Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Wondering why no one mention to carry ear protection somewhere hidden.

Who would use his glock in his rig without? You will fight tinnitus for the rest of your life.

That is a high pricy to fight against a bear who try to steal your trash...

Personally, If I detect a bear in my camp, I would look for my smartphone for taking some nice shots, rather than use any weapons? I`m the one with time, or?

If it’s allowed, you can carry a gun for shure. But please add too decent earprotection :yum:

But well written @ ThundahBeagle!

4x4tripping.
Thank you, Tripping. I've not seen a bear up close, but if I had my choice I'd rather take pictures as well.

Plus, the noise from a firearm isnt so bad when you are outside in an open area, but yes, ear protection is still advised.

Reactions: freak4life

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
engaging a wild predator is something I want to avoid at all costs. I’m the incursion into their domain. I keep track of my dogs for that same reason. I try not to leave anything out that will trigger their curiosity. At first sign, like someone said, I will grab a camera to take pics. Uneventful. You kill a bear, Fish and Game has to be called, they investigate and make a ruling. And you killed a bear who’s only crime was-being a bear. I say bear cause here in Alaska they can pop up on your property.

For people? I just saw this today... I am researching... i kinda like?

Let us know how that works and all. Interdasting!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hold on, MRose...I respect you, and I respect your position here. However...YOU gave my comment a THUMBS UP!?!?! And when someone mentioned on a previous page they thought the thread should be deleted, you disagreed because everyone was being civil and not name calling. Was I not civil? Is there no room for civil, polite discussion among those who disagree? There are "What tire should I buy?" and "Are front lockers necessary or not?" threads that have gotten rougher than this.
I will take this to DM.

Reactions: freak4life

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Always, Sig P365XL is latest carry gun. Sig P320 at the house and AR15 (soon to be lost lol)
You probably won’t believe this, but I lost mine too. It was a boating accident. My m1 Garand and mini 14 were with with them. Maybe a few others.
Yea mine went down a well, or was it a river...I forget.....

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Thank you, Tripping. I've not seen a bear up close, but if I had my choice I'd rather take pictures as well.

Plus, the noise from a firearm isnt so bad when you are outside in an open area, but yes, ear protection is still advised.
There is a phenomenon called hearing inclusion that when you are involved in a shooting you will not hear the sound, that is why even seasoned LEO's have trouble remembering how shots they fired. That being said however, if there is a person with you and they are not juiced up on adrenaline then,,,,,,,, that is partly why I have a can on my G21. :). But, better deaf than dead.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I had no idea you could take a revolver into Canada. Can you carry it, or does it have to stay packed away and locked up separate from ammo?
You can carry it through Canada if it is locked in a case, if you are transiting or attending a range event. YOU CAN NOT have on your person or outside the locked case at anyplace other than an approved range. Expect a long legal fight and big bills if you break that rule, you will also loose your hand gun.

Point any firearm at a person and expect some jail time, permanent loss of ability to cross the Canadian border and really big legal bills. These hiding firearms and playing dumb is really bad idea, unless you are very lucky you will be treated as a gun smuggler with possible loss of your vehicle and everything in it, the border is basically becoming zero tolerance for that.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

You probably won’t believe this, but I lost mine too. It was a boating accident. My m1 Garand and mini 14 were with with them. Maybe a few others.
Something I’ve noticed is that most gun owners, and especially those of us in states like California, are nautically deficient. I’ve never heard of so many boating accidents in one group before. ;)

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Something I’ve noticed is that most gun owners, and especially those of us in states like California, are nautically deficient. I’ve never heard of so many boating accidents in one group before. ;)
Its even better than boating accidents. It was an epic battle. Man vs kraken. Many boats and lots of firearms were lost. Nobody really got hurt. I got some water in my eye. In the end there was no proof the battle even took place. Everyone ate calamari, had a few drinks, and went home.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You must be fun at parties. Guys, guys....pepper spray me! ha ha.
No, I don’t like getting sprayed, and neither do the people spraying me...

Let me explain HOW I found out that I was immune to pepper spray.
In Basic Training new recruits are forced to go into a room full of tear gas with a gas mask on. While in the room recruits are told to unmask and do several tasks to show signs of the tear gas working and then are discharged from the building.
When it was my turn to unmask, the room was so full of the gas I could barely see my feet. I took a huge breath of filtered air as I prepared for unmasking and completing my tasks.
Well the instructor noticed this so he made sure to increase my task list to make me run out of air. But after running out of air I took a deep breat of putrid gas and continued on preforming my spasms. After about 15 minutes of Cardio, screaming the company motto, reciting the “Soldier’s Creed”, and many more tasks they finally let me walk out of the room.
My eyes were watery and I had a slight burning in my throat, but nothing too horrible. I also had a burning sensation on my face. So once outside I drank a few gulps of water and doused my head with the reminder of my water from my canteen. When I looked around at my comrades I noticed all of them had snot running out of their noses and several were puking... all the people that came out after me (to include the instructors) were puking because the smoke was so thick after they finished off the pellets on me.

My story from Basic Training fallowed me my whole military career. One time a soldier thought it would be funny to spray me with pepper spray at a party... I let him empty the can on me... then called the ambulance... yea he wasn’t in too good of shape for a few weeks. And I had to go back to the gas chamber so that a psychologist could determine that the gas makes me angry and not subdued. Had I known the guy was going to spray me, maybe the outcome would have been different, but sneak attack with the pepper spray made me very angry and very hostile.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF

What a coincidence. I lost mine years ago in the same manner! It was tragic.....

Reactions: Ubiety