoying when i can, and im in love!
Still a long way to go. Next up is some lights to help in the dark, then suspension.
Awesome setup...I’m starting in reverse order and working on suspension first...then working on racks and tent.

Reactions: dp454so

Nivar3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Nivardo
Last Name
Beaton
Member #

Here's a few more of my rig on my 10 day trip. Everything overland related I've custom built my self. Full slide out kitchen and roof rack set up that can be tilted to tuck an atv underneath when the softopper is down.
Looks awesome

That camera on the iPad is sweet!!!

Nivar3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Nivardo
Last Name
Beaton
Member #

First post & new to the community - found you'all by googling "silverado overlander". It's good to be among full-size friends. I almost bought a JKU Rubi but after driving a loaded LTZ 4x4 Silverado with the 6.2, I was entirely smitten (I am, and will most likely always be, a "motor" guy). Even though it's "large" by JK/TJ/JKU standards, I think there is ton of potential for overlanding a silverado/sierra and building the community. My one engineering gripe with the Silverado IFS is that it sucks that we have to lower the front diff to get lift & clearance that we need in the front of the truck. (end rant). I'm researching alternatives outside of long-arm kits that extend the width of the front massively & am open to suggestions. I'm also interested if anyone has worked with Deaver to develop long-travel leafs for the rear that will support an overland load & perform regarding articulation & life-cycle, shoot me a PM.

Not trying to hijack the thread but dogpiling on ... I just ordered adjustable king 2.5's & lift for my '16 Silverado LTZ crew cab 6.2, Deaver mini-packs in the rear & shackles if needed (depending on how she settles out). I'm focusing on getting the chassis right then will add other overlanding -specific upgrades. This will very much be an evolving project. I love the truck and the ultimate goal is to make a truck that can do it all... chase truck & overlander (which may not be too different).

Cheers.
I’m doing the same in focusing on suspension and chasis before moving on to the overland specific mods. I’m going to a 4” BDS kit with Fox 2.5 DSC coilovers in the front, and Deaver mini packs in the rear with Camburg shackles and Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. Hopefully placing the order in the next few weeks and starting the build sometime in January or February.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Here is the Avalanche. Taking advantage of a rusty front fender to add a snorkel. Other rust repair in the works. The salt on the winter roads in Nebraska is terrible so did not feel a winch would survive long without lots of maintenance. Added receivers front and rear for a removable winch.
I've got a special liking to Avalanches. This was my 02 1500.

AVTrailer.JPG

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

I’m doing the same in focusing on suspension and chasis before moving on to the overland specific mods. I’m going to a 4” BDS kit with Fox 2.5 DSC coilovers in the front, and Deaver mini packs in the rear with Camburg shackles and Fox 2.5 DSC shocks. Hopefully placing the order in the next few weeks and starting the build sometime in January or February.
Roger that & I like your style!

Make sure you check the availability of the Fox's (and all parts) into your build timeline. I got extremely lucky when I found a shop that had the kings that I want. I still haven't found a shop that has Fox's in stock. Lead time for both (built in batches) is at least 6 weeks from time of purchase and grows from there.

It took me working the phone & email hard for a few days to track down balljoint UCA's (I ended up going with dirt kings) that are available. 2nd choice was Icon and their delta joint but they are delayed 6+ weeks right now. regarding the camburg shackles, they look like great parts but make note that they will LOWER the ride height of your rig in the rear: "The stock shackles are too short and limit droop. These are 1″ longer on the Chevy Silverado and 1.5″ longer on the Ranger and F-150. Since the shackles are longer, they will lower the ride height slightly compared to the stock shackles. " Camburg Chevy/GMC 1500 99-18 | Ford Ranger 83-12 | F-150 2wd 82-03 TIG 4130 Extended Length Shackles | Camburg Engineering

If you have questions, the guys at camburg, down south motorsports, dirt kings, filthy motorsports, Deaver, off-road warehouse are all full of knowledge. Wait times on the phone are long but are worth it. To be honest, the guys from Filthy came across as consummate professionals and not as salesmen and tailored what I needed to what is out there. Didn't try to sell me expensive shit that I didn't' need. Look them up on youtube if you haven't already... they have a ton of content out there for suspensions & chassis.

Reactions: Nivar3

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

Does anyone have a roof top tent on the top of there cab? I have no roof rails and the cross bars im finding are only rated for about 165lbs. So im thinking of going with this bracket kit. (Link below) and welding up my own rail box to attach the tent to. These brackets are rated at about 350lbs. But with my bar box and some extra bracing inside the roof i think it will be enough for my tent and two people.

If any of you have experience with a tent mounted to a bare roof truck let me know what you did and pictures help to thanks guys

1B3966D1-D29C-42A2-98CF-D2AA349BADF4.jpegE8D882B7-E7D6-4324-94AA-2BEDC3FDD707.jpeg80D84331-626F-492D-9DE5-DDBC842A17DB.jpeg
This is my way to mount the tent any where on the rack

It’s a modified RackIt ladder rack thru bolted and supported by the floor of the bed

ragnar71

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fremont, Nebraska, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Here is the Avalanche. Taking advantage of a rusty front fender to add a snorkel. Other rust repair in the works. The salt on the winter roads in Nebraska is terrible so did not feel a winch would survive long without lots of maintenance. Added receivers front and rear for a removable winch.
I've got a special liking to Avalanches. This was my 02 1500.

View attachment 177066
The more I have researched them the better I like them. GM could have taken them further and made them more off-road friendly. Better ground clearance on the front/rear and heavier frames would have been nice.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Nivar3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Nivardo
Last Name
Beaton
Member #

Roger that & I like your style!

Make sure you check the availability of the Fox's (and all parts) into your build timeline. I got extremely lucky when I found a shop that had the kings that I want. I still haven't found a shop that has Fox's in stock. Lead time for both (built in batches) is at least 6 weeks from time of purchase and grows from there.

It took me working the phone & email hard for a few days to track down balljoint UCA's (I ended up going with dirt kings) that are available. 2nd choice was Icon and their delta joint but they are delayed 6+ weeks right now. regarding the camburg shackles, they look like great parts but make note that they will LOWER the ride height of your rig in the rear: "The stock shackles are too short and limit droop. These are 1″ longer on the Chevy Silverado and 1.5″ longer on the Ranger and F-150. Since the shackles are longer, they will lower the ride height slightly compared to the stock shackles. " Camburg Chevy/GMC 1500 99-18 | Ford Ranger 83-12 | F-150 2wd 82-03 TIG 4130 Extended Length Shackles | Camburg Engineering

If you have questions, the guys at camburg, down south motorsports, dirt kings, filthy motorsports, Deaver, off-road warehouse are all full of knowledge. Wait times on the phone are long but are worth it. To be honest, the guys from Filthy came across as consummate professionals and not as salesmen and tailored what I needed to what is out there. Didn't try to sell me expensive shit that I didn't' need. Look them up on youtube if you haven't already... they have a ton of content out there for suspensions & chassis.
Thanks for the input!

I’m aware of the lead times and that’s why I’m hoping to order soon and build in Jan or Feb. We’ll see what happens when I order. Holidays will probably cause more delays.

I have ballpoint UCAs from ready lift when I did my level kit. Hoping to reuse those with the BDS setup.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Awesome truck!!!

I joined this forum specifically in search for more information on outfitting my 2017 Silverado Z71. It is definitely slim pickings when researching Silverado and Overlanding in the same sentence. There is a lot of aftermarket support for other aspects of offroading with the Silverado...but not for overlanding.

I get that full size rigs are harder to get through certain trails...but to your point, that applies to all full size rigs...not just the Silverado.

Can‘t wait to move forward with the next steps in building my rig...here’s a current pic with very ltitle in the way of mods...
View attachment 177019View attachment 177020
Bring on the pinstripes!

420004DF-4514-4B46-B898-ED6F1BB23EA1.jpeg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks Andrew! I haven't heard of Trac Rack before. There've been a lot of manufactures out there since I first had my Yakima racks on different vehicles. I am using the Yakima Q Towers rack system on my rig. The style / model of Q components will depend on make and model. For my 02 it required the Q-109 clips, on Q-Towers with 58" round cross bars, most of which I got from Amazon, other accessories I got locally.
You've never heard of the Trac Rac system? maybe it's just regional or an east coast thing...I thought it had a wider distribution...

Mostly you would see them on a pickup bed of someone in the trades. Rather fat, and could slide up forward and back along the bed as needed. A couple of stoppers on the cross bars and all adjustable with hand turned dials?

They made a model for the tops of Van's, and I have the model for the top of Leer truck caps and the like. About a 500 lb capacity, though the cap itself takes less.

Here's a shot of mine

20200520_081333.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Like the Avalanche, Ragnar. When they first came out, I wasn't so sure about them. I was of the opinion that they were just a 4 door pickup, all dolled up with a sport rack/ Lund air foil on the bed. So why not just get a 4 door pickup?

Then I got a chance to look at one up close. The innovations that went into that truck, well, many are in use today, such as the step bumper and the 3 piece hard bed cover. The original ones like yours with the cladding, fresh off the second gen Grand Cherokees, were not my favorite but I loved the idea of the mid gate. A lot to like about these.

So much so that in my perfect fantasy garage, I would like the truck I have now, a 2013 Tahoe z71, a 1994 Chevy Blazer k1500 5.7 liter, and an Avalanche, preferably the 2500.

Nice choice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You've never heard of the Trac Rac system? maybe it's just regional or an east coast thing...I thought it had a wider distribution...

Mostly you would see them on a pickup bed of someone in the trades. Rather fat, and could slide up forward and back along the bed as needed. A couple of stoppers on the cross bars and all adjustable with hand turned dials?

They made a model for the tops of Van's, and I have the model for the top of Leer truck caps and the like. About a 500 lb capacity, though the cap itself takes less.

Here's a shot of mine

View attachment 177099
Yeah that's a nice rack, especially if it has the turn dials for adjusting. My Yakima slides forward and back, but you have to use an allen screw thingy to adjust the tension.

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Have you considered wrapping the truck? I know a guy that wrapped his 4runner and he intentionally drives it through stuff. The durability is impressive, to say the least.
Great point. Also, you may not need to go full-wrap but look into the line of products from 3M for this application. I've had coverage on the front of my rig
It's definitely on my mind, for sure.
Pike, where did you ever land with wrapping? (sorry if I missed it)