Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So, what tire pressure do you run on the road / tarmac / asphalt?

As you might know I got my 120 about a month ago and with a 2 week holiday coming up with quite a few trips to be done I want to check my tire pressure to be sure I’m good to go.

But what should it be? The manual says 2.0 bar (or about 29 PSI). But that seems a bit low to me? Stock tire size is 265/65 but I’m running BFG KO A/T in 265/70 no idea if that changes things?
I’m thinking at least 2.2 bar (32 PSI) sounds a bit better..

Any way, no idea what tire pressure they are on now, but I just want to know what to aim for :).

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

This is the method I use: https://www.tundras.com/threads/tire-pressure-chalk-test-how-to-guide.2114/

There are many guides on the web for this and all are basically the same.

As most of us change tire sizes, load ratings, amount of weight we have strapped to our chosen vehicle etc. you should go through a process like this to establish a baseline.

I tend to do this when I change tire brands/models or do a major weight change on the truck. I do once cold, then after a good drive try to find a spot to do it again to verify the amount of pressure gain from heat and make sure its not too far off ideal, and adjust if needed.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Lead K9

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

More than you ever wanted to know about tire pressure given the vehicle size, weight, tire size, and tire type.
Indeed.. more then one understands as well lol. I will drop by the garage and talk it over. But I think 32 psi / 2.2 bar will be what I will use.. rig is never really loaded that much and no huge roof racks or anything yet so should be ok.

*edit. Garage says 2.2 bar should be about right and the 2.0 that the manual gives is deffo to low. So we'll see. Actually just wondering what they are at right now. Not used the sidewall bag of AT tires so pressure seems way low..

*edit2. Pressure was just 1.9 bar (27.5 PSI)! Pumped to 2.2 ( 32 PSI) now..

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I'm running 40 psi in my highwaytires on the Hyundai (235/65-16)

Sent from my Samsung S7 using OBTalk app

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

This is the method I use: https://www.tundras.com/threads/tire-pressure-chalk-test-how-to-guide.2114/

As most of us change tire sizes, load ratings, amount of weight we have strapped to our chosen vehicle etc. you should go through a process like this to establish a baseline.

I tend to do this when I change tire brands/models or do a major weight change on the truck. I do once cold, then after a good drive try to find a spot to do it again to verify the amount of pressure gain from heat and make sure its not too far off ideal, and adjust if needed.

Hope that helps!
This is the best method.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet

Hope that helps!
This is exectly the method I use. The only real way to know. I do this twice. Once unloaded, in my daily driver configuration. Then again loaded, with my Overland load. It changes a bit between loaded vs unloaded.

Tires loaded vs unloaded 5 to 10 PSI
Tyres loaded vs unloaded .3 to .7 bar