Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Condition 3 is what im assuming he's talking about.
Yeah, it's a weird quirk of the Utah law. It really doesn't apply to me as I am LE, so I shouldn't have used "I", but was trying to illustrate a civilian carrying. Apparently, you can open carry in Utah without a permit but only if you don't have a round chambered. Full mags are ok (pistols not ok?) IDK. If you have a permit, you are good to go. I miss Alaska, was much simpler up there.
California used to be similar with regards to open carry.

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Well, it can get kinda complicated. I won't try and dissect all of the various laws, but will make an attempt to tackle two categories, both pertaining to handguns and to my specific region of the country - the Mountain West
I recently moved to AZ a year ago last April. (Open Carry / no license required). Went to the Expo in Flagstaff with some OB members from SW Region, many from southern CA. They didn't seem to appreciate my camo clothes or the fact that I was concealed carrying. I was asked if I was armed and when I showed they freaked. Needless to say I was not appreciated for my efforts from then on by those few. Nice to know not all people have such a narrow perspective. I got your back, if ever you need me.

I am trained and a card carrying IDPA shooter. But I am having trouble finding others in my area who share my methods / motives...

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

@GrundleJuice A handgun is generally not recommended for any use against larger predator's, regardless of caliber.

For bear in in BC I carry rifled slugs for my 12 gauge, but I have single ball rubber slug as my 1st round. The rubber round has been found work well against bluff charges that might go either way with black bears, in grizzly country it is all bear slugs.
Even with bear slugs it is suggested you aim for the shoulders, given the speed bears travel and the short range if they are actually charging they will likely keep coming if hit center of mass.
I feel you Bro, but here in the populace, I feel the need to be secure against those two legged predators. And in most cases a handgun is the right tool for the job.

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Yeah, it's a weird quirk of the Utah law. It really doesn't apply to me as I am LE, so I shouldn't have used "I", but was trying to illustrate a civilian carrying. Apparently, you can open carry in Utah without a permit but only if you don't have a round chambered. Full mags are ok (pistols not ok?) IDK. If you have a permit, you are good to go. I miss Alaska, was much simpler up there.
I grew up in AK, raised a Family in Kenai

Reactions: K-G

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Edit - I should note that this isn't really directed at the OP, or any one in particular. Just putting my thoughts out there - for better or worse.
//END RANT
Glock 36 in 45ACP is a favorite among LE as well and that is what I carry. 9mm - great penetration / 45ACP great knockdown power. I like it also for a more forgiving recoil. I tried them all 9mm, 40, 357sig and settled on the old military preferred round.

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

That info makes me think bear spray is the best thing to carry and leaving the firearms at home is the choice to make for the geographic areas I plan to travel. Hmmmm.... Things to consider.

Thanks for the reply!
I share your concern that way too many people have not had experience with bears and put way too much trust in the spray can. For a first attempt @ a curious animal looking for a handout, maybe. But for me the first round of defense in an attack or charging bear, will never be from a spray can, but instead be of a more lethal persuasion. Warning shot then it's time to get serious with this life and death threat. Gentle persuasion is a great idea, but a 500 pound Badger (Bear) is nothing to fool around with.

Reactions: M Rose and 64Trvlr

ELY-9999

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Parker, AZ, USA
First Name
ELIYAHU
Last Name
YHWH
Member #

Ammoland looked into this and the numbers surprised many folks. Not a true study but it seems as though even 9mm is capable of ending encounters.

That is some really good factual information you shared. Thank you it just might save some lives.
People who live / visit in Bear country should really familiarize themselves with their local environment and it's many members.

A good read for some reality checking:
(I knew and worked with one of the guys attacked in this book)

Reactions: 510Steve

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I agree with most of what you said but I am curious about what you call "an open chamber". In my time in the military, working with the Feds, or as an instructor I have never heard of that.
In Oregon it used to be required (unsure if the law still applies) to carry long guns in a vehicle with the chamber open, or bolt to the rear, so quick inspection shows that the firearm is clear of ammo.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Weather you carry or not should be nobody’s business but your own, and should never be announced, let alone posted on the internet. This thread was clearly started by someone looking to virtue signal and start an argument and he got what he was looking for. Smh

I thought OB was better than this. Moderator should terminate this thread.

Reactions: Haminacan

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Weather you carry or not should be nobody’s business but your own, and should never be announced, let alone posted on the internet. This thread was clearly started by someone looking to virtue signal and start an argument and he got what he was looking for. Smh

What am I missing here... this thread has been very civil, no name calling, and has actually stayed on topic quite well.. some feathers were ruffled early on in the thread, but it’s smoothed out quite well. And lots of great information shared wether a person likes guns or not. And personally I feel that @Jim SoG has better things to do than come in here and shut down this thread.

With that,
Kudos to those of you who are able to check your feelings at the door and keep the thread going on topic.

I pack when I camp... I have posted my reasons elsewhere so I won’t post here...

My favorite trail guns that I carry are my Ruger NM Blackhawk .357/9mm and my Henry Big Boy .357... the .357 is an amazing round that will stop anything out there to almost include a Tank.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

NO. It wasn't. It should have been made clear that I should have said IN CANADA what do people carry to protect them against bears. If you saw it that way, you are mistaken. Yes, I think AR style guns are silly, however, firearms have their place in the backcountry. I am trying to find something that's legal in Canada to pack that small and will make a black bear think twice about coming closer.

Reactions: PCO6

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
I'm never too worried about black bears. I consider myself fortunate if I ever see one while hiking. Grizzlys kinda scare me. Too irritable and unpredictable. Black bears run, Grizzlys attack. There are exceptions to any rule. Bears, people, whatever.

I'm fortunate to live in Maine where the Bill of Rights are still generally followed and respected. No firearms registration and Constitutional carry.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'm never too worried about black bears. I consider myself fortunate if I ever see one while hiking. Grizzlys kinda scare me. Too irritable and unpredictable. Black bears run, Grizzlys attack. There are exceptions to any rule. Bears, people, whatever.

I'm fortunate to live in Maine where the Bill of Rights are still generally followed and respected. No firearms registration and Constitutional carry.
That has been my experience too. Black bears don't want to be messing around with people, but there could come a time. I have always seen them leave the area. But, Last year on the ranger, my wife and I came upon mommy and 2 cubs. That got me a little spooked. We were in a very narrow trail so there was no where to go but back.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Key in dealing with wild animals: "unpredictable"
This is the big thing for me. Sure, many animals are more afraid of you but some aren't and you're not even going to fight off a large wild dog let alone a bear without some injury. If bear spray works 9/10 times, that's great as long as you aren't #10. Until there's something entirely effective, I'll always have bear spray left hand and something redundant of the .357 variety in my right.

My first experience with black bears was a mom and two cubs. Had we taken two more steps before realizing where they were, It's possible I wouldn't be typing this today because it was in CA and unable to carry my revolver.

Last edited:

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

NO. It wasn't. It should have been made clear that I should have said IN CANADA what do people carry to protect them against bears. If you saw it that way, you are mistaken. Yes, I think AR style guns are silly, however, firearms have their place in the backcountry. I am trying to find something that's legal in Canada to pack that small and will make a black bear think twice about coming closer.
Im glad you agree with me. If your first post read “IN CANADA what do people carry to protect them against bears” this thread would have been a lot different. The answer would have been simple, bear spray or bang would “make a black bear think twice about coming closer”. Firearms may have never been brought up because of your laws.
However, in your first few responses & through this thread you bring up “silly AR style guns”. You say you didn’t start this thread to talk about that, but you bring it up multiple times? Just sayin.
Im not upset with anything or anyone here, just my “feeling” that it’s “silly” to discuss personal firearms online and your revised topic would have been much more “on target”. I stand by my previous post.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I agree. If your first post read “IN CANADA what do people carry to protect them against bears” this thread would have been a lot different. The answer would have been simple, bear spray or bang would “make a black bear think twice about coming closer”. Firearms may have never been brought up because of your laws.
However, in your first few responses & through this thread you bring up “silly AR style guns”. You say you didn’t start this thread to talk about that, but you bring it up multiple times? Just sayin.
Im not upset with anything or anyone here, just my “feeling” that it’s “silly” to discuss personal firearms online and your revised topic would have been much more “on target”. I stand by my previous post.
As I stated. It was not started to discuss that. It went that way in the beginning, and I Dropped it. Hopefully, you will too!

Reactions: kcTrek19

kcTrek19

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

massachusetts
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Sorber
Member #

I live in the north east coast. I carry every day, smith and wesson shield 40 caliber. I also use the aliengear holster system as it allows me to pull my gun and half the holster off and lock it into a mount i have in my crosstrek. I also have a gun box in my car to secure it. But to each there own on guns and gun safety, i know its a crazy topic especially these days. Although i do have a 7 year old that loves to adventure, and the area i live in i've had a mountain lion get to close to me outside my house. I've had 3-4 incidents of my son being in the back yard and a few bears have ran by within 40 feet of him. But if your not into carrying a gun, a can of bear spray a loud whistle will at least deter most things

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
In Oregon it used to be required (unsure if the law still applies) to carry long guns in a vehicle with the chamber open, or bolt to the rear, so quick inspection shows that the firearm is clear of ammo.
In NEVADA, and most states, if not all?????....(an exception would be in the North East states and probably a few others of a more liberal bent) , require long guns to be empty of a round in the chamber, while being transported by vehicle. In NEVADA, the magazine can be charged (full) with cartridges, again with an empty chamber. This can be a contention where some officers would use that as breaking the law, even though it is a state statue. Hunting license pamphlets clearly state the law and statute number/ prohibitions. City LEO's are most likely to be in this category.

Here we have black Bears/cougars/coyotes, none of them to be too concerned with, when outdoors. The bears are in relative low population areas with basically low numbers. The cougers are of more concern and here in southern Nevada, they are known to come into the city, by way of the big drainage channels. The coyote is the animal that could be of the most concern. Where 1 is dismissed, 2-3 are to be watched, and 4-5 are a pack,, and can be considered dangerous. As they get much more courageous in numbers.

This has been an interesting thread, with widely held view's that cover a wide field of thought. As some have mentioned, your AO should dictate what you feel as necessary for the safety to you and your families protection. Chose wrong and .......you know the possible outcome. Circumstances are different each time, and what worked for someone, might not for another, with a similar encounter.:coldsweat: