Which awning?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Utah
Hello my next step in my build is an awning. I am deciding between a batwing style/foxwing 270 or just the basic one that comes straight off the side. Which do you prefer? and why ? I like them both just wanna hear the pros and cons to what people that have them think I know the 270 awnings take longer to setup but I don't mind that.
Also it will be going on a 5th Gen 4Runner as well

CMJeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Minnesota
Member #

I got the ARB strait out awning. My reasoning is that I can use it for both just shade or attach the room and have my habitat ready to go. Plus the added bonus is that the room has the one side that can also be used as an awning for the times I am using the enclosure but still want an awning.DSC02650.jpg

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I have an ARB 2500 on my Jeep and the Foxwing on my trailer. Both are fantastic, however, if I had to pick just one I’d easily pick the ARB. I use my touring awning ARB room as a tent and it’s awesome. Tons of space, floored, screen windows, and you can stand up!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Cmel06 and David S

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I have been looking and doing some research on awnings as well and I like others have done will probably go with the ARB, specifically the 2000 which is 6.5' for my FJ. The annex is a great bonus with multiple uses that I can see being beneficial to us on the trail.

Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Shade is a premium here in the desert, so when we were deciding on which awning we went with the Oztent Foxwing. It just throws out so much more shade than the straight awnings. You can attach an Oztent to any of the sections and there's also attachable walls available. We also use the Oztent floor saver which is that two-layered heli-mat that lets sand/dirt flow down through to the ground, but not back up. It's so nice. On our trailer we've ordered a Darche 270, which is similar to the Oztent Foxwing but has a few differences that I think we'll prefer, the main one being an even larger shade footprint.

TreadHead Pops

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

Hello my next step in my build is an awning. I am deciding between a batwing style/foxwing 270 or just the basic one that comes straight off the side. Which do you prefer? and why ? I like them both just wanna hear the pros and cons to what people that have them think I know the 270 awnings take longer to setup but I don't mind that.
We run the Foxwing eco 2.1 and I think set up is super quick and we love it! Batwing length is a bit long for our set up..2015 JKU.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

I have been looking and doing some research on awnings as well and I like others have done will probably go with the ARB, specifically the 2000 which is 6.5' for my FJ. The annex is a great bonus with multiple uses that I can see being beneficial to us on the trail.
I've been going back and forth on the 2000 or the 2500 for my FJ. The 2500 seems like it would be a bit too long, and have some overhang on the sides. 2000 does seem like it would fit better, even though its a little less coverage...

Nick Carenza

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Diego, California
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Carenza
Member #

Shade is a premium here in the desert, so when we were deciding on which awning we went with the Oztent Foxwing. It just throws out so much more shade than the straight awnings. You can attach an Oztent to any of the sections and there's also attachable walls available. We also use the Oztent floor saver which is that two-layered heli-mat that lets sand/dirt flow down through to the ground, but not back up. It's so nice. On our trailer we've ordered a Darche 270, which is similar to the Oztent Foxwing but has a few differences that I think we'll prefer, the main one being an even larger shade footprint.
I'm so glad you brought up the Darche! That's exactly the one I was considering against the foxwing. Any updates on which you prefer or would recommend?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'm so glad you brought up the Darche! That's exactly the one I was considering against the foxwing. Any updates on which you prefer or would recommend?
We love the Foxwing we have on our Jeep. The Darche is being installed on our trailer which is still in the build queue at Turtleback. We pick it up sometime next month so I won't have any first-hand experience until after then.

Jeff Hahn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Virginia
Member #

I have the Darche Eclipse 270 and love it!!FB_IMG_1536761128330.jpeg

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I have a Batwing 270 currently, hard to say it takes longer to set up for shade than a straight out awning. I can have it up in 2 min upon arriving back in camp. Only problem I have with ALL vehicle mounted awnings is just that, the fact they are mounted to a vehicle. To have usable shade all day you really need to rotate the vehicle at some point, which is not possible in all sites.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I did a ton of research on this as well and we ended up getting the Frontrunner straight pull out awning. Our Tent has an awning and we can combine the two for a great deal of shade or rainy weather. I suppose our larger consideration was weight. The 270 degree awnings weigh about twice as much as a straight pull out awning and as heavy as we already are every pound counts, especially when it's up on the rack.

Reactions: David S

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I’m a bit of a gear fanatic, so I have tried multiple awnings. The 270 Awning deploy much faster then I can setup my simple ARB awning. I prefer my ARB, because of some additional versatility. I can lower one side are the other, when it rains. It has more adjustability for shade. I prefer my Batwing 270 for how fast it sets up, and packs away. It really depends on your priorities.

Reactions: David S and sabjku