Why a RTT (roof top tent)?

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

It's the only way to go in my opinion. Just wish it hadn't taken me so many years to realize it.
Agreed...and certainly the most comfortable way to go. When I was sitting in the tent Sunday morning I was overcome with the feeling I was 10 years old sitting in my treehouse snug as a bug in a rug.

Contributor I

Has anyone had any experience with the 23 zero rtt's? I'm also in the market for one and have been reading specs sheets on several brands...Tepui, ARB, Smittybilt, 23 zero, CVT... I'm really leaning towards a 23 zero or tepui because of the implied frame strength. I want a tent that can be used in the heavy snow if need be. Anyone else have any personal input or advice they'd be willing to send my way?

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

The Tepui ruggedized line of tents are rock solid. I replaced a standard Kukenam with a ruggedized Kukenam XL. In addition to the larger footprint, the diamond plate base is much stronger (and a bit heavier) than the standard aluminum base. The canvas is also heavier insulting better and withstanding wind , rain and snow to a greater degree. My advice is always get the biggest tent you can fit and afford. You will never wish your tent was smaller.

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I've always wanted an RTT, but the girlfriend and 150 lbs. St Bernard keep the tent on the ground. After a couple weekends in the OzTent RV-5, I think that will be the next tent purchase.

Tepui makes great stuff and always go out of their way to keep their users happy. The tents are well made (look at their Death Valley wind storm video) and always working to tweak their design. They are in Santa Cruz, and might be local enough for a lot of the OB folks (re: save on shipping).

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

Contributor I

The Tepui ruggedized line of tents are rock solid. I replaced a standard Kukenam with a ruggedized Kukenam XL. In addition to the larger footprint, the diamond plate base is much stronger (and a bit heavier) than the standard aluminum base. The canvas is also heavier insulting better and withstanding wind , rain and snow to a greater degree. My advice is always get the biggest tent you can fit and afford. You will never wish your tent was smaller.
I appreciate that advice. It sounds logical to get the biggest you can since its a large investment (to me anyways).

Contributor I

I've always wanted an RTT, but the girlfriend and 150 lbs. St Bernard keep the tent on the ground. After a couple weekends in the OzTent RV-5, I think that will be the next tent purchase.

Tepui makes great stuff and always go out of their way to keep their users happy. The tents are well made (look at their Death Valley wind storm video) and always working to tweak their design. They are in Santa Cruz, and might be local enough for a lot of the OB folks (re: save on shipping).
I really dig the OzTent but the biggest disadvantage I see with it is if it's raining like crazy it will be set up and taken down in mud. Is this something you found negative about the tent?

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I really dig the OzTent but the biggest disadvantage I see with it is if it's raining like crazy it will be set up and taken down in mud. Is this something you found negative about the tent?
You mean vs. a RTT? Sure that could be a downside, but compared to most other tents, setting up in the mud with an OzTent is a great option. It has a thick rubber floor compared to any other ground tent I've seen, and it extends up the walls about 6" on all four sides. Both times I used the OzTent, it was in dry conditions.

Reactions: AZadventure_medic

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I picked up an OZtent two years ago at the Overland EXPO in part because it had been raining and sleeting for to or three days. They had their demo tents the whole time and they were gone dry inside. The only mud inside was from people's muddy boots. I don't let parades march through my tent so that is not an issue.

I was on the fence about getting a RTT but the OZten was so well made and roomy it tipped the scale. And yes. It really does set up in less than 30 seconds. You still have to stacked down if you are in the wind but you can be out of the rain that fast.

I only really use the OZtent when out with the family. While my 4 year old would love a RTT, my wife and dogs not so much.

If I am out on my own with out the family, I usually go with the hammock. Sets up fast just about anywhere. Off the ground so out of the precived critter threats. It is good down into the 30's and in the 100's if you do it right. It packs down small and light weight and doesn't eat up the fuel milage.

E

expeditionnorth

I guess I'll never be a true overlander since I dont have nor want a RTT

I find a hammock much more relaxing

though it may not work in all terrain conditions

the only advantage I see with a RTT is in areas with dangerous critters it keeps you above them

Reactions: brianb2

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

It's the only way to go in my opinion. Just wish it hadn't taken me so many years to realize it.

Nice set up you got their. If you don't mind me asking what size of tent is that and how many people fit in it. I'm a family of four and found a trailer like that here in Jacksonville, Fl and was looking at getting a setup like that to pull behind my Rubicon. Thanks

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Teephud

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Do you guys ever find RTT's to be restrictive? I just finished up a 2 week road trip with my son. We had a few 1-night sites where I was really wishing we had an RTT. However, we also had a few other sites we stayed over a few days. I definitely see the RTT on trailer being a great option, but on the roof you'd have to pack up everyday to go anywhere, right?

Reactions: Michael