Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
IFS sucks. There I said it. I've had a smaller IFS SUV, it's nice and dandy. I had a 1500 truck too. I now understand the hype about solid axles. Chevy went and stuck IFS on their 3/4 ton trucks too.
I agree with your whole post mostly, but I have a different perspective on IFS. There are a few comments slamming IFS in this thread; I’m quoting yours as it was the first but it’s not my intent to single you out. While I totally agree that IFS is not as robust as a solid axle, that is only one (incredibly important) dimension to consider with vehicle choice, and I’d argue that IFS is a better choice for most overlanders in North America.

Very, very few people can have a dedicated rig just for overlanding, and even those that do will see a ton of pavement miles for every dirt mile they travel, let alone really tough trails. So for a rig that’s going to be a daily driver or used primarily for North American overlanding where the tracks are usually based of unimproved roads/trails, and not major rock crawling and obstacles to get to the back of beyond, IFS is actually better. IFS is more comfortable, it’s easy to pack spare parts for, and in many applications has a better front ground clearance potential as there isn’t a front diff hanging down. Having spent a lot of time at the wheel of solid axle and IFS vehicles, I also find IFS to be far less tiring to drive. Solid axles needed a lot more micro adjustments cruising down highways (at least my Jeep did, as did my family’s Jeep when I was younger). There are plenty of advantages in the "car like" behaviour of an IFS vehicle during the daily chores that we all need to do too.

If you are doing really tough off road than solid axles are better, but many see advice shying them away from IFS as being totally unsuitable, and that scares them away from perfectly acceptable and capable overland rigs — like the Silverado! Both solid and IFS has compromises, and like most stuff it depends on the application.

As a more general comment on full sized rigs — they are very much an American phenomenon, yet they’ve recently been gaining a lot of popularity with Australian ranchers. I don’t think there are in-roads in Africa at this time but that may come in the future as economies shift. Most of what we consider to be ‘good overlanding rigs’ are good because they have a ton of use cases, and a ton of aftermarket support, but they all started in the same place — some dude already had a land cruiser station wagon, or a jeep, or a Hilux, and one day decided to go for a bit of an adventure. He has a grand time and tells his buddies a fish story, so the next time they bring their station wagon, Jeep, etc. and they have an adventure together. When they get back they decide a new bumper or rack would let them have even better adventures, and the aftermarket is born. Then the rest of us hear of their adventures, and a whole host of people say “The land cruiser station wagon/Jeep/hilux is what you need to overland because that’s how those guys did it”. Thank god those original guys didn’t get told that before deciding to have an adventure, otherwise they’d still be using their 4x4 station wagon as....a station wagon!

In 10 years, if the full size market continues to grow in Australia and Overlnding continues to grow in America, I think we will see a surge of people using full size trucks in overlanding applications, because people will be building the vehicle they already own — a vehicle they likely bought with their daily needs in mind, not just overlanding — and they will be building them up and taking them overlanding.

Personally I’m with MidOh. If you want to go down every possible trail, get a motorbike and a gym membership (because you will be working HARD with some bikes on some trails!). For everyone else, there will always be trails that your rig isn’t suitable for. It’s all about compromise.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Run whatcha brung. I don't have a truck anymore. I used the '98 Silverado that is still one of the farm trucks for a while. I loved it! I got into a Jeep for different reasons, but if I stayed in the '98, I'd still be running it. They're very capable. Yes, they're a full size truck, but honestly, depending on cab and bed options, you're nut much bigger than a Tacoma.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The GM 2500 front suspension was hardly softer than my truck, they aren't as smooth as IFS should be. And I have the plow springs, because they're basically a free leveling kit. I can smooth out a solid axles ride, easier than beefing IFS.

So I'd imagine ride quality is a wash with the regular springs and some quality shock tuning. But the Ford SD steering is ''truckish'' in town. But I've always liked trucks that drive like trucks.

Fullsize solid front axle trucks won't hunt and wobble the way short wheelbase Jeeps do on the hwy. My YJ was the same way. CCLB's track and ride the best obviously. CCSB's are a fine compromise, and they have no carrier bearing. My truck goes down the hwy fine with two fingers on the wheel, dead straight. If anything, a Dana 60 is easier to align, and keep in solid shape.

I could use some higher quality dampers though. Fox ATS on steering, and Bilstein 4600's will be in my near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
The GM 2500 front suspension was hardly softer than my truck, they aren't as smooth as IFS should be. And I have the plow springs, because they're basically a free leveling kit. I can smooth out a solid axles ride, easier than beefing IFS.

So I'd imagine ride quality is a wash with the regular springs and some quality shock tuning. But the Ford SD steering is ''truckish'' in town. But I've always liked trucks that drive like trucks.

Fullsize solid front axle trucks won't hunt and wobble the way short wheelbase Jeeps do on the hwy. My YJ was the same way. CCLB's track and ride the best obviously. CCSB's are a fine compromise, and they have no carrier bearing. My truck goes down the hwy fine with two fingers on the wheel, dead straight. If anything, a Dana 60 is easier to align, and keep in solid shape.

I could use some higher quality dampers though. Fox ATS on steering, and Bilstein 4600's will be in my near future.
That is good to know -- my experience with solid axle full sized trucks is limited to a few work trucks from 10+ years ago, and while they were used on crap roads (that's the name of the game in Mining), I wasn't paying close enough attention to them at the time as Overlanding rigs because I had my trusty 2WD Chevy Silverado that went places it probably shouldn't, but only because I didn't know any better and nobody told me not to!

I completely agree with your point that with the right approach, parts, and tuning a solid axle can be made into a fantastic vehicle for everyday comfort and driving. You could argue the opposite too -- there's plenty of IFS to Solid conversion kits on the market if a person is really needing to push the off-road limits of an IFS rig. I think both your point and mine are not necessarily opposites but complimentary -- for most people, they need a vehicle for a whole host of reasons, and will shop accordingly and modify to suit. Overlanding is usually a side hobby that may be a factor, but it may be pretty far down the list of priorities for them. But IFS is not the deal-breaker for an off-road vehicle that many people think/are told it is, and that can be damaging in my view to new folks who turn to boards like this for information. I'd hate for a guy with a 2019 Silverado to see a post about Solid Axles and decide he has to go out, take a loss on the Bowtie and buy a Jeep, all because he read on the internet that IFS was no good for off road. It's not AS good for really TOUGH off road, but for most stuff it's just fine. (obviously this example is hyperbole and if someone DOES go spend $50k based on an internet post, I mean...that's on them! But I think it illustrates the point).

We DD'd a solid axle for years and loved it, but we both prefer our IFS vehicles. There are tons of options of capable off roaders with IFS -- far more than there are options of capable off-roaders with solid fronts. Tacomas, Colorados, 4Runners, and many more are all excellent platforms for adventure vehicle with IFS, and the "Pros" of the rest of the rig outweighs the "Cons" of IFS for most people's needs in a Daily Driver that Overlands. In my experience, when you get into terrain where the solid vs IFS would make a big difference, you are in environments where you are also at risk of damaging other parts of the rig, and a lot of Overlanders don't go that extreme because they need to drive their rig to work come Monday. In other words, they just don't do the really complex trails where IFS vs Solid makes the most difference, because the other hazards of those trails aren't worth the risk, and therefore for most everything else they do in that vehicle, IFS is fine or better than a solid.

If I was doing a straight Overlanding build where the only purpose was exploring and it didn't need to serve any other aspect of my life, give me a solid-axle front and rear Toyota LC Troopy or 79 series Ute (and then throw away the seats, the radio, the speakers, and the headlights, and upgrade them to aftermarket options so I can keep my creature comforts that come with my Canyon!).

TL;DR -- IFS is a compromise with full sized trucks like the Silverado, but not a deal breaker.

(And I'm not saying anyone here said it WAS a deal breaker; I just wanted to present another perspective on IFS so that as a community we do not enforce the "Solid Axles Only Or You Are Not A Real Off Roader! Do You Even Have MaxxTraxx Bro?" sentiment that can be seen in some less welcoming spheres of the Overlanding community -- a sentiment that is mostly absent from OB though!)

Reactions: Jaredro

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My thought is that if I am really going to get into hard trails I'll just buy a separate vehicle for it and leave my Silverado at home. I use my Silverado for much more than overlanding/camping. Traveling to resort vacations, going to the beach, driving kids to events, Costco runs, etc. I could probably transfer a lot of what I've already bought for my truck and transfer it to another smaller vehicle. So depending where the overlanding trip is I would decide to go or not go with maybe a long term goal of just getting another off-road vehicle.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's my thinking exactly. I've got other means of travel for those trails. Boots, bikes, even the back seat of someone else's wheeler.

We were sitting around our campsite just a while ago and ''that rig will never fit down XX trail''. I hiked that trail the next day, it was two miles. Lol. It's pointless to spec a truck for 0.00001% of it's intended need. And I made it to the overlook, on foot, before they did anyways.

But at the same time, I'm the guy on an easy dirt road, that has just flooded, has a rut torn through it, or the darn road just plain fell off the side of the mountain. That's where that front locker starts looking really nice, and then some serious consideration needs to take place, because that D60 is begging for a proper locking diff.

Sometimes the only difference between the most sedate overlanding travel, and hardcore rock crawling, is just one single overlanding mistake.

I don't think any GM guy should dump their truck if it's working for them.

But if you have no truck at all, and plan on fullsize overlanding, strongly look into the F or D trucks. Which I think fits this thread. Why not more GM's seen overlanding? Because D and F are going after our market more, and likely may have a better mousetrap right now for most of us.

Just now starting my build. Only $38,500 in for a brand new ( at beginning of 2018 for 17 model year ) F250, Fx4, elocker, CC, skidplates, 6.75' SB, 6.2l, 6r100g, 10.5" rear / Dana60 front, is going to be tough to beat.

Last edited:

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I think its too bad more people aren't looking to some of the older full sized rigs from the big 3. I picked up a 90 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 for less than $5K out the door. Dana 60 rear, D44 or 12 bolt front, hearty V8 engines, built like a tank, tons of room and long range.
If I fold down my middle seat and pop out the rear I have 110 inches of room from the doors to the front seat. If I were to build a platform above the wheel wells I could fit a QUEEN SIZE bed.
There are many advantages to these older Silverado's, Suburbans, Bronco's etc. (Or new if you have the money)
There is even a guy with a business called Suboverland, he converts Suburbans into live in overlanders. The Suburbans he uses are the same as the Silverado trucks of the same year, so why not.

Reactions: TexasGMG

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd love to. Rust belt claimed most of them. Maybe one day I'll fly down to Arizona and see what pops up at auctions.

I loved the old square 'burbs and CK trucks when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't know at the time that those trucks had both axles swapped to one tons, the trans and transfer case, and were likely on their third engine. Tons of work wheeling the old girls.

Maybe as the baby boomers start croaking, some of these will pop up:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I think its too bad more people aren't looking to some of the older full sized rigs from the big 3. I picked up a 90 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 for less than $5K out the door. Dana 60 rear, D44 or 12 bolt front, hearty V8 engines, built like a tank, tons of room and long range.
If I fold down my middle seat and pop out the rear I have 110 inches of room from the doors to the front seat. If I were to build a platform above the wheel wells I could fit a QUEEN SIZE bed.
There are many advantages to these older Silverado's, Suburbans, Bronco's etc. (Or new if you have the money)
There is even a guy with a business called Suboverland, he converts Suburbans into live in overlanders. The Suburbans he uses are the same as the Silverado trucks of the same year, so why not.
I follow Suboverland on Instagram and they have done some awesome work on converting Burbs into Overlanding vehicles.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Solid axles, manual hubs:
OH Yea! I love it, however you could buy a new truck of your choice for what they probably want for one like that. These old classic trucks in nice shape are going for big money now. But WOW, that is nice.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I know. I can buy an LMTV with a box, for the cost of a well used TJ, and 'lil offroad trailer.

''Overlanding'' is driving up the price of anything 4 wheel drive.

I want to put a RTT on one of these and hit the TAT:

Only $25,000. But forget about the hwy. Stick to dirt country roads.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Solid axles, manual hubs:
Oh Yah, a early Hi-Boy with 80's folding mirrors, in great condition,......whats not to like. Super rare, as this was a time before crew cabs became popular out side of Railroads, and heavy industry. They were worked hard, and put up wet. I have only seen 1 or 2 in the last decade, and they were used hard. I like seeing old iron restored.

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
And that's part of my Ford bias. The SD's are the last manual hub, solid axle trucks out there.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I know. I can buy an LMTV with a box, for the cost of a well used TJ, and 'lil offroad trailer.

Stop posting those pics, MidOH. There's only so much drool we can wipe off our keyboards! ;)

Reactions: MidOH

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

I have seen people buy something similar in surplus, with a communication cargo box on it. They gutted it, and then built themselves a nice live in/glamping rig for WAY>>>>LESS, then a basic new entry level 4x4 truck would cost. If it's all about the adventure, who cares if the top speed is about 55 mph or less. The big issue is sourcing portal hubs if equipped. Somehow in surplus auctions, they are rarely offered. Other parts are easier to find I would believe.

When I was doing evaluation testing, even Hummer had difficulty sourcing for a broken portal unit. It took them 2 weeks to track down a new one I believe. Being what we were doing, the 'chief's up stairs, didn't do used parts unless it was from their parts bin.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
m1079. I think the reefer looking AC units might be 208v though. Not like someone couldn't re-motor them to 240v though.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

I have a Silverado 2500 that I do a lot of overlanding with here in the Southwest . I also own a 2000 wrangler for trail running if there’s something hard to run. The Silverado can do way more than people give credit for.

I did a run with the Silverado with a bunch of overlanding jeeps all loaded with gear and RTT’s when one of them blew a radiator. The Jeep guys all looked at me to tow him out because they were too loaded down to be of any help. Now they all think my Silverado is badass.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I have a Silverado 2500 that I do a lot of overlanding with here in the Southwest . I also own a 2000 wrangler for trail running if there’s something hard to run. The Silverado can do way more than people give credit for.

I did a run with the Silverado with a bunch of overlanding jeeps all loaded with gear and RTT’s when one of them blew a radiator. The Jeep guys all looked at me to tow him out because they were too loaded down to be of any help. Now they all think my Silverado is badass.
Silverado’s are badass! They have a few limitations but overall, they make a sweat ride overlanding! I have a 1500 4x4 extended cab and we’ll be heading up into Utah, Wyoming and Montana for a month on the road, can’t wait! Enjoy