Who thinks they should bring back the Camel Trophy event?

• HTML tutorial

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I think we're on to something here, a stock overland challenge, and real stock, not like the stock in the nascar acronym. Maybe just allow bolt suspension and armor upgrades, maybe 10% increase on stock tire size? Change the location its held to vary the terrain and conditions?

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I think we're on to something here, a stock overland challenge, and real stock, not like the stock in the nascar acronym. Maybe just allow bolt suspension and armor upgrades, maybe 10% increase on stock tire size? Change the location its held to vary the terrain and conditions?
Exactly as I said before...Land Rover didn't allow a lift or bigger tires...just a beefed up suspension to carry the extra weight of the team and gear...they did allow bolt on accessories...winch, snorkel, armor, light, rack, etc.....So, I agree a stock style event. Teams would be hand picked by the event through an application and testing process. Allow all manufacturers to compete. It'd be awesome!

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have been looking for something like this idea. There could be different vehicle classes (stock vs. lightly modified vs. heavily modified), but I don't actually think that's completely necessary. Overlanding has created a never-ending series of compromises with my rig. ATs or MTs? 3.73 gears, 5.13s, or something in between? Trailer, roof rack, or neither?

The point is, I have a two door Jeep and would love to "race" with 4Runners, Land Cruisers, F350 Earthroamers, motorcycles or whatever. I know my disadvantages (fuel capacity, highway speeds, packing/unpacking my ground tent, payload--though I don't pack a lot). But I can also navigate tight trails/switchbacks, climb rocks, and finish technical terrain faster and easier than many rigs lugging 10,000lbs of gear around.

For me, the route would have to have to be as diverse as overlanding. I could imagine a route from CO to southern Cali. Some mountain passes, lockheart basin down to the southern Utah traverse. Finishing with the Mojave, or maybe even heading down into Baja. It would also be great to include other skills in portions of the race, like route-finding/navigation, camping in areas of varying climate/harshness/amenities, and requirements for days in a row of being completely self-sustained.

Points-off or disqualification for violating Leave No Trace.