• HTML tutorial

Imperial Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canada
Member #

Good tip!

Do you know of any good spots to check out on Vancouver Island? I can only imagine there is really scenic routes along their coast. Wish there was some drivable beach terrain, like we have on the west coast of WA.
Hey Guys,

We just moved from the Island and used to be part of a jeep club there but its since disbanded (oddly enough everyone traded in their jeeps for trucks). You are gonna find that most spots are along old forest service roads or logging roads and they can be sketchy with lots of washouts. best bet would be to get a BC Vancouver island back roads map book and check that out.

as for beach driving their are some spots you can do that but if you get caught its a HUGE fine (Van Isld is full of super hippies hell they have an entire island called Salt Spring) and the beaches are for the most part on parkland or private property so access is really limited.

If you head up North Island near Tofino you'll find some great trails / FSR just off the highway with some stunning views. Also near Duncan/Shawnagan lake lots and lots of trails to be found just remember that some of them put you on treaty land and you need to get permission otherwise they get really pissed and will call the police. We have always asked and never had an issue but I know lots of guys who got warnings for trespassing and some got fines.

your best bet is to head North Island and just take some of the turn offs at the side of the road / follow the Map book. you can also try to get in touch with the BC Jeep Club or Southern Vancouver Island Jeep association.

and if you do get the chance hit up BIN4 burgers in Vic they are some of the best burgers I have ever had anywhere ever !!

happy trails and enjoy the island

Reactions: EJD

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a TJ & and LJ and have been all over Ontario with them often going for a week or so of camping. The mileage isn't great especially when trailering but the fun factor evens things out. The TJ is pretty much stock. My LJ has a 2" lift and it's fine for overlanding - not sure I'd want to do any serious wheeling with it though. I also have an XJ and an MJ. All are daily year round drivers ... no choice, they're all I have! :blush:

Love the soft top but have to agree that the hard top is much better on long trips.

My trailer is still under construction ...
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/pco6s-off-road-trailer-build.15306/#post-226338

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have a TJ & and LJ and have been all over Ontario with them often going for a week or so of camping. The mileage isn't great especially when trailering but the fun factor evens things out. The TJ is pretty much stock. My LJ has a 2" lift and it's fine for overlanding - not sure I'd want to do any serious wheeling with it though. I also have an XJ and an MJ. All are daily year round drivers ... no choice, they're all I have! :blush:

Love the soft top but have to agree that the hard top is much better on long trips.

My trailer is still under construction ...
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/pco6s-off-road-trailer-build.15306/#post-226338
Man, its like you have the best of both worlds with the TJ & LJ! Plus the trailer! Setup looks pretty awesome, i've been to Ontario and I know they have tons of trails over there. Nice Jeeps!

Reactions: PCO6

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hey Guys,

We just moved from the Island and used to be part of a jeep club there but its since disbanded (oddly enough everyone traded in their jeeps for trucks). You are gonna find that most spots are along old forest service roads or logging roads and they can be sketchy with lots of washouts. best bet would be to get a BC Vancouver island back roads map book and check that out.

as for beach driving their are some spots you can do that but if you get caught its a HUGE fine (Van Isld is full of super hippies hell they have an entire island called Salt Spring) and the beaches are for the most part on parkland or private property so access is really limited.

If you head up North Island near Tofino you'll find some great trails / FSR just off the highway with some stunning views. Also near Duncan/Shawnagan lake lots and lots of trails to be found just remember that some of them put you on treaty land and you need to get permission otherwise they get really pissed and will call the police. We have always asked and never had an issue but I know lots of guys who got warnings for trespassing and some got fines.

your best bet is to head North Island and just take some of the turn offs at the side of the road / follow the Map book. you can also try to get in touch with the BC Jeep Club or Southern Vancouver Island Jeep association.

and if you do get the chance hit up BIN4 burgers in Vic they are some of the best burgers I have ever had anywhere ever !!

happy trails and enjoy the island
Thank for the tips! I will look into a few of those areas, though I was hoping to stick towards the bottom of the island, which i'm sure is limited. I'll look into things further/closer and make a plan before hand.

Can I ask, is there any special things/gear/equipment I may need specific to that terrain or is it basically like what we have here in WA? I'll be sure to check out a BIN4 too! Lol, thanks.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Man, its like you have the best of both worlds with the TJ & LJ! Plus the trailer! Setup looks pretty awesome, i've been to Ontario and I know they have tons of trails over there. Nice Jeeps!
Thanks EJD. Ontario is a BIG Province with lots to see and it's nice to do it in a Jeep!

I know this is a TJ & LJ thread ... but here are my other 2. They keep me busy!

'89 XJ

'88 MJ

Imperial Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canada
Member #

Thank for the tips! I will look into a few of those areas, though I was hoping to stick towards the bottom of the island, which i'm sure is limited. I'll look into things further/closer and make a plan before hand.

Can I ask, is there any special things/gear/equipment I may need specific to that terrain or is it basically like what we have here in WA? I'll be sure to check out a BIN4 too! Lol, thanks.
No worries man BIN 4 is amazing I really do miss it.

As for the offroad / overland stuff no the island is the same as the PNW just have a good set of wet weather pants and jacket and a tree saver. Those were the things everyone always seem to forget.

have fun and enjoy the Island.

rltennal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I saw your comment about the Whidbey Island Jeep Club disbanded... that is true, but a new has formed on Facebook. Search for "Whidbey Island Jeep" They do something just about every weekend. Mostly out to Walker Valley.