Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Hi folks,
I have a couple questions:
1. Who still has a TJ or LJ Jeep platform and still overlands with it?
2. Do you have it lifted and armoured up?
3. Do you tow a trailer to overland?
I am just curious. We just finished an overland trip to BC and back in our Jeep namely to pick up a off-road trailer with tent (Kakadu Bushranger 200XT).
I'm not gonna lie....the gas consumption for a cross Canada trip at highway speeds on the Trans Canada sucked. Driving around 80km or 55mph gas mileage was greatly improved.
Next and subsequent trips with the LJ will be on provincial roads and back roads unless we absolutely have to.
Don't get me wrong, I know it is a Jeep, and a Rubicon to boot, it's lifted with 33" tires and some armour and has the aerodynamics of a garbage dumpster with a 3.5" lift....I get all that and I'm ok with budgeting for these trips.
So we just became part of the Toyota BORG and got assimilated........My wife just traded in her F150 yesterday for a Toyota Tacoma short box and we are contemplating using it for the cross the country and international trips instead of the Jeep.
I love my LJ, the Jeep is an awesome ride, doors off, on the road or on the trail it's a ride you can not duplicate.
Do any of you use your Jeep and another vehicle for really long trips?
So what say you all?
Thanks for your input!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Hi folks,
I have a couple questions:
1. Who still has a TJ or LJ Jeep platform and still overlands with it?
2. Do you have it lifted and armoured up?
3. Do you tow a trailer to overland?
!
1. Yes, 2004 Rubicon
2. 4" lift on 33s with sliders, tranny skid plate and armored diff covers
3. Yes, I have one of your Canadian Army M101 trailers with a RTT.

IMG_1236.JPG

The only thing I wish I would've done differently and gotten an LJ. So my advice is keep what you got.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Ok that make sense. Next year we are doing your neck of the woods along with AZ, NV, TX, UT, CA, CO, OR, WA state. It would be nice to have a guide or at least a meet up some where along the way. So stay tuned we will be coming your way after I am officially out of the army in June 2018!

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Interesting perspective. I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra outfitted for long trips and overlanding. Love it. I needed the size for the family. But for the shorter trips locally with a little more off roading sections I find it a bit big. My exit angle in that thing is atrocious.

I'm looking to find an LJ rubicon just like you already own. Let me know if you're ever selling it. [emoji16]

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Interesting perspective. I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra outfitted for long trips and overlanding. Love it. I needed the size for the family. But for the shorter trips locally with a little more off roading sections I find it a bit big. My exit angle in that thing is atrocious.

I'm looking to find an LJ rubicon just like you already own. Let me know if you're ever selling it. [emoji16]
I would like to sell the LJ, we've over done the off-roading or 4 wheeling over the years. It is just not our thing anymore. Now our off roading is driving on crown land to get to a camp site type of thing. Our LJ is really very well maintained and would like it to go to someone that can appreciate everything it has to offer. It is far more capable than 99% of the drivers can handle. It's an awesome machine. Right now post trip I am putting in a new starter, 4 new Fox 2.0 shocks front and rear, ARB fridge mount, a mount for my ArkPak, 4 new BFG K02's and change out all the U-Joints and clean the brakes as routine maintenance. Last year it got a new paint job, new bumpers, new rack system. Its been a 7 year work in progress.
But now we have a different focus, long distance trips are our future and for no other reason other than fuel costs on long trips the LJ is ready to pull the pin. I just don't want it to rust out and fade away.
If you are serious about buying it PM me and I can give you a complete run down of what is installed as it sits.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We use my 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ for trips. 33" tires, ~4" of total lift, rear locker, 4.56 gears, etc. Works great. Space trades at a premium though so we try to limit how much we bring. Mileage is bad (14-16 mpg) but so is everything else in this vehicle category. No trailer since there is only two of us. More space would be nice but the cheapest car to own is the one you already have. I've driven the Jeep across the country multiple times. Hard top makes a big difference in terms of comfort.

Reactions: SPJEEP4x4

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I’m kind of in the same boat as you wiznodie. I’ve had my ‘05 TJ Rubicon for 9 years now. I’ve done small upgrades due to it being my DD up until last year when I bought a ‘17 Tacoma TRD OR. I mostly cruise back roads here in KS and occasionally get to an ORV park. Would like to get in to some longer trips, probably CO and UT maybe further west.

So now I’m in a continuous battle with myself about which vehicle to focus on and whether or not to get rid of my TJ. I love my Jeep and don’t want to get rid of it but also don’t feel the need for two vehicles, especially when one is super loud and mpg sucks. I’m still doing little things to my Jeep and do plan to use it for more local stuff. MOAB has always been a dream trip with the Jeep so I can’t sell it until I’ve done that at least.

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Just bought a JK and planning to do trips this summer. Traded in my Honda Ridgeline which was great to camp out of and had room to haul but limited in off-road capabilities. Looking for a trailer because I can't see just the jeep being very practical on long distant, multi day trips.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I love my yj and my rh drive tj for local romps but my 95 f350,landrover and 1999 xj do all the real work. The only thing I hate about Toyota besides the price tag is that they still use drum brakes on the rear axle. Who still uses drum brakes.

rltennal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

New to the club here and found this TJ thread. I've kind of been all over the US, from FL to NY to WA currently. Hoping to now cross over to Vancouver Island this year and go international!

View attachment 58309
When are you trying to explore Vancouver island? I’m also trying to put something together to explore the back country of the island this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: EJD

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

When are you trying to explore Vancouver island? I’m also trying to put something together to explore the back country of the island this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Not sure yet, still trying to figure out the details in terms of taking the Anacortes Ferry across to Sidney BC, and where to explore while over there. I definitely want to, just need to plan it out a little more. Most likely this summer or fall would be great.

Also, I see we're neighbors! Any trails over on Whidbey Island?

rltennal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Just a little stretch of water between us eh. there isn't any trails here on Whidbey.

I'm heading up to Vancouver Island around July 1 to visit some friends. The ferry from Anacortes is always on option but I have found it significantly cheaper to heady up to Canada and take their ferry system. It save you about $20.00 each way. Although, the ferry ride up to Sidney is enjoyable.

Reactions: EJD

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just a little stretch of water between us eh. there isn't any trails here on Whidbey.

I'm heading up to Vancouver Island around July 1 to visit some friends. The ferry from Anacortes is always on option but I have found it significantly cheaper to heady up to Canada and take their ferry system. It save you about $20.00 each way. Although, the ferry ride up to Sidney is enjoyable.
Good tip!

Do you know of any good spots to check out on Vancouver Island? I can only imagine there is really scenic routes along their coast. Wish there was some drivable beach terrain, like we have on the west coast of WA.