Steward I

Biblical Garden, Elgin, Scotland IV30 1HU, United Kingdom
First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey from South Yorkshire
Hi pal! Welcome! (Apologies if you're already in groups, etc)

I'm the area rep for Scotland and N. England, if you need anything, just give me a shout. If not already, we have a WhatsApp group where most chat traffic happens. Link is on the fb page or message me and I can send it.

@Polaris Overland is our mighty overlord

spookyandroid

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sheffield, UK
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Dee

I'm the area rep for Scotland and N. England, if you need anything, just give me a shout. If not already, we have a WhatsApp group where most chat traffic happens. Link is on the fb page or message me and I can send it.

I'm a bit of a recluse in that respect, years in the IT industry has me without WhatsApp and Facebook! Ha.

Nice to meet you caspoint, do you do meet ups or is that all on the WhatsApp group?

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Perhaps we could set up a tri county meet up?

Yorks/Derbys/Notts?

Somewhere ppl can meet up, grab a coffee and look at each others rigs / talk about overlanding. I'm not quite ready for actual events as I am setting up a new rig for family overlanding but a local meet would certainly make me feel more involved and connected.

Perhaps a good introduction for new members and potentials @Polaris Overland @professorpool ? Your input would be welcomed.

Last edited:

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Yorks/Derbys/Notts?

Somewhere ppl can meet up, grab a coffee and look at each others rigs / talk about overlanding. I'm not quite ready for actual events as I am setting up a new rig for family overlanding but a local meet would certainly make me feel more involved and connected.

Perhaps a good introduction for new members and potentials @Polaris Overland @professorpool ? Your input would be welcomed.
We will have a meet in The Lake District in June - watch the rally points for upcoming events!

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Yorks/Derbys/Notts?

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

I'm hoping to attend the AO Show if I can get a roof tent sorted for the Amarok in time and a basic camp setup. Elka (partner) is eager to go as she hasn't been before and it's an ideal place to see if we can hack 2 adults and a small one in a RTT.

The Lakes might be a bit of a stretch for us at the moment.

As for the original query - is this something that could be set up? Or can members use Rally Point to arrange their own meets with OB Reps help/approval?

caspoint220

local Expert, West Europe
Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm a bit of a recluse in that respect, years in the IT industry has me without WhatsApp and Facebook! Ha.

Nice to meet you caspoint, do you do meet ups or is that all on the WhatsApp group?
Hi pal, ach aye that's fine. The app has come a long way since it launched, so as you've seen, you will get replies here.

Also, as has been mentioned, there's a few rally points coming up soon - navigate to the map and have a wee look, if you need help just gimme a shout

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
All meets are warmly encouraged whether that is a tyre kicker and a coffee, a green lane trip or family weekend get together.
Overland Bound lives and dies on its community and only by meeting, creating friendships and relationships can we build that community.

caspoint220

Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm hoping to attend the AO Show if I can get a roof tent sorted for the Amarok in time and a basic camp setup. Elka (partner) is eager to go as she hasn't been before and it's an ideal place to see if we can hack 2 adults and a small one in a RTT.

As for the original query - is this something that could be set up? Or can members use Rally Point to arrange their own meets with OB Reps help/approval?
Hi pal, you're completely correct, you can set your own meets, you don't need approval - reps are here to assist and at times do bug events, but OB is very much a "give you the tools" organisation.

We did try flash/coffee meets before but in my local area it didn't work. Maybe you might have more joy?

We certainly have had success with people visiting camps just for the day etc.

Feel free to set up your own RP pal, if you need help just let me know.

Also, WRT the AO, I would suggest (unless your deadset) you grab a normal tent and camp "old school" at the AO show - there will still be space for you at the OB site. Then browse the vast array of tents available, I've seen it too many times where people are dead set on a certain type of tent only to realise it doesn't work for them afterwords

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

You're more than welcome and in fact encouraged to create your own rally points. Anything you need help with just ask!

Coming to the AO show would be a great opportunity to meet other members. Register on the rally point here and come camp with the rest of us!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran

First hopefully see you at the AO.
Secondly Rally Points are for any member to set up, you don't need permission. Myself, Stephen and Nik / Leann are here to help you if you need a bit of advice or assistance in creating the Rally Point and we can assist in getting the word spread further afied.

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

All meets are warmly encouraged whether that is a tyre kicker and a coffee, a green lane trip or family weekend get together.
Overland Bound lives and dies on its community and only by meeting, creating friendships and relationships can we build that community.
Love this attitude.

In other 'clubs' I have been a part of in the past the focus has constantly been on distant meets which can sometimes ostracise those with restrictive responsibilities or financial restraints. Local meets are instrumental in making things more inclusive and bringing everyone together.

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Also, WRT the AO, I would suggest (unless your deadset) you grab a normal tent and camp "old school" at the AO show - there will still be space for you at the OB site. Then browse the vast array of tents available, I've seen it too many times where people are dead set on a certain type of tent only to realise it doesn't work for them afterwords
The RTT is a choice as traditional tents are no good for me any more. I stopped camping on the floor at 40 and moved to van camping. I have a dedicated overland camper in build but that will primarily be used for longer trips of a week or more.

The RTT/Amarok setup is more for overnighters or weekends with limited gear requirements. I think we are going for the Ventura 1.4 Deluxe with annex to compliment the 270 degree Ventura awning I have already.

Reactions: caspoint220

caspoint220

Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

The RTT is a choice as traditional tents are no good for me any more. I stopped camping on the floor at 40 and moved to van camping. I have a dedicated overland camper in build but that will primarily be used for longer trips of a week or more.

The RTT/Amarok setup is more for overnighters or weekends with limited gear requirements. I think we are going for the Ventura 1.4 Deluxe with annex to compliment the 270 degree Ventura awning I have already.
Happy days! Hopefully, your ventura stuff is good quality. Members have had issues with some of the earlier gear/customer service. I mean, all companies have issues, but ventura pops up repeatedly pal.

professorpool

Local Expert West Europe
Launch Member

Traveler III

Woking, England
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Happy days! Hopefully, your ventura stuff is good quality. Members have had issues with some of the earlier gear/customer service. I mean, all companies have issues, but ventura pops up repeatedly pal.
Yeah I’d be looking elsewhere also..

A good used premium make would be better than a cheap new tent..