Who thinks they should bring back the Camel Trophy event?

• HTML tutorial

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I think it should be brought back or a similar event that would allow all manufacturers(Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover, Mercedes, and all others) to outfit and sponsor teams. Originally the Camel Trophy event was started by Jeep, all teams had failed to finish, no disrespect to Jeep...it was the first time something like this had been attempted as a competition, if Jeep had stuck with it and worked out the bugs...they could've been serious competitors in this event. Then Land Rover took over and sponsored the event for the next 20 or more years....Great event! Hoping it will return or something similar. Land Rover tried with the G4 races...a great race to be sure...but lacked something...just not the same. Just Curious. If you're not familiar with the event click on the link below for an awesome video!

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

This needs to happen!!! Here in the northeast we have few scaled down events like that.

Vermont Overland Trophy
http://www.vermontoverland.com/vot-faq/
Moose on the Loose
http://northeastoverland.forumotion.com/t1001-northeast-overland-s-3rd-annual-moose-on-the-loose
New Hampshire Overland Challenge
http://overlandchallenge.com.

I participated in the NHOverland challenge last year and had a blast. Our team "Free Candy" placed 5th.

Good article about the event

http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/trips/2015-new-hampshire-overland-challenge/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452118904.775936.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452118770.426232.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452118817.149974.jpg

Reactions: SLO Rob

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think this is a bit too much 4x4 instead of Overland. But........ a "rally" as an Overland journey would be great.
Doing the Overland Bound Trophy Series in the USA, Europe, Australia, Africa and Asia.
Find at least 4 teams, max 6 teams and set a goal.

I would say for Europe, doing the Alpes and the Pyrenees. Or a trip around tha Baltic sea. Or this one. The North Cape trip.
We can do such here on the Overland Bound forum.
This could be fun.Noordkaaprally.JPG

Reactions: murps

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I think this is a bit too much 4x4 instead of Overland. But........ a "rally" as an Overland journey would be great.
Doing the Overland Bound Trophy Series in the USA, Europe, Australia, Africa and Asia.
Find at least 4 teams, max 6 teams and set a goal.

I would say for Europe, doing the Alpes and the Pyrenees. Or a trip around tha Baltic sea. Or this one. The North Cape trip.
We can do such here on the Overland Bound forum.
This could be fun.View attachment 1244
Well we could hold a few different annual events for different skill levels. Thoughts? Or maybe just gear it more for overlanding with a few detours for those that would like a challenge or two....

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

This needs to happen!!! Here in the northeast we have few scaled down events like that.

Vermont Overland Trophy
http://www.vermontoverland.com/vot-faq/
Moose on the Loose
http://northeastoverland.forumotion.com/t1001-northeast-overland-s-3rd-annual-moose-on-the-loose
New Hampshire Overland Challenge
http://overlandchallenge.com.

I participated in the NHOverland challenge last year and had a blast. Our team "Free Candy" placed 5th.

Good article about the event

http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/trips/2015-new-hampshire-overland-challenge/

View attachment 1243

View attachment 1240

View attachment 1241
Wow...I'll have to look into taking a trip back east for one of these events...they look awesome!

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

We are an Overlanding forum, so, rock crawling or such would change the goal away from Overlanding.
And for instance, Rock crawling isnt big in Europe, we just dont have the rigs for it.
So, lets do this the Overland Bound way.

Say, amount of miles, and amount of miles off tarmac. that would be a count.
Then, what is the goal. Say, North Cap in Europe, Or Grand Canyon in the USA.
Or, or, or.
Maybe can Michael say something about this.

Greetings from Robert

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

One will encounter rocks on their way to greatness [emoji12] all the events I posted are conducted on legal roads not private 4x4 parks.
To say going over rocks is not part of overlanding is silly. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending who you are, our world is not the same and one should be prepared to encounter different terrain during their travels.
Don't get me wrong I'm no rock crawler but I build my overland vehicle to be able to go through obstacles on my way (to some extent)

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

One will encounter rocks on their way to greatness [emoji12] all the events I posted are conducted on legal roads not private 4x4 parks.
To say going over rocks is not part of overlanding is silly. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending who you are, our world is not the same and one should be prepared to encounter different terrain during their travels.
Don't get me wrong I'm no rock crawler but I build my overland vehicle to be able to go through obstacles on my way (to some extent)
I agree...I'm no rock crawler either, but there have been Times I had to tackle terrain both above my rig and skill level...sometimes it worked out...sometimes not...but, in the end I gained experience, had a cool story to tell...and well, it's all a part of the adventure. Just like getting lost!

Reactions: Lipek

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Iam not saying that going over rocks isnt overlanding, I say, rock crawling istn overlanding. Its just a part of it.
From that point of view is the Camel trophy not an Overlanding thing. Yes it was Always situated in the most beautiful areas of the world. And yes they did a lot of mileage.
But the main goal was teamwork and conquering obstacles. Which was always the toughest 4x4 I ever seen.

Overlanding isnt the obstacle the goal but the journey. I think that is a very different point of view.
Going to tough terrain to reach your goal is no problem, its a challenge.
Second, I did not mentioned your posted events. I wont judge them at all.
The only thing what I will say is that when there would be a Overland Bound Rally kind of thing, all members, where ever in the world should be able to compete in it.
So, there has to be a goal which everone can reach and there has to be "challenges" that everybody can do.

I keep with the expample of rock crawling and put in the second example; American Football. There is a world series of American Football. And of course just the USA will win this every time.
Why? Because American Football is big in the States. Its your heart and soul (together with basket ball and baseball) I played in the Netherlands AF, but our best team was not even equal to a minor college team in the states.
So when the world series came, the whole world had no chance to win it. I think you guys in the USA are equal to that with Rock Crawling. We just couldnt compete.
I watch video's from all over the world. Australia, Asia, Africa and Europe. And you see totally different builds of Rigs.

For example, this forum has over 500 members who all like to overland!!!!! I love that fact!!!
In the Netherlands, we have one forum, which has 5200 members and 90% does 4x4 pay and play. So Overlanding isnt big here.
When you look at the oppurtunities you have, Africa has, Australia has, Europe cant compete.
But the "rules" in Africa are totally different from those in Australia or in the States. for example borders. In Europe you will be in a different country at least withing 1000 miles.
In Africa the same, except for the some bigger countries.
Australia has as a continent itself no borders at all. And no states in it as well.
Asia or the Middle East, well you all know what troubles there is.

So, when we should make a Overland Bound "Rally" . suitable for all members, we have to think about the goal and the "challenges" to be doable for all members.
If the "Rally" will only take place in the USA, north, south, east, or west and nowhere else, its simple that it will be a total USA thing, and Overland bound will have just a lot of USA members and the "members" from abroad are just hanging there like an appendix. (no use and it can irritate much)
I think, as such a member, Corrie and Michael, have had no intention to make this just for the USA.

So back to the first topic here;

Should the Camel Trophy come back? Maybe yes. Not sure about that one.
Should we embrace that kind of thought with the forum. Yes, we should, but not as tough as the Camel Trophy's. For all the reasons I already mentioned.
I think it would be a great thing to have a kind of friendly "competiton" to make this forum different and more outstanding.
So Lipek, and I checked your examples, I think they are great stuff to work with for a start. Especially the Vermont Overland I like.

Question now is, how do we make it a real Overland Bound thing!

Greetings from Robert
(ps, I remind everybody that english isnt my main language, I can make mistakes in writing, grammar and expressions.)

Reactions: PB&Me

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dear Robert you will not be forgotten hahaha, my take from your post is that you want to be included...
For me overlanding involves 4x4 otherwise I would've bought a Prius and stayed on the highways to reach my tourist destinations.
I think your idea of "overland rally" is much different than mine, and that's cool, it also perhaps deserves its own thread. As it is far different of what camel trophy ever was, and that is what we are talking about here.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Dear Lipek :tongueout:

I agree 4x4 must be included into our journey's. On that we totally agree.
If the Vermont Overland is your idea of what it should be. Then we think much the same.
I agree to this should have its own topic. So StringTwelve, to you the honor of making that separate thread.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: Lipek

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Hell yes, this needs to come back. I love the idea of having it open to all manufacturers, but I also am afraid it would be more about specially built rigs and less about the skills needed to complete the challenges.

On the other hand, if the rally gets enough exposure it might push manufacturers to continue development of real off road vehicles. Let's face it, we are an endangered species these days.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hell yes, this needs to come back. I love the idea of having it open to all manufacturers, but I also am afraid it would be more about specially built rigs and less about the skills needed to complete the challenges.

On the other hand, if the rally gets enough exposure it might push manufacturers to continue development of real off road vehicles. Let's face it, we are an endangered species these days.
I agree that rigs would probably become too specialize. Perhaps it could be a rule that rigs must be available from the mfr in the configuration being used. That would force the manufacturers to build more capable stock, affordable solutions. It would also showcase driver skill.

Reactions: CCHeath

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

There would need to be a minimum number of units sold or produced, otherwise you end up with 500 exclusive hand-built "production" models like you did in Group B WRC.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

right. That's what I mean. It would be something like a Rubicon or TRD package that is already purchasable through any dealer. Those packages are plenty capable in the right hands as it is. But the competition might force quicker improvements to the product lines.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

right. That's what I mean. It would be something like a Rubicon or TRD package that is already purchasable through any dealer. Those packages are plenty capable in the right hands as it is. But the competition might force quicker improvements to the product lines.
Exactly...That's how Land Rover did it. Of course they had to add a roll cage for safety and heavier duty suspension because of the weight, a few bolt on items like a snorkel or winch...but I believe the drivetrain and running gear were mostly stock. All models in the Camel Trophy events could be purchased at any LR dealership. I believe the LR XD package was available to everyone as well.