Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I've got a cvt mt bachelor which is kinda the smallest one, but I can set it up in under 10 minutes and put away in not much longer.
Wanted something light and fast and this works well for me when solo.

Had doubts or concerns about how stable the vehicle would be when tent was deployed. How it would act when windy, and how it would affect the vehicle when driving as far as drag or top heaviness. Can safely say I have no concerns at all now. Works great!

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
My main interest in a RTT is so camp setup/tear down is less of a hassle and to get up off the ground when in the desert.

A roof top tent is a big expense. I have been thinking about getting one for a while, like I'm sure many of you have. If you are in the Bay Area, Tepui Tents does rentals. This weekend I am renting their Kukenam 3-person model for a Mojave trip. The daily rental rate is $55, so it is easy on the wallet and lets me give it a try.

Also, both Tepui and CVT are having Black Friday sales with 20% off.

The model I have rented is this: http://tepuitents.com/collections/3-person-roof-top-tents/products/kukenam-siberian-camo-roof-top-tent

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major rtt manufacturers. I went with CVT because I knew people who had them and they all said positive things.. Not to mention they were having a 20% off sale so that helped too...

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

As promised @Jose here are some pics. I did the best I could but it's not easy to get pics standing on a ladder haha. Ignore the mess of sleeping bags.. I leave my sleeping bags and pillows folded up in the tent to make for an easy camp setup if we were to arrive somewhere late at night. To give you an idea I took some measurements of the mattress and it's roughly 87"x96" so.. Its rather large... Hope these pictures ore ok...

Awesome Scott!! And thanks brother I pm'd you earlier and will be showing these pics to my wife I'm pretty sure she is going to love that type of set up especially that it will fit us family of four. Thanks again bud for the picture reference. [emoji106][emoji106]

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I really like RTTs but I can't justify spending $1,600 on a tent when my ground tent was $50 and works just fine as long as I put a tarp down first. I also need to park in a parking garage from time to time and I just wouldn't be able to fit with a RTT attached. Trying to get the thing on and off my rear topper would be a pain too, I know they aren't super heavy, but it's more than I really want to attempt hoist up 6 ft off the ground.

I have drawn up some plans to make a platform in the bed of my truck though that should work just fine and allow my wife and I to sleep off the ground and be out of the elements.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I really like RTTs but I can't justify spending $1,600 on a tent when my ground tent was $50 and works just fine as long as I put a tarp down first. I also need to park in a parking garage from time to time and I just wouldn't be able to fit with a RTT attached. Trying to get the thing on and off my rear topper would be a pain too, I know they aren't super heavy, but it's more than I really want to attempt hoist up 6 ft off the ground.

I have drawn up some plans to make a platform in the bed of my truck though that should work just fine and allow my wife and I to sleep off the ground and be out of the elements.
Understood there Joey. Rtts are not for everyone. I very seriously wheighed the pros and cons of having an rtt on my rig, and while there are downfalls there are also some very positive upsides
All in all I could not be happier with my setup. But what works for may not work for all.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Getting up a 2am to pee is a bummer but I agree with the tree house comments. Plus quick setup and tear down. I have thought of mounting ours on a trailer but we get into tight spots that can't be backed out of.

DSC_0205.JPG

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Totally agree! Last time we went camping in the winter/ fall it started raining and our tent was muddy. Won't have a problem with that in a RTT. How do you like the size of yours?
Size is perfect for our family of three. The boy sleeps on a cot down in the annex if the wife is with us. If it's just the two of us the annex gets left at home.

JTS2016TACO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Chandler, AZ
Member #

With my wife and I trying to get out of debt an RTT is not a line item in our budget. So for us we ground camp with an instant tent covered in two layers of 303 protectant. We currently use a 11x9 core instant tent and it's been great I re-spray the coating every other year and I've only had to spray the core tent once since we've only had it a few months.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

So I don't know how this happened but I was signed in as JTS2016TACO and it let me post.
@admin
With my wife and I trying to get out of debt an RTT is not a line item in our budget. So for us we ground camp with an instant tent covered in two layers of 303 protectant. We currently use a 11x9 core instant tent and it's been great I re-spray the coating every other year and I've only had to spray the core tent once since we've only had it a few months.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

In a nutshell (for me anyways), I can make it to remote camp spots where there is no way I could tow my travel trailer, and (possibly more important) I can sleep safe and sound and comfortable up off the ground away from the dampness, rocks, uneven ground, and inquisitive nighttime creatures.
The RTT has been one of the best investments I have made, from both a practical basis and one that has made my soul and well being that much better

Here:

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Question for the RTT owners, well those with the RTT mounted on their daily driver. I've looked around and read a bit in the various forums, and it seems like everyone pretty much keeps their RTT on the vehicle full time. Is that the case with most of the owners here?

I'm definitely up for getting one but not being able to quickly get the RTT off the rig is sort of a deal breaker at this point. There are so many pluses, in my opinion, to using a RTT.

Gotrovr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, CA
Member #

For me the main reason for going RTT is that I am never able to find a LEVEL and dry spot without all the pointy rocks.

wls 111_reduced.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Question for the RTT owners, well those with the RTT mounted on their daily driver. I've looked around and read a bit in the various forums, and it seems like everyone pretty much keeps their RTT on the vehicle full time. Is that the case with most of the owners here?

I'm definitely up for getting one but not being able to quickly get the RTT off the rig is sort of a deal breaker at this point. There are so many pluses, in my opinion, to using a RTT.
We left ours on all winter, with no issues at all. Opened it up in the spring and it was dry and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LostInSocal