Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Correct, the culture needs to change. Criminals however, rarely, very rarely, in fact never, partake in mass killings, nor are criminals killing folks during a crime of passion. It’s always the guy/gal or kids that have zero criminal record. Criminals, on the other hand, generally end up killing one another, unfortunately with occasional collateral damage.
Your post is funny, by definition criminals murder others, that is what makes them a criminal. Killing people by a strict definition is not always murder. But that being said I agree with you and understand what you meant
. :)

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Casull is no joke. But as I approach 70, it’s a hard round at bear loads.
I also think .45LC is a nice round. If yours can take advantage of +p round, Buffalo Bore has a 325 grain flat nose that is really nice.
The pandemic had me going on the water alone... a rogue wave... well... I’m sure we’ve a;l been through that.
I have a very good friend who grew up in Alaska, he says a mother moose is to be feared most, will these rounds work for her as well?

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I have a very good friend who grew up in Alaska, he says a mother moose is to be feared most, will these rounds work for her as well?
Like many here, I go out of my way to avoid having an incident. But I believe so enough to carry the Governor on my 72 bag.
right after she gives birth, a moose is extremely aggressive. Will attack immediately. In town they can pop up on your property like magic. I carry a 9 and the Governor.
A year ago or so, IIRC, a couple and their daughter were at Kincade Park not too far from here. An aggressive female attacked them. He shot multiple 9mm rounds and she just ran off. Body was never found. They were not seriously hurt, but a moose can kill you easily too.
[edit] the first year I lived here, I would take my dogs to a big dog park near here. Until a 3,000 usd encounter between the big guy and a moose.

Attachments

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
The ammunition looks special to me. Maybe not the best for range, but more impact I guess? I didnt see that kind of ammunition here in switzerland.

Nice tiny gun anyway!

tripping
Tiny is releative I guess. When your shoot a 400gr .454 Casull round, which you need to do so you won’t be surprised when it fires, your hand and wrist feel it. I’m almost 69...

No, this not range ammo. It’s pretty expensive. It’s meant for when you absolutely, positively have to stop something. A bear at 30 yards will cover that distance in a couple-three seconds. Two seconds to draw, unsafety, aim, fire... but it will penetrate anything I’d be shooting. I shoot a box a year of this specific ammo. Crying... A number of the hunting guides up here have moved to 10mm. First persons I’ve talked to, outside of hunting bear, got me hooked on the Brenneke Black Magic Magnum in 12 gauge. Just don’t let it get wet.

10mm Auto 140gr. Xtreme Penetrator® Solid Monolithic Hunting & Self Defense Ammo

Reactions: Ubiety

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Interesting, I thought a male in rut were the "craziest" ones. Regardless, moose are big and scary and to be respected... Thanks!
That too. But the first few months after a cow gives birth she’s hyper vigilant and aggressive. Protecting her kid from easy predation.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Tiny is releative I guess. When your shoot a 400gr .454 Casull round, which you need to do so you won’t be surprised when it fires, your hand and wrist feel it. I’m almost 69...
The day that I picked up mine I noticed an article where a teen shot one of the same caliber, his arm buckled and the pistol came up and smacked him in the head killing him. From the impact of the pistol on his noggin... Not your "everyday" round but I keep some in stock for "special occasions".

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Your post is funny, by definition criminals murder others, that is what makes them a criminal. Killing people by a strict definition is not always murder. But that being said I agree with you and understand what you meant
. :)
Yea, should’ve clarified, known criminals with records or suspicion of crimes.. you see that a hole in Georgia. 21 years old, no previous record. That’s how it always goes.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Yea, should’ve clarified, known criminals with records or suspicion of crimes.. you see that a hole in Georgia. 21 years old, no previous record. That’s how it always goes.
It your 21 years or older, and don’t have a record, you’re entitled.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

[/QUOTE]

I should say "had" - that was before the gun safe fell overboard on that unfortunate halibut fishing expedition.
[/QUOTE]

Around here we get "killer bass" coming up the coast in the spring. Striper Bass's more perturbed brethren

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
The day that I picked up mine I noticed an article where a teen shot one of the same caliber, his arm buckled and the pistol came up and smacked him in the head killing him. From the impact of the pistol on his noggin... Not your "everyday" round but I keep some in stock for "special occasions".
First time I shot the 400gr at the range, my first thought was, “ please don’t look stupid...”

• Haha

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I had a 460 s&w for a while. Thought if I put a scope on it that it would be great for hunting deer or elk. The challenge of handgun hunting was going to be awesome. Until I shot it. It wasn’t much fun. 12 shots ruined a leupold fixed 4 power scope. With the 454s in it as a light load it was not bad. But loaded for elk I did not enjoy it. I finally traded it for a 300 win. I came out way ahead on that deal.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
It your 21 years or older, and don’t have a record, you’re entitled.
As an aside... I'm a nurse with over 30 years experience. Many of those years were spent in the ICU. What brings a lot of business to the ICU? What causes (or is a direct cause) of a huge amount of deaths in the USA? Alcohol. Alcohol related car wrecks & motorcycle wrecks & boating accidents; cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholic encephalopathy, doing stupid stuff while drunk... I could go on.

And you can be 21 years old to legally buy alcohol, and then get drunk, and kill someone with your car. Or slowly kill yourself by overdrinking. (We won't even get into the results of living with an abusive alcoholic parent or spouse/significant other) But I haven't heard much talk of banning alcohol. Nobody is testifying in front of congress that their son/daughter was killed by a drunk driver (which I'm not trying to downplay in any way - I've seen the dead and ruined lives), and that we need to ban alcohol so it doesn't happen to someone else. Or holding distilleries responsible/liable for selling a product that leads to someone's death.

Folks with drunk driving convictions continue to drive drunk and kill folks (sadly) no matter what the laws say. I haven't heard of any car manufacturer being sued in any of these cases (since technically it was the car that killed someone, not the drunk person actually driving the car). They rightly blame the person behind the wheel in drunk driving cases.

Am I suggesting bringing back prohibition? NO. The vast majority of people who drink never have an issue with their alcohol drinking their whole lives.

But what if someone tried using the exact same arguments folks use to try to get guns banned (which is their ultimate objective) to try and get alcohol banned? That would be interesting to watch.

The folks wanting to ban guns aren't concerned about lives - they use that as a cover. They want to ban guns. They play on your sympathies. Death by a thousand cuts is how they're going to go about it, unless we fight back.

Sorry - had to get that off my chest.

I carry while camping. Or I did till I had that kayak incident where it capsized and I lost my favorite handgun in the deep water.

Last edited:

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
As an aside... I'm a nurse with over 30 years experience. Many of those years were spend in the ICU. What brings a lot of business to the ICU? Alcohol. Alcohol related car wrecks & motorcycle wrecks & boating accidents; cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholic encephalopathy, doing stupid stuff while drunk... I could go on.

And you can be 21 years old to legally buy alcohol, and then get drunk, and kill someone with your car. Or slowly kill yourself by overdrinking. (We won't even get into the results of living with an abusive alcoholic parent) But I haven't heard much talk of banning alcohol. Nobody is testifying in front of congress that their son/daughter was killed by a drunk driver (which I'm not trying to downplay in any way - I've seen the dead), and that we need to ban alcohol so it doesn't happen to someone else. Or holding distilleries responsible/liable for selling a product that leads to someone's death.

Folks with drunk driving convictions continue to drive drunk and kill folks. I haven't heard of any car manufacturer being sued in any of these cases (since technically it was the car that killed someone, not the drunk person actually driving the car).

The folks wanting to ban guns aren't concerned about lives - they use that as a cover. They want to ban guns. Death by a thousand cuts is how they're going to go about it.

I carry while camping. Or I did till I had that kayak incident where it capsized and I lost my favorite handgun in the deep water.
Makes perfect sense._

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

As an aside... I'm a nurse with over 30 years experience. Many of those years were spend in the ICU. What brings a lot of business to the ICU? Alcohol. Alcohol related car wrecks & motorcycle wrecks & boating accidents; cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholic encephalopathy, doing stupid stuff while drunk... I could go on.

And you can be 21 years old to legally buy alcohol, and then get drunk, and kill someone with your car. Or slowly kill yourself by overdrinking. (We won't even get into the results of living with an abusive alcoholic parent) But I haven't heard much talk of banning alcohol. Nobody is testifying in front of congress that their son/daughter was killed by a drunk driver (which I'm not trying to downplay in any way - I've seen the dead), and that we need to ban alcohol so it doesn't happen to someone else. Or holding distilleries responsible/liable for selling a product that leads to someone's death.

Folks with drunk driving convictions continue to drive drunk and kill folks. I haven't heard of any car manufacturer being sued in any of these cases (since technically it was the car that killed someone, not the drunk person actually driving the car).

The folks wanting to ban guns aren't concerned about lives - they use that as a cover. They want to ban guns. Death by a thousand cuts is how they're going to go about it.

Thank you for putting into words what responsible gun owners have been thinking for far too long.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

As an aside... I'm a nurse with over 30 years experience. Many of those years were spent in the ICU. What brings a lot of business to the ICU? What causes (or is a direct cause) of a huge amount of deaths in the USA? Alcohol. Alcohol related car wrecks & motorcycle wrecks & boating accidents; cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholic encephalopathy, doing stupid stuff while drunk... I could go on.

And you can be 21 years old to legally buy alcohol, and then get drunk, and kill someone with your car. Or slowly kill yourself by overdrinking. (We won't even get into the results of living with an abusive alcoholic parent or spouse/significant other) But I haven't heard much talk of banning alcohol. Nobody is testifying in front of congress that their son/daughter was killed by a drunk driver (which I'm not trying to downplay in any way - I've seen the dead and ruined lives), and that we need to ban alcohol so it doesn't happen to someone else. Or holding distilleries responsible/liable for selling a product that leads to someone's death.

Folks with drunk driving convictions continue to drive drunk and kill folks (sadly) no matter what the laws say. I haven't heard of any car manufacturer being sued in any of these cases (since technically it was the car that killed someone, not the drunk person actually driving the car). They rightly blame the person behind the wheel in drunk driving cases.

Am I suggesting bringing back prohibition? NO. The vast majority of people who drink never have an issue with their alcohol drinking their whole lives.

But what if someone tried using the exact same arguments folks use to try to get guns banned (which is their ultimate objective) to try and get alcohol banned? That would be interesting to watch.

The folks wanting to ban guns aren't concerned about lives - they use that as a cover. They want to ban guns. They play on your sympathies. Death by a thousand cuts is how they're going to go about it, unless we fight back.

I'm mostly in agreement with you, except people have sued the adult beverage companies, groups like MADD have tried to raise the drinking age by testifying in front of Congress. And bars, bartenders and even parents have been sued or criminally charged when providing alcohol.

But you are 100% right, they go after the people involved, not banning alcohol or cars - the use of neither of which is specifically protected by the Constitution, by the way. Very good point

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

Most people try to look at this logically and wonder why things don't make "sense". It doesn't make sense to the average citizen, but it makes perfect sense to politicians and lobbyists. Think about how a politician like Nancy Pelosi makes over $100K a year, been in office right at 33 years and some how has a net worth of well over 100 million dollars. Special interest groups and lobbyists PAY to have certain laws enacted and others ignored. Alcohol and Tobacco are HUGE money makers. The sales alone are well into the billions yearly and then there is money being made off of incarceration of people driving drunk and fighting and getting into trouble due to alcohol and then there are millions made off of alcohol rehab, etc. Big money and big taxes collected by the government.

The Second Amendment is to guarantee gun owner rights to stand up to a tyrannical government...owing guns for hunting and sport was considered a given at that time. An oppressive and controlling government sure doesn't want its citizens having anything that can be used against them, so of course guns will be targeted. I buy a pistol for $500 and maybe pay $45 in tax. The government gets a measly $45 and I now have a gun. There isn't much money being made there and I now have the power to defend myself. Definitely not in the government's best interest, so of course there will be more and more reasons made up in order to ban guns.

People seem so perplexed as to why things are happening like they are. Hell, if I was a crooked-assed government, I would be doing the exact same thing. I totally get where the government is coming from. Just as a regular ole citizen that I am, I want more money for me and less guns for government. Government wins because they are a bunch of bad folk who are united together in what they do...US citizens are definitely divided and too busy fighting each other over how many genders there are and what words to call each other. Bad people are united and the good people are divided and preoccupied with things that are entertaining and distracting. And I know I'm not one to talk. I tried getting involved years ago and wrote my state rep on things and basically got ignored, so I just ended up falling inline with everyone else. I definitely don't agree with or like what's happening, but I do understand it.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Most people try to look at this logically and wonder why things don't make "sense". It doesn't make sense to the average citizen, but it makes perfect sense to politicians and lobbyists. Think about how a politician like Nancy Pelosi makes over $100K a year, been in office right at 33 years and some how has a net worth of well over 100 million dollars. Special interest groups and lobbyists PAY to have certain laws enacted and others ignored. Alcohol and Tobacco are HUGE money makers. The sales alone are well into the billions yearly and then there is money being made off of incarceration of people driving drunk and fighting and getting into trouble due to alcohol and then there are millions made off of alcohol rehab, etc. Big money and big taxes collected by the government.

The Second Amendment is to guarantee gun owner rights to stand up to a tyrannical government...owing guns for hunting and sport was considered a given at that time. An oppressive and controlling government sure doesn't want its citizens having anything that can be used against them, so of course guns will be targeted. I buy a pistol for $500 and maybe pay $45 in tax. The government gets a measly $45 and I now have a gun. There isn't much money being made there and I now have the power to defend myself. Definitely not in the government's best interest, so of course there will be more and more reasons made up in order to ban guns.

People seem so perplexed as to why things are happening like they are. Hell, if I was a crooked-assed government, I would be doing the exact same thing. I totally get where the government is coming from. Just as a regular ole citizen that I am, I want more money for me and less guns for government. Government wins because they are a bunch of bad folk who are united together in what they do...US citizens are definitely divided and too busy fighting each other over how many genders there are and what words to call each other. Bad people are united and the good people are divided and preoccupied with things that are entertaining and distracting. And I know I'm not one to talk. I tried getting involved years ago and wrote my state rep on things and basically got ignored, so I just ended up falling inline with everyone else. I definitely don't agree with or like what's happening, but I do understand it.
There should be a way to like a post more than once.

The thing that scares me isn’t losing my guns. It’s the shady underhanded way in which they will become illegal that worries me. It’ll be a back door rider on a bill that has no relation to firearms. Or it will sneak in during a special session held at 1 am on a Sunday night.

If you think that can’t happen look at the state of Nevada and their mining tax proposal. It was put on the agenda at 1 am on a Sunday when nothing against it would be brought up. And “our” governor will make it sound great to the people with no stake in the game. Reno and Vegas will vote to pass it and northern Nevada will become a great big ghost town.

It will happen the same way with firearms. Again, if you don’t think so, ask yourself what part of your state controls the rest? Where are there alliances? The line between urban and rural is clearly drawn when you look at political affiliation. Everyone in Nevada that has heard of this bill, and doesn’t understand the ramifications of it, reads it and thinks there will be royalty checks for everyone. $50 dollars per person for one year, will cripple this state. After that year mining will pull out of Nevada. No business means no taxes means no royalties for anyone. How much would it take to get the majorities of our controlling populations to vote against the gun?

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

It isn’t the government that worries me anymore. It’s the uneducated masses that enable them that scare me. Sorry for the rant. It happens when something sets me off. And @grubworm’s post got me thinking about it.