Ameyryan

Rank 0

Contributor I

Quarryville, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Amey
I have such an important question that I must answer but without any real experience overlanding I am unsure how to proceed. With an extensive background in camping and hiking, I have an inclination towards an answer but would still like advice! So here is the question,

What vehicle should I build from?

There are a few options at my disposal, but these are the only possibilities.

1) 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Premium 6MT
Fantastic car, low mileage, and very reliable. Fuel mileage is also a bonus at an average of 28 mpg (for us). Ours is equipped with a 6 speed manual transmission and, of course, all wheel drive.
Biggest downsides I can see are cargo space and a tan interior which will stain easily.

2) 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Another great option this one being much more equipped for offroad adventures. This vehicle solves the space issue of the Crosstrek too. Our Jeep is equipped with a 6 speed manual transmission as well.
However, with a 4" lift and 35" mud terrain tires our mpg and tire costs would be through the roof (that may or may not be there weather depending :grin:)

3) A 4-door half-ton pickup truck (most likely GMC Sierra or Chevrolet Silverado)
This option as a little more vague as we do not own this vehicle but plan to purchase one to replace the Subaru Crosstrek in about 3-5 years. I am including this because my overland build could consist of components that could translate to a pickup truck without issues (i.e. a universal roof top tent).

Each of these would need to be a daily driver for either my wife or I.

So what do you think???F444CF7E-F88E-4A9E-BD97-DC9B2DCEADE8.jpeg2B13B755-D78F-4F6B-9DE2-C261D276DE5A.jpeg

Last edited:

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I voted Jeep. It'll do everything you need/ask with no questions asked. Change out the tires for something more,,,,,everyday and you'd be good to go. The truck would be option 2 but starting from ground zero it could become expensive or a long term project.

Just my $.02

Reactions: Ameyryan

Ameyryan

Rank 0

Contributor I

Quarryville, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Amey
I voted Jeep. It'll do everything you need/ask with no questions asked. Change out the tires for something more,,,,,everyday and you'd be good to go. The truck would be option 2 but starting from ground zero it could become expensive or a long term project.

Just my $.02
That is a solid point. I know that Jeeps are a common choice for overlander's and what helps is that Wranglers specifically are fairly reliable in tough circumstances. I know Subaru's are very reliable, but mostly in on-road scenarios. I haven't heard much of their reliability off-road from a mechanical standpoint.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

That is a solid point. I know that Jeeps are a common choice for overlander's and what helps is that Wranglers specifically are fairly reliable in tough circumstances. I know Subaru's are very reliable, but mostly in on-road scenarios. I haven't heard much of their reliability off-road from a mechanical standpoint.
I really like the Sub's but I have a AWD Tiguan and wouldn't consider doing the trail camping in it compared to the Cherokee(s). I CAN but not the best option, much like the Subaru. Take it from an old codger and someone who has thrown countless amounts of cash chasing "the rig", get what your heart screams for and go from there, expenses be damned. From you avatar you're a young couple and money out will long be forgotten as the years go by and the life lasting experiences pile up. Short term pain for long term gain.

That said, kids in the future? Get the 4 door truck :mask:

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I was going to vote truck, until GM was mentioned.

Jeep. You already have it. Leave the Crosstrek stock and save it for long road trips. I'd rather be in a fullsize, anywhere they fit, rather than a Jeep. The only time I'd rather be in a Jeep is tight trails where trucks just plain don't fit..........but bikes do. And bikes fit in trucks.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

For general overlanding I vote the 1/2 ton truck or even a mid-size. If you planned on more rock crawling type stuff then the Wrangler. A truck is super versatile and as long as you choose your trails well (or mod it appropriately) it will take you just about anywhere. It will also be much more useful for home stuff like trips to Home Depot or having kids.