Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Happy days! Hopefully, your ventura stuff is good quality. Members have had issues with some of the earlier gear/customer service. I mean, all companies have issues, but ventura pops up repeatedly pal.
I'll be buying used and it wont be seeing heavy use so hopefully the moderate expense will be outweighed by enjoyment. But thanks for the heads up :yum:

Any recommendations welcome. The reason I was looking to the Ventura was size. With 2 adults and a toddler space is a huge factor.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Nik is right re the Ventura, whilst the issues seem to have settled down somewhat more recently I would still be a little wary and view all options first.

Tuff Trek sometimes have some used but good better quality tents available and its worth giving Dara a shout at Tuff Trek before you pull the trigger on the Ventura.
Alternatively do a shout on the various Facebook Pages or Groups and see if anyone is selling anything.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I'll be buying used and it wont be seeing heavy use so hopefully the moderate expense will be outweighed by enjoyment. But thanks for the heads up :yum:

Any recommendations welcome. The reason I was looking to the Ventura was size. With 2 adults and a toddler space is a huge factor.
Fold out roof tents whilst a bit of a faff to put up and take down do give you more livable space than the hard shells unless you look at the iCamper stuff which seems to bridge the gap between the 2.

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Fold out roof tents whilst a bit of a faff to put up and take down do give you more livable space than the hard shells unless you look at the iCamper stuff which seems to bridge the gap between the 2.
Love the iKamper stuff - especially the canopy roof setups but the budget won't stretch that far right now. And as you rightly note, liveable space is the main criteria with the toddler being in the mix.

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Nik is right re the Ventura, whilst the issues seem to have settled down somewhat more recently I would still be a little wary and view all options first.

Tuff Trek sometimes have some used but good better quality tents available and its worth giving Dara a shout at Tuff Trek before you pull the trigger on the Ventura.
Alternatively do a shout on the various Facebook Pages or Groups and see if anyone is selling anything.
Good call. Just had a look at Tuff Trek and hadn't realised they do a 1.4 equivalent. That could be an option for sure.

Similarly priced one on Ebay with annex. And I know the support Dara offers to the aftermarket is great.

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Afternoon all, just joined today, thought I would start with this section, I found this site by accident I was searching Shogun overland builds and came across a picture of Gravel Seekers build(what a nice vehicle) and here we are. This was a practice build on a budget and unfortunately its in the grave yard now anyway,
IMG_20200513_183834.jpg
IMG_20221016_093017~2.jpg
This is the new one, the plan was to have a few things done by now aluminium DIY build roof rack, wind deflectors, but such is life my dog Coco decided to bust her knee (TPLO surgery) 20% of the final bill ouch is all I can say but she's my buddy and needs must, so a length of Unistrut and some U blots just to get the roof box on for the holiday.
I'm looking forward to reading all the sections on here later on with a coffee and see other peoples builds for some ideas, need to keep it practical as its a daily drive wife two kids and yes the dog need to still get in.

Anyway off to have a read speak soon.

ATB Mick.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Mick,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

You will find pelnty of useful information here for fitting out your rig and getting out an explore. Check out the Rally Points for events and meetups in your area and meet other members in person if you like.

Nice Shogun. I guess, it is good basis for an overlanding rig. Enjoy.

Greetings from Germany,
Bjoern

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Afternoon all, just joined today, thought I would start with this section, I found this site by accident I was searching Shogun overland builds and came across a picture of Gravel Seekers build(what a nice vehicle) and here we are. This was a practice build on a budget and unfortunately its in the grave yard now anyway,
View attachment 254662
View attachment 254663
This is the new one, the plan was to have a few things done by now aluminium DIY build roof rack, wind deflectors, but such is life my dog Coco decided to bust her knee (TPLO surgery) 20% of the final bill ouch is all I can say but she's my buddy and needs must, so a length of Unistrut and some U blots just to get the roof box on for the holiday.
I'm looking forward to reading all the sections on here later on with a coffee and see other peoples builds for some ideas, need to keep it practical as its a daily drive wife two kids and yes the dog need to still get in.

ATB Mick.
Welcome

Life gets in the way but you get there eventually.

I've a busted knee and a 2yr old to contend with at the moment but plugging away gets me through.

Keep at it fella.

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Hi Mick,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

You will find pelnty of useful information here for fitting out your rig and getting out an explore. Check out the Rally Points for events and meetups in your area and meet other members in person if you like.

Nice Shogun. I guess, it is good basis for an overlanding rig. Enjoy.

Greetings from Germany,
Bjoern
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome and pointing me towards the rally point not been onto that part yet.

Reactions: El-Dracho

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Welcome

Life gets in the way but you get there eventually.

I've a busted knee and a 2yr old to contend with at the moment but plugging away gets me through.

Keep at it fella.
Thanks and hello Paul, its a pain but like i said needs must, I've used some of the gear out of my old car as it went straight in.
Scavenge, reuse and repurpose. I'm all about thar.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
View attachment 254662
View attachment 254663

ATB Mick.
Welcome to the mad house.
For all your OB build questions and support the forums are the place to be.
For general banter and day to day we also have a Facebook group and WhatsApp group.

As Bjoern said Rally Points will give you an idea of what’s on and where and feel free to create your own Rally Point for meets and trips etc.
The map is coming on and increasingly more and more POI’s and gpx tracks are being added and we have members throughout the U.K. who can assist not to mention the international members that can be a great support network.

Any question etc please give me a shout, I’m here to help you get the maximum benefit of your membership.

Dave

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Hi Dave and thanks for the welcome, I'm really happy I stumbled across the site, just having a good look around so much information on here it's mind blowing.

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Being active on the forum you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience to help and support you and where your knowledge and experience is just as important to share.
Hopefully catch up at a Rally Point soon.
Didn't see this reply for some reason I must have mist it sorry, Yes I really do hope so , I like the look of the Snowdonia sausage meet up LOL but I'm just not ready for it , saying that I'm in Pembrokeshire in the summer hols for 10 nights with the caravan I keep meaning to put a post on here for some easy trails in that part of the country.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

Being active on the forum you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience to help and support you and where your knowledge and experience is just as important to share.
Hopefully catch up at a Rally Point soon.
Didn't see this reply for some reason I must have mist it sorry, Yes I really do hope so , I like the look of the Snowdonia sausage meet up LOL but I'm just not ready for it , saying that I'm in Pembrokeshire in the summer hols for 10 nights with the caravan I keep meaning to put a post on here for some easy trails in that part of the country.
All u need for Wales Is a tent, sense of humour and a way to get there on the Sat. No problem with jumping in with someone else if you want to.. All the lane stuff will be quite easy.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hi Lee
good to see you here and welcome.

AO Show was more of a mudfest than show I think ;-)

Have a look through the forums etc and let me know if you have any questions.
We also have a region facebook page and whatsapp group you are more than happy to join.

Also remember other regional members have similar social media and again you are welcome to join in and reach out to them for support.

As I said at the show participation is key to getting the maximum benefit for your membership.

Look forward to catching p with you at a meet this year.