Who here plans Overland trips around Fishing?

• HTML tutorial

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Hello

I was wondering how many members plan their Overland trip around fishing. I am a big Surf fishing guy and was wondering if there are people on this site that do the same, maybe we can work out an Overland fishing trip to Cape Lookout, NC, OC Marland, or any other place that allows camping on the beach. I am on the East Coast and do most of my Surf Fishing on Island Beach State Park and Brigantine, NJ, I have camped on both.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

ME!, I am a Fly-tier, Flyfisher. I live in Boise, ID... Henry's Fork, South Fork, Silver Creek, Both Big Wood River & Little Wood, Jarbidge, Jack's Creek, Owyhee River. Then there is the Selway, Lochsa, and the St. Joe way-up north. Rainbow's, Cutt's, Tiger, Browns, Redband trout... Always looking to places to fish, that isn't getting pounded...
add-on: I forgot Kelly's Creek, and the Clearwater.
DcG

Last edited:

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

ME!, I am a Fly-tier, Flyfisher. I live in Boise, ID... Henry's Fork, South Fork, Silver Creek, Both Big Wood River & Little Wood, Jarbidge, Jack's Creek, Owyhee River. Then there is the Selway, Lochsa, and the St. Joe way-up north. Rainbow's, Cutt's, Tiger, Browns, Redband trout... Always looking to places to fish, that isn't getting pounded...
add-on: I forgot Kelly's Creek, and the Clearwater.
DcG

More Saltwater Species for me, I haven't done freshwater in 15 years, I probably should, but I spend most of my time by the Ocean.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I am headed to Colorado this June from Northern AZ. Meeting up with some of the Rocky Mountain crew from here for their yearly trip. Plan on leaving a week prior to the trip and stopping along the way to do some fishing in CO and UT. Going to try and teach myself fly-fishing while I am at it, but will also be bringing my spin rod to fish with.

Reactions: Surffishingbum

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I am headed to Colorado this June from Northern AZ. Meeting up with some of the Rocky Mountain crew from here for their yearly trip. Plan on leaving a week prior to the trip and stopping along the way to do some fishing in CO and UT. Going to try and teach myself fly-fishing while I am at it, but will also be bringing my spin rod to fish with.
The best $ 6.95 spend, pick up a copy of Sheridan Andersson's "The Curtis Creek Manifesto", Great learning how-to, especially building your own leaders...
Green River is a must.
DcG

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
The best $ 6.95 spend, pick up a copy of Sheridan Andersson's "The Curtis Creek Manifesto", Great learning how-to, especially building your own leaders...
Green River is a must.
DcG
Thanks for the recommendation! Just found a copy on ABEBooks for 4 bucks and free shipping, so I ordered it. Now to get my hands on a rod/reel combo.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have fished from Alaska to the Keys. Louisiana, Arkansas, Outer Banks, inshore, offshore, blackwater, mountain streams, ponds, lakes, mudholes. I'm not too picky. Just being there is the thing. Really wanted to fish England and Scotland when I was there a few year ago but too much else to see and do and only had 10 days there with my history guide. I like to camp and fish just has not been as regularly or as extensively as I would like to date, cause of life/work. I retire tomorrow and got my first covid Friday shot so I am about to step up my game some. I hope to head to the Rockies some time this year with my camping rig. I will probably do a few closer trips this spring. Maybe I can get to the Rockies by July - August into September - October. Where I go will depend on when I get there. Seems like Colorado has been getting above normal snow?? Would like to check out the Black Hills NF, S.D. some too. Last time through there I had a female with me and we were coming back from Yellowstone and Glacier NP. Saw some awesome fishing spots out there and fished a few but really been wanting to get back for the last twenty years. So, if the Fishing Gods allow...I gave up women a while back...but if there are some nice ones out there that can tie a good fly and stay in remote places...I could be enticed to show them a few good spots...for fishing :grinning:

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

I have fished from Alaska to the Keys. Louisiana, Arkansas, Outer Banks, inshore, offshore, blackwater, mountain streams, ponds, lakes, mudholes. I'm not too picky. Just being there is the thing. Really wanted to fish England and Scotland when I was there a few year ago but too much else to see and do and only had 10 days there with my history guide. I like to camp and fish just has not been as regularly or as extensively as I would like to date, cause of life/work. I retire tomorrow and got my first covid Friday shot so I am about to step up my game some. I hope to head to the Rockies some time this year with my camping rig. I will probably do a few closer trips this spring. Maybe I can get to the Rockies by July - August into September - October. Where I go will depend on when I get there. Seems like Colorado has been getting above normal snow?? Would like to check out the Black Hills NF, S.D. some too. Last time through there I had a female with me and we were coming back from Yellowstone and Glacier NP. Saw some awesome fishing spots out there and fished a few but really been wanting to get back for the last twenty years. So, if the Fishing Gods allow...I gave up women a while back...but if there are some nice ones out there that can tie a good fly and stay in remote places...I could be enticed to show them a few good spots...for fishing :grinning:
I did not forget about you, I have to wait until I get my 2nd Covid shot before I get out of town, then I am hitting Cape Lookout. I will let you know when and congrats on your retirement.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I did not forget about you, I have to wait until I get my 2nd Covid shot before I get out of town, then I am hitting Cape Lookout. I will let you know when and congrats on your retirement.
Have you checked out the ferry service for Cape Lookout? Never been but I know some people that go in the Fall. They make reservations way ahead. They are coming from different direction though.

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Have you checked out the ferry service for Cape Lookout? Never been but I know some people that go in the Fall. They make reservations way ahead. They are coming from different direction though.
No I should look into that, thanks for the heads up. Is there a way into Cape

No, I have not, thank you for the heads up. Is there a way to get to Cape Lookout without using the Ferry?

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
No I should look into that, thanks for the heads up. Is there a way into Cape

Not I have not, thank you for the heads up. Is there a way to get to Cape Lookout without using the Ferry?
Boat, swim, helicopter? Seriously, coming south it might be easier to go through Hatteras and take the free ferry to Ocracoke Island ...no wait, Cape Lookout is further south, can't drive from upper . There a a number of options from like Swan Quarter and Cedar Island. Will send PM.

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Boat, swim, helicopter? Seriously, coming south it might be easier to go through Hatteras and take the free ferry to Ocracoke Island ...no wait, Cape Lookout is further south, can't drive from upper . There a a number of options from like Swan Quarter and Cedar Island. Will send PM.

Thank you

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I am almost always camped on a lake as long as I can help it. I pack a rod in the back of the jeep or even a backpack just in case. i have found some really good fishing spots and some lakes that were completely dead ( although the were super pretty with really blue green alkaline waters, no algea , weeds, etc.).

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Guilty. There's a flyrod and gear permanently stored in my Jeep. The Owyhee, Deschutes, Williamson, and Metolius Rivers are some of our normal destinations. Some trips include the drift boat. Nothing like standing in a secluded spot on a river and casting a fly to make the rest of the world go away for a little while.

KIMG0454.JPG