Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Good on you for attempting to clarify and diffuse.

You pretty clearly state that your position on guns is driven by emotion. Think about that before you promote the notion that some else "doesn't need" any particular type of weapon.

This is much like the fuel costs and overlanding thread, just because one group of people have allowed themselves to become subjects and be stripped of their rights, doesn't mean any other group should.

Thanks for being honest whether we agree or not.
Thats exactly what I was doing afterwards. I am really chill in real life, what happend in Nova Scotia REALLY SET ME OFF. We think of that area as our second home and have friends who live in the exact area. I don't care one way or another what someone buys etc.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
No One knows what is better for you than you....in the world, weapons are not the problem it's the lack of resect or value for other people..it seems that the only person that is important is the individual speaking their mind...not so...everyone one has an opinion and every opinion has value...we might not agree and that is perfectly fine...your life is just as important as mine or anyone else...when human life is relegated to that of cattle then we see atrocities that should never happen....this seems to be an ever increasing trend in all societies...

If faced with a life threatening situation do you reach for the weapon or the unicorn....I'm going with the unicorn because in my world there aren't any life threatening situations. Joe said so.... Rainbow sprinkles, anyone?!
Come on man!

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Offcamber

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Princeton, TX
Member #

Questions for you on your build.
1.Is that a Law Tactical folding stick adapter or part of the AGP stock? Looks different from one on AGP website.
2. What scope are you running in that second photo?
3. Is that the 8” or 10” barrel version of the charger?
The stock is all from AGP, using the Tailhook Mod 2 modified to keep it legal as a pistol brace. The folding adapter is AGP's made of 6061 aluminum. It's a really nicer setup - if a bit pricey.

The scope is a Monstrum G3 1-4x24 FFP scope. It's only around $180 and I've been pretty impressed with it's quality. Most of my other rifles have higher end Vortex optics, but I took a chance on the Monstrum after reading a good review of it and I'm pretty happy.

The charger is the 10" version with the lightened barrel. Thinking of replacing it with a 8" carbon fiber barrel.

Suppressor is a Quietbore solvent trap, drilled out and Form 1'd.

Reactions: MiamiC70

Anazlu

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Texas 77845, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

I carry a Springfield Armory XDM9 Everyday as apart of my job, and while off work. So Ill definitely be carrying on camping trips, and depending on where the trip might be too, Id bring along a rifle If I felt it was needed.

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

Not to fuel the controvers...

I carry either an SA .45XDM or CZ Shadow2 on my body when camping. A rifle at arms reach. 2 legged critters are the more threatenIng. But I had a dog go sniff out a badger hole while we were setting up camp. The pup came running up yipping and holloring with the badger in tow. Luckily the badger stopped just short of the firing line where my pops and I had taken aim at the badger. No shots were fired, I think the badger was more defending its hole than it was aggressing the dog.

All of this talk about air rifles... I’m going to go shopping. It sounds to me like a compromise for target practice.. I’m not sure that it will replace a .308 at 600 yards. Maybe so.

My question is for those who carry at the campsite, do you open carry or concealed? Have you ever had anyone, park ranger or otherwise call you out on it?

Anazlu

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

I always conceal carry outside of work. It gives me the ability to choice when to use my violence of action.

At my job I'm open carrying, but my uniform gives away that I'm armed and an attorney figure. So being concealed has no benefits there.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I always conceal carry outside of work. It gives me the ability to choice when to use my violence of action.

At my job I'm open carrying, but my uniform gives away that I'm armed and an attorney figure. So being concealed has no benefits there.
You're a gun totin' uniformed attorney?

Dammit boy, that is like the trifecta of hate triggering circumstances right there.

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Not to fuel the controvers...

I carry either an SA .45XDM or CZ Shadow2 on my body when camping. A rifle at arms reach. 2 legged critters are the more threatenIng. But I had a dog go sniff out a badger hole while we were setting up camp. The pup came running up yipping and holloring with the badger in tow. Luckily the badger stopped just short of the firing line where my pops and I had taken aim at the badger. No shots were fired, I think the badger was more defending its hole than it was aggressing the dog.

All of this talk about air rifles... I’m going to go shopping. It sounds to me like a compromise for target practice.. I’m not sure that it will replace a .308 at 600 yards. Maybe so.

My question is for those who carry at the campsite, do you open carry or concealed? Have you ever had anyone, park ranger or otherwise call you out on it?
One time in the back country of Glacier NP we were on our last day on the trail and met the back country head ranger. He was interested in how our trip went and the conditions of the trails we had hiked. We were all open carrying, as was he, he asked about the guns out of curiosity as to what we were carrying and a reminder that discharging a weapon in the park would be illegal. Carrying is not.

Last edited:

Anazlu

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Horton
Member #

You're a gun totin' uniformed attorney?

Dammit boy, that is like the trifecta of hate triggering circumstances right there.
No I'm not that bad. I'm just an Uniformed Armed Security for a medium sized Airport.

Reactions: Ubiety

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.
Cain killed Able with a stone! It’s not the tool, it’s the person behind it. Everything you mentioned in your arsenal can take a life.

Reactions: grubworm and Ubiety

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Bear spray killed a Capitol policeman during the Jan 6 assault on congress. Use MACE/Pepper spray on people. However, I also carry a 12ga double barrel shotgun and a 44mag revolver loaded with 2 ball rounds and 4 micro bird shot. I generally don't carry them while hiking and make do with the bear spray.... or run faster than the other guys. :mask:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Cain killed Able with a stone! It’s not the tool, it’s the person behind it. Everything you mentioned in your arsenal can take a life.
Very true. Many objects can be deadly weapons in the hands of the right person, and in fact, at least in Canada, the most common murder weapons are knives, fists and cordage of some kind or other.

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.
I find it a rather bold statement for one to vehemently state that a person he does not know does or does not need something, be it a firearm or otherwise, and doing such is a foundational behavior of a tyrant. But in truth, i do not believe it is a matter of "need" at all. Its a question of freedom and I find your lack of such deeply troubling. I have never found so called "ar-15 style crap" to be any more dangerous than an other centerfire rifle or shotgun, of which it appears you own several. When the founders of the American Republic created the Bill of Rights, it is very doubtful that defense against various game species was even so much as a far flung consideration. But if there's anything I've learned over the past decade, its that I have a better chance of seeing a God than to change anyone's opinion on the matter. Whether I agree or completely and totally disagree with your opinion, I can appreciate a fellow man of conviction when I meet one. Skál.

Reactions: Neuvik

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

All day every day.

This is the difference between reasonable people and unreasonable people.

Reasonable people : Own, carry, wear whatever you want.

Unreasonable people :You don't need that because I said so.
Replying just so I can try to "like" the reply, thereby "liking" this statement twice. You're welcome to the guy who keeps suggesting we be able to like posts twice

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Well. I cant "like" my own reply, but everyone else can "like" that post by @bgenlvtex , and then "like" this reply.
In all fairness he has walked that back and has a slightly different outlook.

I don't think he needs to be making more explanations, or soaking up any more abuse.

Sometimes people say things that seem right in the moment but maybe aren't quite.

Standing up, owning a statement and saying "Ok, that wasn't quite right" is a trait of a virtuous man and that is what @Autism Family Travels did.

I appreciate that and respect that.