Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

This!

I went to Alaska in 2020 on a 10 week overlanding trip and of course needed to drive through Canada. I bought a relatively inexpensive pump action 12 gauge as that is allowed in Canada and along with the correct paperwork filled out ahead of time had no issues crossing legally. I had the Brenneke Black Magnum shells and was confident in being able to handle anything that came my way..

Interestingly, the only issue we had was in British Columbia where we stopped for the night was apparently on a path used by black bears. One came into our camp when we were preparing dinner and was pretty aggressive. While my wife was getting the 12 gauge ready in the camper I shot the bear with some bear spray and he took off running into the bushes snorting and growling the whole way. No harm, no fowl.

We’re going back to Canada this summer, this time exploring the Atlantic side, and will be doing the exact same thing.
Out of curiosity, how rough was getting your gun into Canada? We're looking to do a trip in the next year or two and I'd really feel better with my lever gun.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Out of curiosity, how rough was getting your gun into Canada? We're looking to do a trip in the next year or two and I'd really feel better with my lever gun.
I am also planning to make the trip through Canada into Alaska.
Here are some web sites to look at in regards to your question.

And in case you are going into Alaska

Enthusiast II

Okeechobee, FL, USA
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
Amen.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
And where do these weapons come from. NOT ALL FROM USA. just last month 4 AR 15s were stolen from a legal gun owner in NS. SO....YES this DOES keep Canadians safer. Sorry AR owners are butthurt. Get pellet versions...they offer the same feel, however the dont go bang.
I don't know bud, I once got shot with a .177 pellet by one of my cousins goofing around, it was decidely unpleasant and I gave him a black eye for doing it, but it isn't going to put down a violent threat from a criminal bent on doing me or my loved ones harm and it sure as the sun rises isn't going to dissuade an animal that has decided that I am either a threat or a snack. An AR-15 is not all that powerful as firearms go and wouldn't be even on my list of suitable woods defense weapons anyway. But I know they scare the maple syrup right out of you left wing loons. And the leftists in my Government are afraid of there own constituents having them, they should be, it keeps their shenanigans in check. It is after all the most important reason we own so many weapons, after all, we won't put up with a dictator wanna be like Trudeau down here and they know it. And no country is going to invade here without getting shot to peices, ask any Ukrainian what they think about "assault rifles" now, I bet they wish they had more. Canada used to be such a nice place. Not so much anymore. But I digress, a good 10mm double stack pistol like a Glock 20 would be a better choice in the bush for animal defense and "social" work but you can't have those in your silly country either.

Reactions: Arailt

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
As I said above it was relatively easy. I had the proper paperwork filled out ahead of time, waited for the RCMP officer to ask me if I had any weapons and I replied that I had a pump action shotgun and have the paperwork filled out. He then told me to pull the truck over and bring the paperwork inside which I did…paid the $25 Canadian fee and that was it.
Here is the website that goes into more details…

Keep in mind that literally thousands of hunters go to Canada each year so this isn’t as big a deal as some make it out to be. You just have to be absolutely certain that your weapon is not on either on their banned or restricted list. These generally include any pistols and semi automatic rifles etc.
I believe a lever action rifle with appropriate barrel length is OK.

They sometimes run a background check on you so if you have a DUI or other criminal conviction they may deny you entrance but that is separate from the weapon issue discussed here.

Edit to add - Be certain that your weapon is empty of any ammunition when going across the border as carrying a loaded weapon in Canada is verboten. I brought 2 boxes of shells (10 slugs) with me and kept them in their original box Although they never asked to see either the gun or ammunition but they certainly have the right to do so.

Last edited:

Offcamber

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Princeton, TX
Member #

I quit following gun laws when they started crapping on my rights with laws that made no sense...an AR pistol is legal but put a stock on it and its a felony? How does that make sense? Make it less concealable and it's illegal...stupidity.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

Not a stock a “brace. Also, how about suppressors because guns deadlier with them and SBR law in spite and that lethality goes DOWN the shorter you make an AR’s barrel son nothing actually makes sense. It’s all bullshit.

Offcamber

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Princeton, TX
Member #

Not a stock a “brace. Also, how about suppressors because guns deadlier with them and SBR law in spite and that lethality goes DOWN the shorter you make an AR’s barrel son nothing actually makes sense. It’s all bullshit.
I'm talking about stocks. Braces are still legal if you are a FPC member...I mean the second the atf started the brace nonsense everyone I know threw the brace in a drawer and slapped a full stock on their pistol..

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I quit following gun laws when they started crapping on my rights with laws that made no sense...an AR pistol is legal but put a stock on it and its a felony? How does that make sense? Make it less concealable and it's illegal...stupidity.
The best way to ensure laws are respected is to make them respectable. The inverse is also true, as evidenced by people's changing attitudes.

Unfortunately, carrying a concealed pistol is nearly impossible in Canada, even for off duty law enforcement officers, which is really quite insane, so at this point it becomes a risk/benefit question.

Currently, in my estimation, the risk presented by getting caught by the powers that be carrying a gun outweighs the likelihood of actually needing one for self defense away from home (at home is a whole different ball game). If the threat environment signifcantly changes, the question will be reevaluated, perhaps with a different outcome.

This is speaking of carrying a concealed pistol in every day life. It's perfectly legal to carry an unconcealed, non-restricted firearm out in the bush, and I almost always do.